The LFS redoux

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend a lot of time talking with fellow "industry" people, and I hear a lot of the same things...

Online vendors moan about how Amazon and eBay are killing their sales, brick and mortar stores complain about how online stores are hurting them...urghh...It is frustrating sometimes. For some weird reason, the "business guy" in me wanted to come out to play today and throw out some ideas for the much beleaguered "LFS's" out there.

Aquarium Supplies 2.jpg

There is a better way..I think.

Now, don't get me wrong- I'm no expert on running a brick-and-mortar store (and it can be argued the same in the online arena, too..), but I do like to think and ponder and sometimes, I come up with ideas that, in talented hands (not mine) might just work. None of the stuff I'm talking about here hasn't been entertained by someone at one time or another...But no one has done it...yet. People are convinced that we can't because "it's not done that way."

Urrgh...Get that crap out of your head...NOW!

I read a lot in various business publications about how Amazon entered as a disruptive force back in the day and shook up the online market forever. It did. Recently, I read that Amazon has applied for a patent for a point of sale (point of sale) system...Well, point of sale systems are used in...brick-and-mortar stores! Could it be- the mighty Amazon has reached its asymptotic limit and is looking for more fertile fields? Could it be that I simply don't know what the ------- I'm talking about?

Yeah, more likely.

Anyhow, not knowing what I'm talking about has never kept me from talking about stuff...often to my own downfall. ;) Oh well, here's my idea for today.

Go back to the wonder, the awe, and the experience that only you can deliver. Imagine if the internet was here before the brick and mortar store. What would customers think, upon entering your store for the first time, and actually seeing and getting to touch stuff? Time for YOU to be the disruptive source...embark on the Blue Ocean.

347.jpg

Ahh..the wonder of it all..remember?

For all you brick-and-mortar people, or those contemplating a brick and mortar store, I am sure you may have thought of this once before, but here goes:

Re-imagine your store like a website!

Huh?

Think about it: Customers go to a website and browse. If they like what they see, they buy. Crazy concept. Often times, in regards to dry goods, specifically, a customer has questions or needs information about a product that is simply unobtainable by reading or viewing online. They need to handle the product, see how it is built, works, fits in their setup, etc. What has been happening recently is that people go into the LFS to "touch" the product, then race home and buy on line.

Urr.

The disconnect, IMHO, is that the LFS simply cannot stock everything that the online vendor offers, especially not at blowout prices. Or can they? It's no secret that most LFS would gladly order you an item if you want it, even if they don't stock it. Let's face it, with retail store overhead and economic pressures, you simply can't expect the LFS to stock every item.

So part of my suggestion is for the LFS to act more like a point of sale "kiosk" for the dry goods they want to carry. In other words, instead of having 3 of every single cannister filter out there, the store might have a representative model from each line in the "store" for customers to look at. If the customer likes, he/she orders from the store on the spot, and has it in a few days...just like online. They could either pick it up, or perhaps you could drop ship it. I think it's better for them to pick it up. Pricing could be
competitive with many online vendors.

n0607ecommerce.gif

Disrupt the model...it's possible.

Not exactly revolutionary, but it's a start. It's known in retailing as "omnichannel retailing", and it's an interesting concept. Potential downsides? There are a few, and you'll have to think through them (I'm not gonna give you EVERY single bit of information here; creativity is needed).

Some examples:

Wholesalers have minimums, and you can't just order a $12 net and expect the wholesaler to deliver it to your store cheerfully in a few days. You may have to wait a day or two until you accumulate enough orders to place an order with your wholesaler.

Other problem. You still have to stock some items for immediate gratification, such as foods, medications, carbon, etc., and you have to decide which ones are necessary to stock...Not a difficult problem, but something to think about.

