What Experiment or Research you wish somebody did?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cure for ich would, IMO, move this hobby forward in so many ways. Less newbies throwing in the towel, less death of livestock in homes and LSF, and possibly increased husbandry of various species. Oh, and a cure for impatience in the hobby would also be great!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whether Prime detoxifies ammonia (just kidding). It would be whether a quarantine approach, vs a non-quarantine approach leads to a difference in fish mortality

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A proper evaluation of the need (or lack thereof) and/or impact for a host of ions on many organisms. Strontium, barium, iodine, etc. It's a rather complicated experiment, with numerous endpoints to consider.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
medium to long term observations of side by side carbon dosing for different carbon sources on an equal-carbon basis: acetate, ethanol, methanol, solid bio-polymers (biopellets), liquid biopolymers (present in a FM product or two).

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What cause mushrooms to “bounce”
I remember the late great Jake Adam’s speculating in one of his videos that they were cancerous growths. However not long after he made that statement he passed away.
I loved Jake Adam’s, he was a brilliant reefer. Jake forgot more information than a lot of reefers will ever know. I’ve heard some other hobbyists agree with the statement. Yet I would disagree and would love to see some research further into the subject.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How different methods of filtration effect total bacteria count and diversity within the water column

Just curious what one would do with that knowledge?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A grouping common name coral types that tend to thrive with super high waste products and also those that will die/suffer at relatively low levels. There will be a whole bunch in the middle. I have no inclination to do this, but I could suggest a handful of Z&P that would melt and die once no3 reaches 10 or 20 but also many others that seemingly double in size quite often as no3 gets to 100. Acropora are the same way. I don' really keep LPS, so no idea. Purpose: I think that a lot of arguments could be avoided if people stopped just assuming that all "coral" act like the ones that survived in their tanks.

Another good one is how much no3 and po4 that a clam can filter from the water... like a 5-6" deresa. Purpose: because I have always wondered.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cure for rtn/stn
A cure for ick in REEF tank
Led lights that can do true same results as metal halide lights.

Edit: A cure for ick I personality don't care much any more, but it sure would help a lot of new reefers.

Lol the MH comment was funny to me because you want experimental evidence for an LED to do the same as MH and there is already experimental evidence pointing towards that while there is no experimental evidence pointing to the opposite.

Last edited:

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what one would do with that knowledge?
I'm curious as to what effect bacteria has on filter feeders and copepods.

I remember from bio that bacteria make up much more biomass than any animals do, especially within the ocean.

I believe this could have applications for aquaculture mainly. I'm not an expert in it but seeing the state of the aquarium hobby I'd assume most aquaculture research errs on the end of sterility when it comes to filtration to "minimize external variables" (have you ever seen the Atlanta aquarium filtration rooms? Actually insane stuff)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to what effect bacteria has on filter feeders and copepods.

I remember from bio that bacteria make up much more biomass than any animals do, especially within the ocean.

I believe this could have applications for aquaculture mainly. I'm not an expert in it but seeing the state of the aquarium hobby I'd assume most aquaculture research errs on the end of sterility when it comes to filtration to "minimize external variables" (have you ever seen the Atlanta aquarium filtration rooms? Actually insane stuff)

I agree that knowing the bacteria concentrations would be interesting and potentially useful. It’s more the diversity part I was questioning since that is much harder to quantify or correlate with anything we actually care about. :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding ich, there might not be any in-tank cure, but one could do an experiment on fish with ich in a mature ecosystem with sand and rock full of life vs a bare bottom tank or newer tank where an ecosystem is not yet developed. The microfauna in a mature ecosystem eating ich tomonts has been a blessing to hobbyists for a long time only to be lost to some with the so many moving to starting sterile systems (petri dishes for diseases) to avoid "pests."

This could be really hard since you don't want to infect fish just to experiment with them.

The old advice to wait a year until you got a fish prone to diseases was good advice and usually came about the time that a tank had a good base of microfauna (live rock times). These fish did do better under these conditions. Perhaps some metrics or maybe some information could help persuade people to wait if they don't do a full QT. People are usually quite astonished when I tell them that this can help.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back