Paying it forward. What a great thing to do!

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would anyone be interested in a pay it forward of a few zoas. I need to conduct a 2 day shipping experiment. I need to order some special insulation before I can ship. I will cover the shipping cost but would ask pictures and observations for the 1st week after coral receipt. If first one works, there will be a second test. Basically looking for 2-3 people from different locations in the us.

I'm in too. In Arkansas... Now you just need west coast

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried the FedEx 2nd Day am which was only partially successful. Bagged better with additional packing materials surrounding bags might have been more successful for me ??? Smaller frags sent through USPS priority also may be a better option. Mostly my mistake of shipping an unhealed coral and FedEx seemingly playing soccer with the boxes were to blame. I certainly would be interested in finding a safe and cost effective way to help promote this movement.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have shipped 2 day during the winter successfully. It being hot now brings up a whole new issue. With the heat packs its easy. But cold packs on the other hand don't last very long.

mfief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am open to receive as well however I am in NC so it doesn't give the west coast or mountain region to have a well varied test bed.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad to see this thread still going strong. I plan to reship out some of the original corals that did not fare so well on first go around to Joe, Jeff and Floyd once they have healed. Then for me personally will find 2-3 R2R members I feel are stand out candidates to receive similar 'Pay it Forward' frag packs. I like the idea of the 'sender' choosing a recipient that they personally feel worthy of the gift. I have given away many corals over the years and primarily the recipients have been upstanding hobbyists with few exceptions. This being a first for me in shipping now am pretty jazzed about this long distance variation of paying it forward.

If this turns out to be a actual forum here on R2R, meaning if Rev agrees I'd be happy to moderate this one.

Cheers, Todd

You can send me some free stuff!

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT THREAD (hope to pay it forward soon)

Cheers to everyone on this thread...As a new hobbyist, I am experiencing sticker shock first hand. I only have a 28 gallon nano and I can't believe how much it takes ($) to stock the tank, so the idea of paying it forward is a great idea.

1) TJ had been AWESOME in giving me invaluable advice. He would be great to mod this thread.
2) EVERYONE on this site has been great. Being new, I have a LOT of questions and people here are always patient and helpful.

3) I only have a 28 gallon nano, so HOPEFULLY I will be paying it forward soon. I am trying my best to make the best possible choices for growing my corals and making my tank look awesome (I just started a tank build thread for my tank). I am told I will need to frag sooner than later as my tank is so small and I will GLADLY pay it forward.
4) I just participated in the Cherry Coral live sale yesterday and purchased about 20 frags, so now my tank will DEFINITELY be well stocked. LOTS of ACANS.
5) When the time comes to frag, hopefully someone will help me frag. I would hate to have good intentions to help others only to have my coral die :(

CORALS TO GROW OUT IN MY TANK (I was told these may grow fast and I will frag when I need to and pay it forward for FREE)
  • Duncan (2 separate pieces about 6 heads total)
  • Kenya tree frag
  • 2 Kryptonite Candy Cane Coral frags (7 heads total)
  • approx 7 different ACAN frags (after the cherry coral sale)
  • Clove polyp (with orange on leave and green center)
  • I have others, but was told these don't grow as fast... Got about 4 different Acro's to try when I get my new light.

GREAT WORK EVERYONE.....KEEP IT UP

Adam

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have shipped 2 day during the winter successfully. It being hot now brings up a whole new issue. With the heat packs its easy. But cold packs on the other hand don't last very long.

Pete

I am not looking for handouts, but if you need to do another test on shipping, let me know..I am in California and it seems that west coast people are needed. ;-) I can always try to fit in a few more corals :D

Fishon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thread!! This is what reef forms are about, this community mentality is amazing. Im more then happy to trade or send any free corals that are in my tank. Especially to those that don't have accsess to certain pieces, or don't want a dent in there wallet over a single frag. I feel like if I can get someone a frag they can't get or pay for then I'm getting more out of the collony I initially invested in. I'll make a list of what I have in my tank. I would be interested as well on shipping with the heat. I've sent corals to new york in July and noticed that the cold packs made it too cold and using no cold source at all and insulating extreamly well with news paper worked best. I feel when the freight is in flight the bays get quite cold, or at least that's my theory. I would like to here other reefers experience when shipping in summer. Great thread joekool!!!
Cheers

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When frags come to me they take longer since I'm not near a major city. And man it's hot and HUMID here. I always worry and have had some not make it. Ups is terrible choice for my area because they go to businesses first and it is usually only 1 to 2 trucks delivering in my county. Deliveries at my home almost always are on the truck in heat ALL day and show up at my door around 5pmish. So if anyone wants to test for heat survival my location will be a good choice.

