OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for you comments, got LFS coming out by the end of the week to help get the tank and stand united then on to plumbing

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and stand are gorgeous and that sump is pretty hot too! Congrats and best of luck with your build...

jdack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say is the biggest concern/issue with having a tank this size or larger?

Cbenner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say after making sure your floor can hold the weight and your budget can afford the maintenance. Is it BIG enough. Lol

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Automate as much as possible. I couldn't imagine doing manual water changes on this tank. My last was 100 gal half round that was setup for fresh water that rigged for saltwater. Could not use metal halides. I had t5 and later LEDs. This time it will be old school Metal Halides and T5, really excited about that aspect of this build. I had no sump no refugium and two small openings in the top that made it very difficult to do maintanence. So big plans to make this build as user friendly as possible

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW Love your tank name! ARRRRR!

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got the tank out of the garage, but it still didn't make it onto the stand. The way the stand is made the tank will have to be lifted to clear the stand and placed directly on top of the styrofoam coushion it will rest on, not enough lifting power available today as of now here they sit image.jpeg

mniemann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choices! That's such a big tank it's a focal point and only fitting all aspects are perfect. Like a high end piece of furniture! Completely impressed, I must say I like your style.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok like I stated earlier, I've been waiting on this tank for what seemed like decades. I knew it was going to take awhile to get here so around March of 2015, I started getting ready, and I had numerous projects to start and finish, plenty to keep me busy and not be too anxious about when the tank would be done. For starters I needed to finish my water room which was in the garage. I originally had two 35 gal Brutes, that was definitely not going to work not enough volume. So I replaced the Brutes, which now contain my cycling Pukani dry rock, with 1 55 gal RODI reservoir and 2 50 gal ACE tanks. Plumbed and connected to RODI unit image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg Here I put in a Stenner dual head pump for AWC, with the tubing running through the attic. The red tubing exiting the top of the RODI reservoir is for the ATO/ Avast Marine. The Stenner is controlled by the Apex, comes on 4 times a day with a total of a 2 gal water exchange per day

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh! I really like your setup for water changes. That's what I would like to do with mine so when I get to that point I may need to pick your brain. By the way I really like your artwork on the wall. Is that a school of pompano?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful system so far! RS makes a great looking tank and awesome stand too.
How long did you have to suffer (wait) for the tank? :D Waiting is always the hardest part!

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful system so far! RS makes a great looking tank and awesome stand too.
How long did you have to suffer (wait) for the tank? :D Waiting is always the hardest part!
Thanks you for commenting on my thread. so much of this build has been influenced by following your builds and congrats on your new endeavor, True d2mini style. Now that I'mfinished blowing smoke:), to answer your question, 14 grueling months, but as I said there was a lot to do, the last 2-3 months was the worst

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back