So the mid 21st century LFS, in this model, will become more of a smaller, lean, clean "kiosk" or "fulfillment center", product-wise- which makes it competitive with the online guys from a price standpoint, time-to-delivery standpoint, and offers the wonderful advantages of direct face-to-face interaction with a genuine fish geek who can answer questions, show comparisons, and interact in a way that's just not possible online. And, you have all of the great potential for "upselling" ("Well, if you're buying that reactor, have you tried "XYZ" media in it? We have some...").

This type of model allows brick and mortar to kick some butt on the Amazon garage vendors that have been hurting them so much for so long. You simply won't get the service that you'll get from a LFS.

It's a bold change, fraught with some challenges, including initial customer resistance to the concept of going in to buy something and not leaving with it, but that is easily overcome with that most elusive of all ingredients- the personal touch and branding that only YOU can provide.

So, what about livestock? Well, this is a bit different, too. There are no doubt ways to approach that. You should definitely have a nice selection of stuff for customers, so that they can walk in and do the time-honored thing of buying a bunch of neon tetras on impulse and taking them home. However, what about having a "virtual inventory", where you have a few tanks filled with your top-selling stuff, and then a couple of iPads of things you can get in 2-3 days...Like corals, speciality fish, etc.

You'll have to do some "curation" of offerings here, and monitor what your suppliers have available...which can change often...and take time and energy. It's at least as easy as maintaining 50 tanks of fish and corals, and you can use your staff in a more sales-driven endeavour. It will eliminate dangerous impulse buying and perhaps even save lives of animals...It will require you to interact with a lot of different suppliers, some of whom will want nothing to do with you. But I'll bet a number of them will work with you. Some might think progressively and embrace it! You can even have "weekly specials" like a restaurant ("This week, we're highlighting Unique Corals Acros, or XYZ Corals Acans", or whatever...). Prices can be competitive with online suppliers to reflect the new realities of lower operating costs. You may have to figure out minimums and such with the suppliers, but these are details that can be figured out.

Raceway-Aquarium-Unique-Corals.jpg

Who could help you with out-of-the-box approaches to offering livestock?

It will involve coordination with your suppliers, and forging a new type of supply model...Some wholesalers and purveyors of products will hate you for it. Others will recognize this as a new model for retail and support you. Yeah, forging a new direction is scary, hard work, and often times fraught with frustration. But it can be hugely rewarding.

I'm sick and tired of seeing local fish stores beaten down, berated, and out-flanked by online vendors of dubious quality...Or even of good quality. It's time for the venerable institution of the LFS to take a stand and fight back. Re-imagine the business model. Run a store like a website...do something to shake up the concept. Don't be afraid. Of course it's weird, and there area hundred reasons why it can fail...and an equal number of reasons why it will succeed spectacularly. This won't work for every LFS in every market...But it can help a few hard-working people who are willing to be bold and think differently.

images.jpeg

Would he be afraid to chart a new course? Should you be?

Wow, I've really stuck my foot into it this time, huh? Shaking up the industry a bit? I know for a fact a lot of people will just hate me more for this. I could care less. The LFS is what built the hobby, and a newer, leaner, more creative LFS will keep it going into the future. Actually, it can benefit everyone! The online guys win, brick-and-mortar wins. They hobby wins. A new model for supply and distribution can emerge that can help everyone.

Okay, I'll shut up for now. However, if anyone cares to keep this one going, I'm open for it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the LFS is not on the decline...it's in a Renaissance, and is ripe for re-imgaining.

Long live the LFS!!!

Stay focused, stay creative...stay positive...

And Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of this stuff the wholesalers could really help out lfs guys with. Let's say make apps that show what's available without pricing. Ie. You go into said lfs. Cruise around if your like me your looking for a specific thing. Umm Yada Yada wrasse. So I notice they don't have one. I grab a tablet they have placed out for customers I look up Yada Yada wrasse it says available in 2 weeks I place my name and email on it and the order is placed. It comes in on the next fish order and I'm gtg. There's alot that can be done here with a simple labtop and a app. Even if there not connected to a massive system with wholesalers involved.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of this stuff the wholesalers could really help out lfs guys with. Let's say make apps that show what's available without pricing. Ie. You go into said lfs. Cruise around if your like me your looking for a specific thing. Umm Yada Yada wrasse. So I notice they don't have one. I grab a tablet they have placed out for customers I look up Yada Yada wrasse it says available in 2 weeks I place my name and email on it and the order is placed. It comes in on the next fish order and I'm gtg. There's alot that can be done here with a simple labtop and a app. Even if there not connected to a massive system with wholesalers involved.

