spspirates 150 gallon build

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viewing some rock this week so I can get that up and going in some brute trash cans.

What kind of rock are you planning on going with? Keep taking your time with the set up. The thought and patience really shows in the quality of what's coming along. I really rushed my previous tank and the one thing I'm glad I did with the new one was take my time.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will tell you your right. I will say I have been in this hobby for ten years straight. This to me is a little break but at the same time it is a build that I get to think twice before I do something. So far I wouldn't change a thing and I'm almost ready for water. Very happy with the outcome. Can't wait to see your tank specs and pics of your reef!
I'm really hoping I can get my hands on a bunch of pukani......we'll see!

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One great thing about stumbling on to a build thread like this one and going through the whole thing at once, is that it all comes together pretty quick! :)

Beautiful tank and a ton of attention to detail. First class all the way. Love the tank and the sump. I almost placed an order for a ReefSavvy tank a few months ago to replace my old and tired Oceanic 140. Really wishing I had now.

Anyway, from one Parrot Head to another, really enjoyed reading this thread this evening and looking forward to seeing this tank finish coming together. Fins Up!

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HULA HULA!! Thanks bro! I think a may go back and read it over myself. Thanks for the kind words too. I'll tell you this tank is a beast! Heavy and built like a ironclad ship! Felix does a heck of a job. I may have to buy me a fake Palm tree to add to the room to complete the package!..LOL!

Last edited:

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I hope you get a ton of tonga - would look so sweet. Clean setup you have here - looks awesome!. I use vacuum hose to bundle my lights just like that - works great. I also use it around a few buntched clear drain tubes coming off my reactors in the sump to keep the light out and them clean.
Stoked to see it runnin!

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Originally I was going to run a cord cover down the wall. Doing so I would have had to paint it the same color as the wall then screw it to the wall........l then saw the grey corrugated tubing that would do the trick for me.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I hope you get a ton of tonga - would look so sweet. Clean setup you have here - looks awesome!. I use vacuum hose to bundle my lights just like that - works great. I also use it around a few buntched clear drain tubes coming off my reactors in the sump to keep the light out and them clean.
Stoked to see it runnin!

Thanks again!!........Me too! Dead branch coral or what we like to call "Tonga" is such a common thing on the reefs and I think the smaller fish like wrasses can really relate to it well. Theres plenty of nooks and crannies to look for pods and small places to hide from other fish which in turn helps them to stay healthy by drastically decreasing stress within the fish. It also provides plenty of surface area for bacteria and to grow cool corals. I think what I'll end up doing is having two islands and at the base of each island will be Tonga branch.

freak1456

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dry Pukani is the way to go. Lots of surface area and very large light weight rocks. Thats what I used in my 150. Got a 50lb box and had more then enough for the aqua scape. Ended up with a bunch left over to stick in my sump. And depending on where you get it from *cough cough* BRS *cough* they will work with you on the size and shape that will work best in your system.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One great thing about stumbling on to a build thread like this one and going through the whole thing at once, is that it all comes together pretty quick! :)

Beautiful tank and a ton of attention to detail. First class all the way. Love the tank and the sump.

Agree with you 100% Fin.

Great job Andy.

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. I need to go back and get caught up on your build! Stunning!
I bought both pukani and tonga branch from BRS. The pukani is very lightwieght and porous but dirty. While I love the look of piled tonga it is like a brick. I know there are different opinions on rock density and bacteria growth so I will leave that alone. With the corals I know you will be buying the rock doesnt matter a darn bit!

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. I need to go back and get caught up on your build! Stunning!
I bought both pukani and tonga branch from BRS. The pukani is very lightwieght and porous but dirty. While I love the look of piled tonga it is like a brick. I know there are different opinions on rock density and bacteria growth so I will leave that alone. With the corals I know you will be buying the rock doesnt matter a darn bit!

Thanks!! I'm going to try to see what I can do local first then I may hit up BRS and yes your right about tonga being very dense and less surface area for bacteria than pukani bar none.....but I love the natural look of it.

Last edited:

freak1456

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! I'm going to try to see what I can do local first then I may hit up BRS and yes your right about tonga being very dense and less surface area for bacteria than pukani bar none.....but I love the natural look of it.

Pukani is VERY dirty when it comes in making the cureing process take a bit longer than most other rock. Took me about 2 1/2 months and for the first 3 weeks I was doing 50% water changes every 2 or 3 days because of how much was leaching out of it.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani is VERY dirty when it comes in making the cureing process take a bit longer than most other rock. Took me about 2 1/2 months and for the first 3 weeks I was doing 50% water changes every 2 or 3 days because of how much was leaching out of it.
+1 I went with Marco this time for that reason

Back