Jackie

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thread!! This is what reef forms are about, this community mentality is amazing. Im more then happy to trade or send any free corals that are in my tank. Especially to those that don't have accsess to certain pieces, or don't want a dent in there wallet over a single frag. I feel like if I can get someone a frag they can't get or pay for then I'm getting more out of the collony I initially invested in. I'll make a list of what I have in my tank. I would be interested as well on shipping with the heat. I've sent corals to new york in July and noticed that the cold packs made it too cold and using no cold source at all and insulating extreamly well with news paper worked best. I feel when the freight is in flight the bays get quite cold, or at least that's my theory. I would like to here other reefers experience when shipping in summer. Great thread joekool!!!
Cheers

I actually started a warm weather shipping tip thread to have people chime in with their experiences. Unfortunately nobody replied.

mfief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though it isn't the topic of this thread it is definitely value added. I have never shipped before. So for me to share mine later I will need to know some of the insurance and outs.

Shipping is off topic but applies to getting healthy paid forward corals to the recipients

Nevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get involved in this as well. Both receiving and paying forward. I am new to fragging coral though (have only fragged GSP and one of my zoa colonies) and have never shipped anything. Also my only mature tank is a 28 gal nano so I don't have a ton of stuff but I'm working on stocking my newer 75 and will eventually have more.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am smiling after reading this thread!

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying theres a chance............what was all this 1 in a billion talk :)

I like the 2 day shipping trials. Shipping cost over night is outrageous and would be a hard thing as the sender to cover along with the PIF. Lol. Will be interested to follow the experiments to see how they all fair. Have seen it go both ways with the method.

Always down to be a guinea pig test subject when corals are involved.lol Nor Cal valleys. Have never recieved anything in the mail - too scared to order shipped. Have done a pay it forward with a free frag pack to gain shipping experience once tho to a fellow r2r member. Did the same thing - scanned the site reading threads paying attention to poster and what they post. Also looked for someone with a new build that needed help stocking. Found a participant that fit the bill perfect and was an avid helper here on the site.

tdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea! I know in the planted tank/freshwater world they had raok (random acts of kindness) that was really cool. I am certainly interested as I am looking to try my hands on sps is anyone is willing to donate to my new reef wanna be tank lol. Of course in return I have zoas that I am able to pass on to the next newb looking to get their hands wet!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Wow what can I say but this thread has taken off in a great way. It sounds like we are going in the right direction. We need to do a few tests with the shipping. Seamus i'm very interested in your pvc package shipping. If the coral remains wet with enough water and is solid in the PVC were it cant be smashed up then I think its a go with that. Sure we would love to see some photos of ideas or your idea.

As stated earlier in this thread to yeild to me. I feel that this thread would be fine to post wanting to pay it forward on this thread. I also have no problem with a member asking for a paticular frag or coral they would like someone to donate to them.
I do feel that there is some variables that should be up to the person offering the corals or fish for that matter to whom they want to give them too.

recipients should be commited to reef keeping. Have maintained and are able to keep corals alive. Im all for people starting out but it would be nice to know that the person is able to keep them alive. in this case I would fully support the members just starting out buy sending corals that are great for beginers and are easy to care for instead of shipping out advanced care corals.

Next on list
Thanks for stopping by the thread REV.
I feel TJ would be a great Mod for this thread and he would gladly accept.
I would also be open to Modding this thread.

Last but not least.
For those of you with concerns about laws in your state not allowing trade or donations of corals. Conduct these through PM's you can post and say glad to have paid it forward today or something like that without any details etc.

Let's get this shipping going right and then we will know how to get this going efficently. I'm more than willing to use my accounts to ship and email labels. All i would require is that you cover the shipping fee and if any paypal fee. this would help us get a reduced rate. If we can get this going and we start shipping regularly than we get a better rate. Like seamus said i will link fedex account to my ebay account and receive a lower shipping rate.

Seamus did you have some for of shipping on your end?

Also want to give USPS a shot with priority express which is over night. they by far have the best retail rates of any shipper and possibly less with an account.

Last of all I have a mixed reef and I'm willing to do test shippments and evaluate the packaging on this thread so we can get this going. We can test out different shippers too. I dont currently have anything to send out that is of size for me to want to give away. I would only feel comfortable in sending out nice size frags in the 4 to 5 inch size and currently dont have any to do this with. I'm not a micro frag type guy. I also wont purchase any corals at the 1'' size whats the point in that, waiting six months to see it start to do something.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back