What Experiment or Research you wish somebody did?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not how medical studies are discussed by knowledgeable folks. Test on 1,000 people and you will miss some one in a million effects that show up when a million people use it. Medical scientists know that.
and im not talking about studies being talked about to other scientists in a lab. im talking about how the average dr talks to their patients. a patient asks "is this safe" and they "yes all the facts say its safe". then we get new facts and ug-oh its no longer safe..... this absolutely happens in US medicine all the time over the last few decades..... to say otherwise is just crazy

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a theory that an aluminum sulfate regimen could kill vermetid snails, dose it while mucous nets are active. Would like to test if it would kill vermetids and any other harmful effects and how long they would last.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Molecular analysis-based delimitation/sorting out of Cynarina/Acanthophyllia and intermediate phenotypes ("Indophyllia")
  2. Molecular analysis-based species level delimitation of Acanthastrea (echinata, subechinata, hemprichii, brevis, rotundoflora)
  3. Molecular testing of Micromussa regularis and Acanthastrea minuta
  4. Molecular "sorting-out" of the Mycedium/Pectinia/Physophyllia clade
  5. Molecular testing of Goniastrea thecata (It's definitely not a Goniastrea; probably related to Favites vasta)
  6. Molecular study of the relationship between Dipsastraea vietnamensis and Astraeosmilia
  7. Molecular testing of the West-Australian population of cf Micromussa pacifica
  8. Factors that affect polyp extension/coenosarc inflation and how much they correlate to coral health
  9. Testing different propagation methods of solitary corals
  10. Factors in captivity that affect coral growth forms

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see what you guys have in mind.
Honestly I know research is already done. But I’m overwhelmed with dosing. When I do my research on how to do something I like to know how it works, why it works, ect and get a better understanding of it. For example we know we can get the flu from someone else spreading the virus to us. I’m the type that likes to know how does it spread from that person to me, how did it get to that person, where did the flu start, ect.

So what I’m saying is I wish I could grasp a better more solid understanding of how to know EXACTLY what and when to dose down to the minute. Sure there are auto dosers that read parameters and do the guesswork for you but it would just be nice to know myself. I’ve asked this question so many times, watched so many videos and honestly am finding out that everyone is pretty much just GUESSING and hoping they’re right/hoping their test kits are right on dosing and it’s working for them but the not knowing the EXACT science on the numbers overwhelms me haha! We spend way too much on corals for guesswork and math that may or may not be right

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding different fish/invert predators for various of the more uncommon pests (I'm looking at YOU sea spiders)

Also specifically if bethenic centhropores are harmful to any tank inhabitants and which ones.

Also may have been done but simply the morphology of a splitting/growing LPS/SPS polyp, does the skeleton get absorbed and reformed when something like a lobo splits down the center, what about when it elongates, ir already has a skeleton wall, so does that get broken down? How does something like a scoly grow underneath the flesh/tissue, also what is the process of an acro polyp at the tip drifting to the side of the branch as the Coral grows?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the scientists you know don’t do that but basically the entire western medicine model is exactly like that.
Think of how many pharmaceutical drugs were deemed safe after lots of human testing and then went to market and then years or decades later we learned about other problems after people died
Things like this absolutely do happen all the time. And that’s my point. Every dr you went to before getting prescribed that medication that caused problems said it was safe, that was “fact” based on lots of papers and studies.

Then new facts come out proving the old facts false….

You’re focusing on the wrong part of my post just to be argumentative and for what? Just to be right? To stand up for scientists? lol

Again, proper scientists don't claim things as facts. That is usually marketing or poor reporting. A pharmaceutical companies advertisements may say "fact" or "proven" but science is based around how much evidence you have for something not about 100% certainty. Evidence can change, which again is why no one says "facts" in science in its true meaning. Western medicine, when properly vetted, goes through many phases of trials before released to the public. However, regulatory mishandlings and failures of oversight could lead to a mistake on interpreting the data. Can you also provide examples instead of saying there is tons of examples? To be honest, it more or less sounds like you have no clue what the scientific method is or how it works and the rigor that data has to go through before it can be a widely accepted hypothesis. And yes I am defending scientists because if you ever bothered to know what it takes to become one and produce substantiated hypotheses, you would know your comment is ridiculous. I think you also are equating a lot of individuals' roles as the same in how western medicine is made, researched, tested by outsiders, marketing, and provided to prescribers. That is a very complicated set of processes that you seem to be lumping together with what I am defending which is how scrutinous the scientific method, when applied, is to testing a hypothesis.

Your response also doesn't really rebuke what I said about a hypotheses vs a theory in terms of acceptance. Very rarely is the closest thing to a fact in science (a theory) rejected.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no offense but i feel like youre biased because yuore a scientist. MANY MANY MANY medical doctors absolutely talk like that to their normal everyday patients that dont have a phd or even a HS degree. because you don't see it doesnt mean it doesn't happen. because you dont deem them as knowledgeable folks doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

I don't think you realize that scientists often spend their lives trying to rip each other's hypotheses apart. That is part of the scientific method. Also the last line was kind of out of nowhere and again seems to be coming from some dislike you have towards science.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Birth control for nems good/bad.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not agreeing with @GlassMunky or anything, but there is some truth to science not being totally perfect. Because scientists need to aquire funding for their research, they are incentivized to push out eye-catching research articles with little afterthought to whether their studies are reproducible or claims are actually true.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cure for ich would, IMO, move this hobby forward in so many ways. Less newbies throwing in the towel, less death of livestock in homes and LSF, and possibly increased husbandry of various species. Oh, and a cure for impatience in the hobby would also be great!
I have a way to prevent it, but nobody wants to do it

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 71 29.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back