Paying it forward. What a great thing to do!

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some reefers just aren't as nice on sharing knowledge, and corals for a great price.

cdgardner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea and while I am also new to R2R I am only kind of new to saltwater. I've had a tank on and off for 7 years, just started up again after a nasty tank crash (origins still unknown) that wiped out the majority of my tank. I set my tank up a couple months ago and just added my first real fish with some corals. I am hoping to start fragging in a few months and I would love to participate, though I'm sure what I have is very common.

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am In the process of getting my grow out tank up and running and would like to take part In this as well when I start getting stuff to grow. please be patient as my money right now Is very tight with the wife and kids and all being out and sick, but I would like to do this as I have been after ohio clubs to do this and they just blow it off, we did this when I was lived Michigan with the Michigan reefers and it worked great, even meet in parking lots of lfs and even had a few lfs participate as well

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let you all know we might lose this thread. I tried to come up with some understanding guidelines we could work on together to make everything fair and understood. I did this and the seahorsekeeper took it upon herself to remove it from this thread because she said that it didnt include what we the staff have given you rules for. Even though she posted them earlier in the thread and told us about them. She didnt even take the time to ask me to add them to the guidelines that were not even done. She just deleted them.

This is ridicules.

she even said the no one with a commercial account or affiliation could give something away for free even if they were acting as a just a member. I told her that that is garbage because venders on R2R give stuff away all the time.

Can someone with an email copy of the post with the understanding guidelines copy and repost it on here so we can finish it properly. And of course add these R2R rules to it.

Im in the process of speaking with some other mods and plan on talking to Rev about this.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let you all know we might lose this thread. I tried to come up with some understanding guidelines we could work on together to make everything fair and understood. I did this and the seahorsekeeper took it upon herself to remove it from this thread because she said that it didnt include what we the staff have given you rules for. Even though she posted them earlier in the thread and told us about them. She didnt even take the time to ask me to add them to the guidelines that were not even done. She just deleted them.

This is ridicules.

she even said the no one with a commercial account or affiliation could give something away for free even if they were acting as a just a member. I told her that that is garbage because venders on R2R give stuff away all the time.

Can someone with an email copy of the post with the understanding guidelines copy and repost it on here so we can finish it properly. And of course add these R2R rules to it.

Im in the process of speaking with some other mods and plan on talking to Rev about this.

I agree with anyone including vendors (sponsoring or not) have the opportunity of donating corals. When I read the rules I probably had the same thoughts you did, and decided to keep my mouth shut to not stir the pot and effect this thread. Why all of the sudden are new rules trying to be created as a reaction of this thread when we already have this?

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137335

They can shut down the thread, close the giveaway forum or whatever else they want. It will not stop me from donations, trades or anything else of that matter. We can always choose to do this privately if need be to help the admin feel more comfortable about this site having any sort of liability.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay lets continue to work on the guidelines....

1. We need to add that fellow reefers donating the corals will make every effort to provide pest free corals.
2. We need to add that any fellow reefer will need to do there own do diligence and quarantine new arrivals of corals properly to not introduce pests into there own aquarium.

We need to do this because we don't want anyone to lose all there currently healthy corals because lack of care. We all understand that things are missed and that there is a chance we could get some form of pests from someone else. I know that if both the sender and the receiver take every effort to make sure they are not giving away pests or putting pests in there tank because lack of quarantine on the receivers part this should be great.

Anyone have anything to add to these two adds?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mod is acting on their own here and the vendor rules will stay. No one is shutting your thread down or stopping you from giving away corals if you want.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with anyone including vendors (sponsoring or not) have the opportunity of donating corals. When I read the rules I probably had the same thoughts you did, and decided to keep my mouth shut to not stir the pot and effect this thread. Why all of the sudden are new rules trying to be created as a reaction of this thread when we already have this?

FREE Coral and Equipment forum! Check it!