Exactly...the success of such a v2.0 LFS is limited only by the willingness of business people to think beyond the current constraints, and to partner with those unafraid to go on the journey! Thanks for the input!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be done with corals bud.... lfs with a big display tank. Has a bunch of unique corals frags / colonies that are available one of each of there favorites . Said lfs has a standing shipment every 2 weeks. Customer checks out what's in the tank than places a order 2 weeks later a nice shipment comes in with 100 other orders and boom. Shipping cost lowered. Everyone makes some money and the customer can order a 25 dollar frag without paying shipping.

Get 2 work!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that! Exactly my point...No one complains about waiting a few days to receive stuff on line...Here, you have people actually seeing the stuff in person that they are getting..for all of the perceived "disadvantages", there are numerous advantages..

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. Go ahead and finance my shop! Lol I'm in.

Trust me, if I had the resources, I'd totally entertain the idea of being an "aquatic incubator" for startups in this field, much like in Silicon Valley...Can you imagine the talk? "My store just secured Series A financing from staywet of $5,000 at a valuation of..." LOL

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see this working honestly expecially in bigger cities.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could, but the "Incubator" would need to be very selective about the projects it takes on..A lot of great fish people are deplorable business people, so it would be fraught with risk! But in this alternative world, it would be almost as much for the fun aspect as the money...Imagine seeing some kid come on with some killer idea or product, who just needs a boost and he/she could change the fish world...Would be gratifying to be involved...Oh well, until that time, we can at least support dreamers however we can!

-Scott

ReefCave

Bradd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a retailer of 19 years of The Aquarium in Sandy UT this thought box has been jumped out of, taken apart, thrown away, rebuilt, and even tried as a triangle vs a box. (Hence ReefCave.com) My conclusion unless many of the industry merchant suppliers change their policy of who they sale to stay away from investing in a LFS... Trust me just stick to the garage. Its working great ........ for now.

If manufacturers don't start protecting their product from being devalued by merchants.Very, Very, Very few manufacturers in the industry. Enforce MAP pricing. Which is a great concept and works!
images-jpeg.240313

One of many success stories for this concept is Apple. The iphone for example is the same price everywhere you go. And no this s not price fixing. It is MAP (minimum advertised price) pricing. MAP is nothing new in retail. Trust me Walmart knows all about it and has since the 90's maybe even the 80's. It was actually passed as legal business practice by the supreme court after being argued as price fixing. http://www.executiveblueprints.com/tips/070701supremecourtrulingonmap.htm, you can learn all about whay MAP is here. prior to making assumptions about what it actually is. https://www.sba.gov/blogs/how-minim...our-retail-or-online-stores-marketing-efforts

MAP is great and works great if the manufacturer stays in control of the supply chain. However as soon as distribution is put in place all control is easily lost as the manufacturer cannot source the trail of how the violator is accessing the product. (unless it is a online serial tracking system...ex. Neptune Systems/Ecotech that is if its really enforced...sometimes I wonder)

My advice to the LFS coming from the LFS.

Support manufacturers that dont make you look like a crook as soon as the client pulls amazon up on their phone (while talking with them). Finding the product at or below the price you paid.
Do not support double dippers. Selling to your client as well as your store.Often times undercutting you.

