What got you hooked?

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my brother- sigh.:winking-face: ive always had freshwater and he had the salt. he kept at me until i finally caved and jumped into it! it always looked way too complicated to me. he'd make a great salesman!!:squinting-face-with-tongue: i usually call him after a shipment of corals(or something else expensive) and whine about what hes gotten me in to.:grinning-squinting-face: but im loving it!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was supposed to get a fish tank for my kiddos to help soothe them and I figured fresh water would be the right way to go but then I saw a picture of a reef tank and said to myself “wouldn’t that be cool”… now I have 3 reef tanks and a fresh water tank. It’s addicting for sure. And I love love love it!

metro6775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had freshwater since I was a kid. I knew about saltwater but it was expensive and complicated with those weird wet/dry filters. Then one day I'm in the pet store and see a tank filled with rock, gsp, and a six line wrasse gliding around the tank. The way the GSP waved in the current and the wrasse effortlessly gliding around is what set me on this money pit of a journey. I guess it is cheaper than buying a boat.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What got you hooked on the reef hobby? Was it a trip to a public aquarium? Was it a friend or family member? Was it a documentary about natural reefs?

We all got hooked somehow. What was for you?
I got hooked on freshwater in the mid 60's when my parents bought me a 50 gallon, and then when saltwater finally came around it was almost natural for me to get that way again.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a kid there was a local "tropical fish store" that had fresh and salt water fish. The spectacular colors of the salt water fish were highly desired, but I just had a freshwater tank.

Years later, while in college, I ended up in a building looking for a classroom. I came across coral reef tank, fish and corals. It was fascinating! I stayed and looked and watched what was going on in there. I went back again and again. I was hooked.

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dad had several tanks when we were kids, I liked to watch the fish swim around; never liked any of the other bits back then. Now I realize just how much work it is. Still worth it though.

Except now my daughter is asking me why I killed all my fish :( “because daddy is goofy boots sometimes.”

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What got you hooked on the reef hobby? Was it a trip to a public aquarium? Was it a friend or family member? Was it a documentary about natural reefs?

We all got hooked somehow. What was for you?
My dwarf fuzzy lionfish and my eels :) always had fish tanks but those fish are what have me hooked on saltwater! Love interacting with them. Especially the eels! They recognize me and come out to see me :)

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been hooked since I was a young kid visiting the ocean. Even took my obsession to get a worthless undergrad degree in Marine Biology lol. Useless because I didn't want to go for an advanced degree.

Anyway, rather than play in the ocean (I live in Ohio), I brought the ocean to me.

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my family, it was Finding Nemo that got the ball rolling:face-with-tears-of-joy:. For me as an adult, the nostalgia is what keeps me hooked. There was always a tank in my home since I was about 4 years old. Having one now is like having a piece of my childhood in my living room. There's something comforting about it!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up around fresh water tanks that my mother always had. She had always wanted a salt tank, but costs and availability ( mid 1980's) made that very tough, so I guess I did it mostly in her honor. But I absolutely fell in love with the hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back