Sorta In A Lull. What Do You Think?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
I can only show my reef tanks and salty friends so many times before it gets redundant. Also, a lot of reefing topics have already been covered. I am not an influencer or content creator, so my videos are always unscripted and usually last minute.

Lately I have been thinking about what direction to take the channel. I could always try the “Look at me, I’m important” approach, but I don’t believe that, nor could I keep a straight face trying to convince people.

I could go full influencer, and start stacking brand names on a uniform like a NASCAR driver. But I already have a full time job, and I’m not a good salesman. Plus I have a huge conscience.

So I’m kinda stuck on what to do, if anything. YouTube has become a huge marketing machine, and candid amateur videos aren’t exactly what people want to see these days. But it’s still fun to make them, as my favorite part is talking with Reefers from around the world, just like on R2R! Hmm…

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Have fun, if you’re having fun it’s not work, if you’re not having fun then it’s not working for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Have fun, if you’re having fun it’s not work, if you’re not having fun then it’s not working for you.
So far it’s been fun. But it does take up about 4-5 hours of my week, plus the costs of equipment and software. Sometimes I wonder why I should continue, when so many are already filling the niche. Maybe I went a little overboard getting a forum on here too. Lol!

Upvote 0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I can only show my reef tanks and salty friends so many times before it gets redundant. Also, a lot of reefing topics have already been covered. I am not an influencer or content creator, so my videos are always unscripted and usually last minute.

Lately I have been thinking about what direction to take the channel. I could always try the “Look at me, I’m important” approach, but I don’t believe that, nor could I keep a straight face trying to convince people.

I could go full influencer, and start stacking brand names on a uniform like a NASCAR driver. But I already have a full time job, and I’m not a good salesman. Plus I have a huge conscience.

So I’m kinda stuck on what to do, if anything. YouTube has become a huge marketing machine, and candid amateur videos aren’t exactly what people want to see these days. But it’s still fun to make them, as my favorite part is talking with Reefers from around the world, just like on R2R! Hmm…
I like where this is headed. If you can get some good reefers to have a conversation with it would be interesting. And, I am not talking the influencer/ultra wannabe poplar's either. Some good down to earth reefers with decent hobby knowledge. Maybe toss a couple newbs in the mix either because they want help or because they have done something innovative.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
I like where this is headed. If you can get some good reefers to have a conversation with it would be interesting. And, I am not talking the influencer/ultra wannabe poplar's either. Some good down to earth reefers with decent hobby knowledge. Maybe toss a couple newbs in the mix either because they want help or because they have done something innovative.
I like that idea, but it’s not really practical for me anymore. A lot of my reefing buddies left the hobby, and I don’t know any Reefers that are local. Let alone anyone willing to be on YouTube. Lol!

Upvote 0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
why not dedicate the channel to a journal of your tank? a video a week on exactly what you did throughout the week? or detailed videos of each piece of your equipment, why you picked it, and how it works and how you maintenance it?

and as a bonus, you being an honest(having a conscious) person is better than being an influencer. you can be a defluencer…in the sense you can be unbiased and provide direct feedback

there’s this youtuber: aqua splendor who just uploads videos documenting something that occurred. little speaking and more ambient music and visuals of the tank. sometimes it’s to document a new addition to the tank, others to document issues occurring. i always found the videos somewhat informative (i’m a visual learner) and soothing(because of the videography/editing and music)

if i were to delve into the youtube rabbit hole, that’s a path i would take. otherwise a podcast type channel where i invite local reefers with the goal of maybe interviewing or talking with well known hobbyists

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
why not dedicate the channel to a journal of your tank? a video a week on exactly what you did throughout the week? or detailed videos of each piece of your equipment, why you picked it, and how it works and how you maintenance it?

and as a bonus, you being an honest(having a conscious) person is better than being an influencer. you can be a defluencer…in the sense you can be unbiased and provide direct feedback

there’s this youtuber: aqua splendor who just uploads videos documenting something that occurred. little speaking and more ambient music and visuals of the tank. sometimes it’s to document a new addition to the tank, others to document issues occurring. i always found the videos somewhat informative (i’m a visual learner) and soothing(because of the videography/editing and music)

if i were to delve into the youtube rabbit hole, that’s a path i would take. otherwise a podcast type channel where i invite local reefers with the goal of maybe interviewing or talking with well known hobbyists
Good idea! That’s what I do with the monthly update videos too. I might just do those in the future and have one monthly video. I’m learning that YouTube is a marketing place similar to R2R. Most popular videos are from businesses who are selling products. While I do have a reefing business, it is just a side gig and will never be my main source of income. But maybe slowing down and doing less videos is something to try. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back