Updates for the ReefBreeders Photon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nah don’t be fooled. these are incredibly impressive. I’m already blown away by the power of them and and I’m just getting started. literally double the intensity of the v 2s at max power at the same height.

For me and my purposes, this is an incredibly impressive upgrade. While I do realize most hobbyists can’t keep raising the light up, the idea that I could literally run half the amount of fixtures, higher up of course, 30-40 inches even and provide essentially the same amount of light intensity and coverage to me is mind blowing.

I think when we have things that we like and cherish even, and new versions come out that are different than what we used to, our intuition is to resist the change. I felt the exact same way the second I saw the puck style configuration, but didn’t take me long to realize they’ve got something pretty amazing here.

If anyone’s looking for moderately to well used v 2s , I have a feeling I will be replacing all 30+ fixtures I’m running here with the V3’s eventually.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah don’t be fooled. these are incredibly impressive. I’m already blown away by the power of them and and I’m just getting started. literally double the intensity of the v 2s at max power at the same height.

For me and my purposes, this is an incredibly impressive upgrade. While I do realize most hobbyists can’t keep raising the light up, the idea that I could literally run half the amount of fixtures, higher up of course, 30-40 inches even and provide essentially the same amount of light intensity and coverage to me is mind blowing.

I think when we have things that we like and cherish even, and new versions come out that are different than what we used to, our intuition is to resist the change. I felt the exact same way the second I saw the puck style configuration, but didn’t take me long to realize they’ve got something pretty amazing here.

If anyone’s looking for moderately to well used v 2s , I have a feeling I will be replacing all 30+ fixtures I’m running here with the V3’s eventually.

This is what concerns me, and you mentioned it in your comment.

1686583696652.png

That fixture already looks to be mounted pretty high for a normal "livingroom" type display tank, but those hotspots are pretty evident on the screen top. Running them 30"+ over the tanks is sweet in a big growout farm or even a dedicated fish room, but most people aren't setup like that.

Like I said, an improved spectrum is a good thing. More power is a good thing. But the jury will remain out for me until I see more actual reviews.

Jdlreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably, they will come with different lenses that could solve the problem of the hotspots.

On the other side, I just hope they will be sold in Europe. I have a V2, and since a year ago, it is impossible to get a ReefBreeders here. All shops I know stopped selling them.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let us know how those new lenses do! ;)

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Adam's new post about slightly wider optics for the meridian. The default optics look too narrow to me.

Facebook reels are not appearing right over here. It is the latest post from him on FB.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam's new post about slightly wider optics for the meridian. The default optics look too narrow to me.

Facebook reels are not appearing right over here. It is the latest post from him on FB.

Our initial samples had narrow optics on them. Release model will have significantly wider optics, with narrow optics available separately.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our initial samples had narrow optics on them. Release model will have significantly wider optics, with narrow optics available separately.

When are we going to be seeing some more info and/or reviews? I'm very curious to see some real data on them. And the new Lumen Bars too!

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty big claim and an astronomical price. It seems like mounting height and light spill will be the issues to look for here. Apex integration would be nice.

Last edited:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've got a little update I've been running kind of prototype V 1 over a little 24 x 24 rimless in my office and the optics were a little sharp. Logan sent me a couple new wicker lenses and over all I honestly just love this light.

The spread is remarkably even and coming from a guy who used to uses the old handheld remote to run all my v2's which is pretty rough, programming is breeze with the app.

I've been assured even that the model I have, has actually been improved upon threefold since they sent it to me , so I can only imagine what else is in store for the final release version.

But I'm very much looking forward to it. So far this light it has exceeded my expectations.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty big claim and an astronomical price. It seems like mounting height and light spill will be the issues to look for here. Apex integration would be nice.

And we haven't seen any sort of Spectral data yet. All that power is pointless if you have a bunch of LEDs that you won't use, or will run at a tiny fraction of their capacity.

We've learned a LOT about spectrum in the 7 years since the Photon V2 was released. I'm curious to see how that is implemented in the new light. Being ReefBreeders, I'm cautiously optimistic, but we'll see.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement I think.
No more affordable light from Reefbreeders is very disappointing if this is the case. I thought they were just basically incrementally upgrading the Photon V2, not producing a brand new top end light with high end pricing. The bang for the buck is what drew me to the Photons.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pricing doesn't scare me away. Although it is a substantial increase from the current offering, it is completely in line with products from AI and Ecotech. I have four Hydra 32HD's over my four foot tank (4 x $430 = $1720). The Merian 45 is $1600, so it is cheaper than my AI configuration and even more so for the XR 15 Ecotech which would be $2k for the same configuration. Now, they have to be just as good or better than competitors offerings.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pricing doesn't scare me away. Although it is a substantial increase from the current offering, it is completely in line with products from AI and Ecotech. I have four Hydra 32HD's over my four foot tank (4 x $430 = $1720). The Meridian 45 is $1600, so it is cheaper than my AI configuration and even more so for the XR 15 Ecotech which would be $2k for the same configuration. Now, they have to be just as good or better than competitors offerings.
And we haven't seen any sort of Spectral data yet. All that power is pointless if you have a bunch of LEDs that you won't use, or will run at a tiny fraction of their capacity.

We've learned a LOT about spectrum in the 7 years since the Photon V2 was released. I'm curious to see how that is implemented in the new light. Being ReefBreeders, I'm cautiously optimistic, but we'll see

The Meridian 11 is $400/ea. 2 of those can cover a 4 foot reef with ease, for less than the cost of a 48-V2 Pro. The Meridian 45 is a 320watt light- a substantial increase over the current 48-V2 Pro (240watts).

The Meridian Edge LED bars have 2-channel app control available as well and can be used on their own to power your tank.

There are multiple options and configurations at different price points depending on how much power you need.

The layout has been updated as well. The majority of reefers run their white LEDs at 1/3 or less than the blues, so we reduced the number of white LEDs, and upped the Royal Blue and violets. We added 440nm Violet chips plus 400nm UV and replaced the red/greens. So you can now run your lights even on all channels and have a nice 16K blue look, which maximizes the light output.

If you want to change your LEDs out- we will be offering customized LED boards as well.

Spectral scans of the finalized layout are due to be released this week.

This isn't an incremental update- the Meridian is a total overhaul with many new hardware features on top of power/spectrum changes. It was certainly no easy task to create a light better than the Photons. We're very excited to release these in coming months. Stay tuned for more details.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look like a nice upgrade over the v2 pros for sure, but for the people like myself who like a single fixture setup with this specific style light, I'm afraid reefbreeders has officially priced me out of their lights if this is the correct pricing model. Disappointed, but I'm probably the minority anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back