What Experiment or Research you wish somebody did?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora stn/rtn. Lots of assumptions in the community, no proof.
even being able to just identify what it actually is, rather than just calling anything where tissue gets lost "stn or rtn". I feel like those are basically just a set of symptoms that could be caused by any numerous amount of things. is it caused by bacteria, a virus, a buildup of toxins inside the coral, nobody really has any clue at this point from what i can tell.
Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised to learn later on that more than one thing can cause what we describe as "STN" or "RTN".... i HIGHLY doubt its a single vector that causes all the different damages we see under numerous conditions.
A grouping common name coral types that tend to thrive with super high waste products and also those that will die/suffer at relatively low levels. There will be a whole bunch in the middle. I have no inclination to do this, but I could suggest a handful of Z&P that would melt and die once no3 reaches 10 or 20 but also many others that seemingly double in size quite often as no3 gets to 100. Acropora are the same way. I don' really keep LPS, so no idea. Purpose: I think that a lot of arguments could be avoided if people stopped just assuming that all "coral" act like the ones that survived in their tanks.

Another good one is how much no3 and po4 that a clam can filter from the water... like a 5-6" deresa. Purpose: because I have always wondered.
I used to have a giant derasa (like 12"+) and frequently wondered this as well.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that knowing the bacteria concentrations would be interesting and potentially useful. It’s more the diversity part I was questioning since that is much harder to quantify or correlate with anything we actually care about. :)
I think the answer would also be dependant on whether certain types of bacteria are exclusive free floaters vs surface growers. Not a microbiologist so I got no clue tbh.

As for the diversity aspect I guess the only real benefit you would get is it being less likely to crash from one species gaining majority and then dying. 2 samples in a petri dish vs 20 samples vs 200 and etc.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do rip cleans or skip cycles work /s

I’d like to see how the claims on some of the Brightwell products actually hold up. Does microbacter 7 really reduce phosphates (I don’t think so)

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even being able to just identify what it actually is, rather than just calling anything where tissue gets lost "stn or rtn". I feel like those are basically just a set of symptoms that could be caused by any numerous amount of things. is it caused by bacteria, a virus, a buildup of toxins inside the coral, nobody really has any clue at this point from what i can tell.
Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised to learn later on that more than one thing can cause what we describe as "STN" or "RTN".... i HIGHLY doubt its a single vector that causes all the different damages we see under numerous conditions.

OK so you wondered about consumption from the clam you had... so when it left the system, what changes did you notice?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so you wondered about consumption from the clam you had... so when it left the system, what changes did you notice?
I never checked any of the levels on that system at all. never checked calcium or alk or any nutrients.... so i have no idea.
I did weekly water changes and it lived happily for over a decade before it broke its hinge and quickly parished.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never checked any of the levels on that system at all. never checked calcium or alk or any nutrients.... so i have no idea.
I did weekly water changes and it lived happily for over a decade before it broke its hinge and quickly parished.
Recall noticing anything visually?

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would you prefer we say, coral just die! I mean it's what's it happening basically, slow death or fast death!

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
far more captive breeding in the hobbyist side as well as commercially. Something other than the usual clowns, enough with "designer" corals and fish too. Need better captive breeding volume to get prices down and more folks into the hobby.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you prefer we say, coral just die! I mean it's what's it happening basically, slow death or fast death!
i mean as of now, this is probably the best we can do since we don't know what it is. but id compare it to like going to a vet for your dog and them telling you "yup he's sick" and then not specifying weather its from a broken leg, a respiratory infection or cancer. just that they are "sick". Its kind of a useless moniker.

