Tips on lighting

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to reefing and I’m struggling with exactly how to set up my lights. Some say 8 hours some say 10 but would it hurt to have it on for 12? And if so what kind of damage would it do? Also I have white, blue, and RGB mode what is recommended to have on at what times? Is there a light I can get to have it on at night so my family may enjoy the tank at all hours? Sorry for all the questions at once

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
daffy-duck.gif

Welcome to the Reef!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to reefing and I’m struggling with exactly how to set up my lights. Some say 8 hours some say 10 but would it hurt to have it on for 12? And if so what kind of damage would it do? Also I have white, blue, and RGB mode what is recommended to have on at what times? Is there a light I can get to have it on at night so my family may enjoy the tank at all hours? Sorry for all the questions at once
It would help with more info. What lights are you running, do you have coral. How old and size of the tank. Did you start with dry rock. Upload a picture.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome to the R2R ForumWhat type of lights are you running ?

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help with more info. What lights are you running, do you have coral. How old and size of the tank. Did you start with dry rock. Upload a picture.
The lights are a

Aqueon® FXT Optibright Max LED Light​

And I do have corals, I started with live rock I’ll post a photo in the morning. Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights are a

And I do have corals, I started with live rock I’ll post a photo in the morning. Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I run my lights 12 hour with no I'll effect. 75 gallon mid 200 par growing acro. I have a ton of cleanup crew. Biggest issue imo is algae, whiter the light the worse.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The lights are a

Unfortunately, like the current light strips, these lights are basic and offer low PAR levels
Condiders for full control of spectrum, Ai prime or hydra series, even noopsyche lighting

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

As said, lots of people have ramp up, ramp down, so 12 hours including the ramps.

If corals are happy now, no need to change. If you want to explore more time, try 1/2 hour increments every couple weeks and pay attention to the coral responses. They will tell you.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! Need more info for sure, but from what I know, the longer the lights stay on, the more algae problems you can have. The idea is to try and recreate the whole dawn to dusk appearance.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 41.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.1%
Back