The consumer is absolutely not to blame. As a consumer when in Best buy etc Im just as guilty I want to feel as if im getting a fair market value price.. However due to these MAP policy set forth by ex. Apple I purchased my phone from Best Buy and Im sure they did not loose money even after the associate spent an hour with me.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This model of displays in the store where u can go in and see products than instantly purchase in the store and said product is shipped to your home works in retail. It's a new concept but can work. The lfs could take on some of this and development more of display tanks and holding tanks. Is my thought. Keep dry goods on hand also.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a retailer of 19 years of The Aquarium in Sandy UT this thought box has been jumped out of, taken apart, thrown away, rebuilt, and even tried as a triangle vs a box. (Hence ReefCave.com) My conclusion unless many of the industry merchant suppliers change their policy of who they sale to stay away from investing in a LFS... Trust me just stick to the garage. Its working great ........ for now.

If manufacturers don't start protecting their product from being devalued by merchants.Very, Very, Very few manufacturers in the industry. Enforce MAP pricing. Which is a great concept and works!
images-jpeg.240313

One of many success stories for this concept is Apple. The iphone for example is the same price everywhere you go. And no this s not price fixing. It is MAP (minimum advertised price) pricing. MAP is nothing new in retail. Trust me Walmart knows all about it and has since the 90's maybe even the 80's. It was actually passed as legal business practice by the supreme court after being argued as price fixing. http://www.executiveblueprints.com/tips/070701supremecourtrulingonmap.htm, you can learn all about whay MAP is here. prior to making assumptions about what it actually is. https://www.sba.gov/blogs/how-minim...our-retail-or-online-stores-marketing-efforts

MAP is great and works great if the manufacturer stays in control of the supply chain. However as soon as distribution is put in place all control is easily lost as the manufacturer cannot source the trail of how the violator is accessing the product. (unless it is a online serial tracking system...ex. Neptune Systems/Ecotech that is if its really enforced...sometimes I wonder)

My advice to the LFS coming from the LFS.

Support manufacturers that dont make you look like a crook as soon as the client pulls amazon up on their phone (while talking with them). Finding the product at or below the price you paid.
Do not support double dippers. Selling to your client as well as your store.Often times undercutting you.

The consumer is absolutely not to blame. As a consumer when in Best buy etc Im just as guilty I want to feel as if im getting a fair market value price.. However due to these MAP policy set forth by ex. Apple I purchased my phone from Best Buy and Im sure they did not loose money even after the associate spent an hour with me.

Great input!

I could not agree more with you on the subject of MAP pricing...In fact, I was just talking to a friend who owns an online dry goods business and was absolutely lamenting the fact that manufacturers don't seem to support their own MAP. Crazy. It makes everyone suffer. Kinda makes one wonder why they bother if they don't enforce it. And wholesalers selling direct is a pretty good way to make everyone hate you and lose a good percentage of your business really fast!

And of course, the consumer is NOT to blame...The LFS and the industry are...Failure to thrive and adapt are killers in business and innovation...And like I said, elements of this concept have been discussed/tried before, but not to the ultimate degree...and not to a more nuanced level. I think that there is still plenty of room for innovation at the LFS level...Sure, people have always tried to disrupt the model, but I think we have tools available now that we never di before...It's a very good time to be innovative!
-Scott

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If amazon ever sells fish and corals it will be game over....I doubt that will ever happen though. .I think majority of consumers sit at home or at work and buy things and have it come to them.Only in emergency situations I go to the lfs .One idea I have is I think it would be cool for lfs to have workshops. For example :Lets say" How to start a sps tank " learn a step by step guide and a weekly followup through your 6 week class with half hour meeting once a week.You draw people to your shop and who knows they would probably buy more of your inventory because they feel a connection to you.Maybe this exists but I have not seen in at any of my lfs .

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your thoughts on this..Although I don't think Amazon and fish is game over...I really don't.