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean as of now, this is probably the best we can do since we don't know what it is. but id compare it to like going to a vet for your dog and them telling you "yup he's sick" and then not specifying weather its from a broken leg, a respiratory infection or cancer. just that they are "sick". Its kind of a useless moniker.
Lol, totally agree,
But at same time, we only able to see coral dieing by tissue loss aka rtn or stn.
If comparing this to human health science, we can safely use term cardiac arrest is for final stage of human life. (Or any life) but the reasons for cardiac arrest are hundreds.... except the difference is for human health we know every reason for death.
For corals they just have scientific general name (rtn,stn) but no cure or why!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, totally agree,
But at same time, we only able to see coral dieing by tissue loss aka rtn or stn.
If comparing this to human health science, we can safely use term cardiac arrest is for final stage of human life. (Or any life) but the reasons for cardiac arrest are hundreds.... except the difference is for human health we know every reason for death.
I think you are giving modern medicine a lot more credit than it deserves. We absolutely DO NOT know every reason for death…

We tend to think we know everything when in reality we know almost nothing.
Yes we can do a lot of things we couldn’t do 100 years ago or even 20 years ago but to think we know everything is insanely naive

Maybe it’s because I have multiple family members who all work in the medical field that I see and hear some horror stories but believe me we don’t know jack when it really comes down to it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, totally agree,
Think of how many scientific or medical discoveries were touted as FACT for decades only for us to learn in recent years we were completely wrong….
That happens ALL THE TIME.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish an Aquarium ICP Standard could be established so the various ICP testing options could be measured against it. My current understanding is that each of the labs can/do run their ICP's more as an art than a science. With that agreement, then perhaps some of the "trace" elements could begin to be validated as needed vs "we don't know".

Philip Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why bubble tip anemones has bubbles and sometimes they don't.
Also a simple additive to the tank to keep the water parameters perfect for sps, lps and softies!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of how many scientific or medical discoveries were touted as FACT for decades only for us to learn in recent years we were completely wrong….
That happens ALL THE TIME.

An actual scientist doesn't tout anything as an absolute. And things that are as close to facts as possible (an extremely well supported theory), are not very commonly found to be very wrong. Hypotheses are more commonly found to be incorrect.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see frags mounted the typical way, vs cutting them in half longwise and gluing the cut sides down. I'm curious about mortality and overall growth rates over the course of a year.

Last time I fragged my stylophora I glued a bunch of frags upright, and a bunch I cut into 3 discs and glued in a triangle on the plug. The ones cut into discs encrusted the plugs significantly faster than the standard method, and looked like they were on track to blow the standard method away in long term growth, but I didn't keep any of them long enough to find out.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An actual scientist doesn't tout anything as an absolute. And things that are as close to facts as possible (an extremely well supported theory), are not very commonly found to be very wrong. Hypotheses are more commonly found to be incorrect.
Maybe the scientists you know don’t do that but basically the entire western medicine model is exactly like that.
Think of how many pharmaceutical drugs were deemed safe after lots of human testing and then went to market and then years or decades later we learned about other problems after people died
Things like this absolutely do happen all the time. And that’s my point. Every dr you went to before getting prescribed that medication that caused problems said it was safe, that was “fact” based on lots of papers and studies.

Then new facts come out proving the old facts false….

You’re focusing on the wrong part of my post just to be argumentative and for what? Just to be right? To stand up for scientists? lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the scientists you know don’t do that but basically the entire western medicine model is exactly like that.
Think of how many pharmaceutical drugs were deemed safe after lots of human testing and then went to market and then years or decades later we learned about other problems after people died
Things like this absolutely do happen all the time. And that’s my point. Every dr you went to before getting prescribed that medication that caused problems said it was safe, that was “fact” based on lots of papers and studies.

Then new facts come out proving the old facts false….

You’re focusing on the wrong part of my post just to be argumentative and for what? Just to be right? To stand up for scientists? lol

That’s not how medical studies are discussed by knowledgeable folks. Test on 1,000 people and you will miss some one in a million effects that show up when a million people use it. Medical scientists know that.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not how medical studies are discussed by knowledgeable folks. Test on 1,000 people and you will miss some one in a million effects that show up when a million people use it. Medical scientists know that.
no offense but i feel like youre biased because yuore a scientist. MANY MANY MANY medical doctors absolutely talk like that to their normal everyday patients that dont have a phd or even a HS degree. because you don't see it doesnt mean it doesn't happen. because you dont deem them as knowledgeable folks doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back