They can shut down the thread, close the giveaway forum or whatever else they want. It will not stop me from donations, trades or anything else of that matter. We can always choose to do this privately if need be to help the admin feel more comfortable about this site having any sort of liability.

I agree. We can just do this privately. We can just use this thread or start a new one to figure out the best way to ship the corals at the best possible price too.
Might be a good idea maybe to just post ready to PIF and let members contact privately if they want and let the giver decide whom to send to and discuss what each of them expect. We could also use this thread to say thank you's and hey look what I got as a PIF

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know we are a team and work as if we were one , we will back Seahorse keepers actions 100%. She is trying to help you make this work and follow our rules at the same time, I'd work with her if you really want to do this thing.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The person donating and reef2reef.com have no liability to any damages of any kind.

2. The sender has no obligation to uphold any guarantee of any sort.

3. Shipping will not be refunded under any circumstances in the case of any doa, lost packages etc.

4. Anyone attempting monetary gains with PIF will be banned from any association and use of the program.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mod is acting on their own here and the vendor rules will stay. No one is shutting your thread down or stopping you from giving away corals if you want.

sounds good to me.

One thing I'm not sure about is these vendor rules as they give stuff away often. Some ones tank crashes and a vendor on here sends them a bunch of free corals etc etc. I guess then they need to be dealt with if these are R2R rules because they do it often.
Why is it now that vendors can't give stuff away. I think if there was an understanding that they can not be held reliable for any issues from giving away free corals it shouldn't be an issue.

They are still paying to support this forum just as I am. In fact I think it might bring more people to this forum from other forums and they will use these venders that advertise on R2R because they are so cool to give away free corals on R2R. Which intern would most likely bring more advertising dollars and clicks payments to R2R.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think people will have to use their own discretion and make the "transaction" in private.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know we are a team and work as if we were one , we will back Seahorse keepers actions 100%. She is trying to help you make this work and follow our rules at the same time, I'd work with her if you really want to do this thing.

First off there is better ways of handling things than just deleting postings. We could add to them edit them or maybe try to discuss it before just going and deleting a post.

We will do this with or with out R2R. We can do this privately. We are only discussing it on here. If we want to do this thing really.
Like stated before maybe you should inforce your said rules with all the vendors that are currently and have given away free equipment and corals openly on R2R. you wont because they pay R2R to advertise and be on here.

I'm waiting for Rev to call me to talk about it.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe SeahoseKeeper or another mod could sit in on this and help make sure that all rules are kept and help us tweak the PIF rules?

sure we can do that. but if we put something up as far as discussing the rules as we were working on them. they will just get deleted again.

Im just going to go Private with the whole thing. We should keep it going just under our own rules and privately

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously? A couple of you are acting like babies.

We want you to do this and to have fun! But we do have a few rules of the site that need to be followed.

1. Non- Sponsoring vendors cannot participate (because they use the opportunity to sell under the radar which is not fair to paying sponsors). Any R2R sponsors that want to participate can. What's the confusion?

2. Follow the TOS

3. Don't call out mods. Send a private message. We're only trying to look out for the best of you and R2R whether you believe that or not. We spend a lot of time discussing and acting on issues that might effect our members negatively and try to keep it from happening.

I am even thinking about starting a whole new sub forum for you guys and gals. Just relax. ;)

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, phew thought that this was going down hill here. So following a few R2R guidelines I'd really like to see this have its own sub-forum as Rev hinted at and as I stated earlier in this thread I would be happy to moderate it as I plan to be an active participant. I really like the idea of the multiple packing for the same coral type to determine real survival differences. After reading this for past few days here am fairly excited that this will turn into exactly what I had hoped for, KUDOS to all that have participated thus far. Personally would love to hear from someone who has a reliable technique for shipping larger coral pieces/colonies as believe that was my issue for first attempt here. Smaller corals definitely fared better than the larger ones.

Mahalo, Todd

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 104 75.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 16 11.6%
Back