• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500w. Titanium heater. What’s the best spot? I was thinking A but it’s a small volume area with rapid moving water, water might pass through without being heated enough.

What would you do?

EC768A9B-532D-43D9-86F7-4BE37D46F8CA.jpeg

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A and B are a nightmare to inspect and access the heater, in A it will get caked in dirt, D is crammed as well and might not be all that good for the pump

water might pass through without being heated enough
Doesn't matter, it's water, it will mix, the heat will definitely go somewhere, if anything the water going fast might be better but the difference is not really worth the drawback of having it crammed in somewhere

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have added a “it doesn’t matter” choice. Maybe I’m overthinking this

If constant cooler water is rushing by the heater, it’s not getting heated. The only way for water to heat in a small section with constant rapid turnover is to be in close proximity of the the heater, but with the speed it passes through, it won’t be in that section for more than a second or two, and that’s not enough to heat it properly

But if there is a larger section, then yes water still rushes by, but there is also a large volume that remains behind, that retains heat from the element. And then new cool water comes into a warmer section, so the new water doesn’t need to come in close proximity of the heater to be warmer, it will mix with water that already is warmed.

Ok I know I’m overthinking but this makes sense. And I want to use A or B ideally but I feel it’s not efficient. Someone explain to me why A would work

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If constant cooler water is rushing by the heater, it’s not getting heated. The only way for water to heat in a small section with constant rapid turnover is to be in close proximity of the the heater, but with the speed it passes through, it won’t be in that section for more than a second or two, and that’s not enough to heat it properly

But if there is a larger section, then yes water still rushes by, but there is also a large volume that remains behind, that retains heat from the element. And then new cool water comes into a warmer section, so the new water doesn’t need to come in close proximity of the heater to be warmer, it will mix with water that already is warmed.

Ok I know I’m overthinking but this makes sense. And I want to use A or B ideally but I feel it’s not efficient. Someone explain to me why A would work

I think you are over thinking it.

The heat from the heater will be transferred to the water any of the locations.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It doesn't really work that way. Faster moving water will not heat up as much, this is true. However, the total heat energy going into the aquarium is the same in either case. (Within reason)

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative Marine helios the water needs to dissipate the heat constantly.

E5 - Element (I) Error: Element (I) is out of water or low water flow detected around element (I).

E6 - Element(II) Error: Element (II) is out of water or low water flow detected around element (II).

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't really work that way. Faster moving water will not heat up as much, this is true. However, the total heat energy going into the aquarium is the same in either case. (Within reason)

I understand energy ( heat in this case) can’t be destroyed, only transferred. So. How’s that work in realty with A?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rapid turnover with little heating is good, that means the whole tank is heated up little by little, and the heater is staying on until the whole tank is at temp, rather than a small amount being heated up all the way, turning the heater off and then mixing in and cooling down again and the heater turns on again.

Sure the water leaving the heater is colder, but there's more of it, carrying the same total energy

But really it doesn't matter all that much

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid turnover with little heating is good, that means the whole tank is heated up little by little, and the heater is staying on until the whole tank is at temp, rather than a small amount being heated up all the way, turning the heater off and then mixing in and cooling down again and the heater turns on again.

Sure the water leaving the heater is colder, but there's more of it, carrying the same total energy

But really it doesn't matter all that much

This makes sense.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poll is closed, but my vote is C

I've got an amazing heater rack from @melev and keep my 300w titanium heaters on the back side of my skimmer section. Easy access and they get high flow.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand energy ( heat in this case) can’t be destroyed, only transferred. So. How’s that work in realty with A?
The heat transferred to the water will be the same, just more dispersed at the point of heating. Your tank volume should heat at the same rate.

Examples:

Your tank is 100 gallon volume.

Low flow area. In 10 minutes a volume of 10 gallons slowly wafts over the heater with half the movement generated by convection, that heats that volume by 10F. The 10 gallons gets immediately mixed with the rest of the water in your sump and then tank. Overall your tank warms by 1 degrees.

High flow area. In the same 10 minutes 50 gallons of water pass over the heater and this volume gets heated by 2 degrees, this then gets promptly mixed with the rest of the water in the sump and tank. Overall your tank warms by 1 degree.

/note that the numbers are for easy math only. It’d take a ridiculous heater to heat 100gallons by 1 degree in 10 mins.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally run 2 heaters and in a similar sump I would use B and C but really have no reason why lol. As long as it's wet and water moving it's good. My latest build I'm using A and C after looking at it.
PXL_20240315_222422657.jpg

My C will already have bio media, surf2, and a skimmer. And possibly rock rubble.

I am leaning towards B, it has enough room to be before the sock and not touch it

Attachments

• 06227063-98BE-4372-9842-7F527131A04A.jpeg
    06227063-98BE-4372-9842-7F527131A04A.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 75E9BC03-F684-4550-93D5-B0910C8720B9.jpeg
    75E9BC03-F684-4550-93D5-B0910C8720B9.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 12

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back