Innovations like we are ruminating about here are only limited by imagination and resources ( not to mention, economic realities). You bring up an important thought- the personal connections..These are important regardless of your business model. Online, Brick and Mortar, whatever...You need to establish relationships. I think a lot of retailers get this. The challenge is getting consumers to buy into your ideas, support your goals. To draw people off the couch and pull their faces out of their smartphones and into your store is the eternal challenge facing the 21st century retailer. Good old fashioned people skills will go a long way, along with a healthy dose of radical and outside the box innovation. The future belongs to those who go after it.

ReefCave

Bradd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many many things LFS can do to improve their business. However, if the Net profit margin is not there in the product, the resources are not there to pay for those improvements or for associate on the clock. Sure people say they will pay a bit more for service myself included and many do. But to sell a product, send the consumer on their way. They look the product up on line.. maybe a instrucion manual and find the product at the LFS cost. This looses trust in the LFS.

Livestock is even a harder animal all together to tackle.
Why.
There is no manufacturer. Free for all if located in a Fish Wildlife approved airport.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Challenges I find is the lfs generally doesn't have the corals I want. I won't order online or from a vendor until I have atleast a 500.00 order because the shipping cost kills it. So if there's a way for my lfs to group orders and get me my 2 frags with 10 other people's 2 frags at a reasonable cost. It would be a good deal For everyone.

I wanna spend 100 bucks here and there and I love seeing what I'm purchasing.

Sps is not something many stores keep on hand because it hard for the lfs to keep it alive. Sucks!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many many things LFS can do to improve their business. However, if the Net profit margin is not there in the product, the resources are not there to pay for those improvements or for associate on the clock. Sure people say they will pay a bit more for service myself included and many do. But to sell a product, send the consumer on their way. They look the product up on line.. maybe a instrucion manual and find the product at the LFS cost. This looses trust in the LFS.

Livestock is even a harder animal all together to tackle.
Why.
There is no manufacturer. Free for all if located in a Fish Wildlife approved airport.

Good point about livestock...However, I think the difference there is that livestock has many variables- quality, survivability, etc. Sure, anyone with the right permits and resources can land a box of corals from any number of dozens of outfits down in Indo...They key part is how the material is handled, the condition of the animals on arrival, etc. The problem is, unlike dry goods- livestock can be lost for any number of reasons along the line, and the way things are handled across the board have a very strong impact on availability, price, and sustainability of the business. Sure, someone can sell stuff at a loss to "blow it out", but customer satisfaction will take them down if the quality and survivability aren't there..We've seen this many times in the livestock side...Cheap is one thing- stuff that lives is quite another. Consumers demand quality, service, and survivability, and the "bad apples" weed themselves out of the livestock game pretty quickly if they don't hit on all three sides of the equation. Dryads is a different animal, as you indicated.

All in all, we're in a very interesting business, and the challenges- and rewards for those who rise to method- are numerous. Thanks again for your valued input!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Challenges I find is the lfs generally doesn't have the corals I want. I won't order online or from a vendor until I have atleast a 500.00 order because the shipping cost kills it. So if there's a way for my lfs to group orders and get me my 2 frags with 10 other people's 2 frags at a reasonable cost. It would be a good deal For everyone.

I wanna spend 100 bucks here and there and I love seeing what I'm purchasing.

Sps is not something many stores keep on hand because it hard for the lfs to keep it alive. Sucks!

All valid points and quite interesting...and a good business mind will pick your concerns apart and figure out ways to meet them...I've heard them many times before. And there are opportunities there if someone is willing to be a bit innovative and look at things a bit differently and take on the challenges. I can think of a few right now...!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This trend in aquaculturing is growing and I think it's great. That being said it certainly opens new doors for the lfs.

I'm hoping gone are the days where the lfs get a colony in and it never manages to survive in anyone's tank let alone there's.

I'm looking forward to the stores that can order frags just like fish. Tank raised and hearty.

Man if I could only win the lottery I could be enjoying what I do in life and not be jealous of the Scott's and Adams of this world getting to be in the aquarium trade and enjoying it!

I know I can get there myself and someday I will!

Back