Updates for the ReefBreeders Photon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ReefBreeders Photon has a pretty stellar history of growing coral, especially SPS for a lot of years now. They power some of the nicest SPS growouts in the business (@therman and #battlecorals to name a couple). That being said, is there anything in the works for a new and improved Photon on the horizon?

With the recent push towards a wider blue band, and what is being discovered with regards to coral colors and spectrum, are there any plans for a a "refreshed" flagship light from ReefBreeders? I know things can be customized with LumenBars, but that's obviously an add-on. Not that I'm saying the Photon needs a refresh, it's hard to argue with success.

I'm just curious mostly. :D

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the light is great, granted I've only owned mine a couple weeks. I think where they could use the most improvement is the app and possibly selling some sort of diffuser to lessen the 'disco ball' effect.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we are working on a new version of the Photon.

We will be adding a pre-order section to the website where you can sign up for notifications once more details are available.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about the new Photon or the potential for a flood of nice used ones for cheap as people upgrade. :D

Looking forward to the info and to see what's being changed and/or updated!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we are working on a new version of the Photon.

We will be adding a pre-order section to the website where you can sign up for notifications once more details are available.
Any estimated timeframe on this? I’ve been eyeing LED lights and am getting ready to pull the trigger but…

Also, Please give the option for 0-10V/Apex control!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a happy user of the Photon v2 32” I’m excited to hear more new about a new version

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Hooz they announced on Instagram, the new led will be the Photon Meridian.

Can't wait to hear the specs of the new Meridian. You can see a Pic on Instagram, buts it's just if the top.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hooz they announced on Instagram, the new led will be the Photon Meridian.

Can't wait to hear the specs of the new Meridian. You can see a Pic on Instagram, buts it's just if the top.

Yeah. They posted on Facebook also. I'm curious to see how the light itself has changed. LED color choices, layout, lenses, etc.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Had an amazing convo with Logan and it should be coming out by end of year!! Let's get these babies out ahead of schedule Logan!!!

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the new light is the one on the right in the picture they posted. Looks like they're making a move towards puck style clusters, which is a bit disappointing since all the big names are moving away from pucks. I'll reserve judgement until I see more details, though.

Curious to see the LED color choices, etc in the new light.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm assuming the new light is the one on the right in the picture they posted. Looks like they're making a move towards puck style clusters, which is a bit disappointing since all the big names are moving away from pucks. I'll reserve judgement until I see more details, though.

Curious to see the LED color choices, etc in the new light.

My concern is that they look identical to the Reef Factory Reef Flare Pro.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
From what I was told they will be a 5 feet fixure. Design I'm not sure about but I know it will still be a panel style as the current one. Different led layout and more of them for better coverage.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what I was told they will be a 5 feet fixure. Design I'm not sure about but I know it will still be a panel style as the current one. Different led layout and more of them for better coverage.
They have a picture on Facebook and Instagram. It definitely isn't panel style. Personally, I like pucks as they seem to work better in my experience.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What I meant is it's still a big fixture with pucks. LOGAN said it trumps the current v2 fixture in par and spectrum.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battle Corals posted a video of the light on IG yesterday. I'll wait for the actual tests, but I'm kind of "meh" about it for now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back