OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper isn't phasing him a bit. Eats everything, tried a couple pellets just to see and he gulped them down no problem.
Plan to add the General Cure this weekend when I'll be home all day to monitor him.
Quick video:

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985
This fish has been doing well, out and eating. Finished second round of General Cure Thursday.
I noticed his tail fin seemed a bit tattered a few days ago. It does not appear to be improving, maybe slightly worse so I have decided to treat.
I am doing a water change today, and was going to start Kanaplex today as I have that on hand.
He is in 2.0ppm of Coppersafe, 30 days will be on Friday March 24th.

So from what I have read, it is fine to add antibiotics with copper, Provided plenty of air exchange?
I should treat with the labeled dose and frequency, but for 10 day course?

Would it be appropriate to just use the Kanaplex first then add in other antibiotics (the trifecta you recommend) if no improvement?

Thanks for any input, it is appreciated as always!

Edit to add- my plan is to run Cuprisorb starting next Saturday 3/25, then add in carbon after Kanaplex treatment is complete

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have the right of it ... antibiotics can certainly reduce O2, so extra water movement / air input will be appreciated!

~Bruce

+1 You can safely combine antibiotics with copper so long as you compensate for the additional O2 depletion.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 You can safely combine antibiotics with copper so long as you compensate for the additional O2 depletion.
Thanks, and my intention to treat with Kanaplex only for now?
It does not appear severe and the fish is still eating and acting fine.

Also would it be better to leave the copper and just register the fish to the DT at the end of the kanaplex treatment? (assuming the fins are healing)

Or how long should the fish be observed in qt after the copper is removed? (assuming no complications with the fins healing)

Seems I have seen both ways mentioned, just not sure which will be best to go...

For complete history, fish will have received 30 days at 2.0ppm copper. Round of general cure, again 2 days later, forgot to dose in 7 days so it received another dose at 10 days, followed by a final dose 7 days later.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fins look totally healed up, then I would just move the fish into the DT after 10 days of Kanaplex.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fins look totally healed up, then I would just move the fish into the DT after 10 days of Kanaplex.
The wrasse's tail fin is not looking any better, maybe slightly worse. Tonight will be the third kanaplex dose and 5g water change. I have been following seachem directions for dosing, 1 scoop per 5 g q. 48 hours, 25% water change before each dose.

Thinking I may need to make it a cocktail of meds, maybe?
What would you suggest?

He has also finishes 30 days of copper tomorrow evening. Would moving him to the display possibly help, by getting him out of Copper and giving his immune system a chance to deal with it better?
He'll be going into an acclimation box when he is moved over... Just gotta find where I put it after we moved....

Here's a video from today,

Thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I may need to make it a cocktail of meds, maybe?
What would you suggest?

I would add Furan-2 & Metroplex to the mix. To widen the spectrum of treatment.

I wouldn't add him to the DT with this going on. But I would do larger than usual WCs (before dosing more antibiotics) to remove as much of the remaining copper as possible.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 do y'all have both of those in the store? I usually go to DNA since it's 10 minutes from work... But if they don't have them at lunch tomorrow and y'all do I may swing by..
@Humblefish since I'll be reducing copper in the QT should I extend an observation period beyond the fins healing? My wife would kill me if I tried to do a transfer to a sterile quarantine (since I don't have another tank)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 do y'all have both of those in the store? I usually go to DNA since it's 10 minutes from work... But if they don't have them at lunch tomorrow and y'all do I may swing by..

We should..... I didn't see any empty spots when I was behind the register today.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish since I'll be reducing copper in the QT should I extend an observation period beyond the fins healing? My wife would kill me if I tried to do a transfer to a sterile quarantine (since I don't have another tank)

I always advise observing for 2 weeks after all treatments are complete.

If he still acts/looks 100% two weeks later, then you are good to go. :)

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always advise observing for 2 weeks after all treatments are complete.

If he still acts/looks 100% two weeks later, then you are good to go. :)
Thanks, what dosing would you recommend on the metroplex for this wrasse? I know there's currently some question about general cure, and the metroplex lists a dose of 1 to 2 scoops per 10g. Im inclined to start lower and only increase if no improvement and no negative reaction from the wrasse.

Thanks again for all you do!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, what dosing would you recommend on the metroplex for this wrasse? I know there's currently some question about general cure, and the metroplex lists a dose of 1 to 2 scoops per 10g. Im inclined to start lower and only increase if no improvement and no negative reaction from the wrasse.

Thanks again for all you do!

I would use the lower dosage (1 measure per 10 gals) until we get this sorted out.

And thank you! :)

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Sooo my wrasse is now showing white stringy poop[emoji30]. I am currently treating the QT with Kanaplex Metroplex and furan2 for fin rot (second dose today of metroplex)

Can I food soak metroplex while treating the water? What's the best course of action here?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back