Zibba's Reefs

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch that purple primer, they make it in clear and looks so much cleaner when your done.

+1. PVC cleaner will do the job, and being clear it will not leave a purple stain wherever it runs.

That is a nice selection of PVC fittings. You are in for quite the project. Good luck and keep us updated with lots of pics.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the move today bud, can't wait to see it all finished!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the move today bud, can't wait to see it all finished!

Lol at "finished"!! Is anything ever finished in this hobby. :bowl:

We got it moved in yesterday without breaking the aquarium, so that's a plus.

My everything aches.

I hear you! My knees and feet are screaming after yesterday.

I owe a huge HUGE thank you to Hunter and Jason Frick (among many others) for helping me out yesterday. Not only did they lend a hand lifting this beast, they helped design the plumbing schematic and installed it and saved me a from a potential disaster. There was a slight gap in the front right-hand side of the aquarium between the plywood base that sits on top of the steel stand and the pvc bottom of the aquarium. They saw the gap before we filled the tank and we were able to get some shims in place to distribute the weight and alleviate some pressure, which could have caused a tank blow out.

I'm exhausted but there are a bunch of cell-phone pics around that I'll be sharing in the future.

Quick update though: All of the fish and corals made it back into the A.G.E. display from their day at the kiddie pool. The tank is plumbed and the water is finally circulating through both the AGE, ADA and sump. Planning to get the ATO in place tonight, some electronics wired up tomorrow and then starting to aquascape some rock this weekend.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owe a huge HUGE thank you to Hunter and Jason Frick (among many others) for helping me out yesterday. Not only did they lend a hand lifting this beast, they helped design the plumbing schematic and installed it and saved me a from a potential disaster. There was a slight gap in the front right-hand side of the aquarium between the plywood base that sits on top of the steel stand and the pvc bottom of the aquarium. They saw the gap before we filled the tank and we were able to get some shims in place to distribute the weight and alleviate some pressure, which could have caused a tank blow out.

I'm exhausted but there are a bunch of cell-phone pics around that I'll be sharing in the future.
And Paul was nice enough to drive around and find the right shims! Everything worked out really.

Some of those pictures are epic; finally saw them before crashing last night.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday morning was the big move. I was able to convince 9 guys to wake up early so we could start moving this thing at 7 am before it got too hot outside (remember, desert = 105+ degrees this time of year).

Using suction cup grips (not the best), dollies and brute force, we were able to muscle this thing into a 24' enclosed trailer and move it to my place. Finally got it in the backyard and this is us getting it prepped to go through the window and onto the stand with Elliott acting as our commander in chief.
14708086464_bf638e0f49_c.jpg

14523822748_d6386c0949_c.jpg

14687483026_2db8cf1293_c.jpg

14710477935_5872abb3d1_c.jpg

Into it's final spot and we started to clean/get plumbing going. Pretty weird to climb into the tank to clean it!

14523816189_a1f5aa2a3a_c.jpg

14687482926_c3a25176f5_c.jpg

Here's a shot of Hunter (evolved) and I scoping out the overflow and getting things glued into place.
14524028837_e00da697a1_c.jpg

First few drops of water into the tank -- Frick is fearlessly hanging out under the tank working on the plumbing (it's dark but he's down there!). You can also see that we had to shim a corner of the stand where the plywood was separated from the tank.

14523816129_70a01c13aa_c.jpg

I'm not out of the woods yet -- still a lot of planning and work ahead. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Wow - looks like an awesome tank! :) I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did (until I got transferred). I will be watching the build with a bit of jealousy; however I am thrilled to see it found a loving home.

Remember - with a tank this size you have to divide every number by 3 when to talk to your S/O about it...

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Wow - looks like an awesome tank! :) I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did (until I got transferred). I will be watching the build with a bit of jealousy; however I am thrilled to see it found a loving home.

Remember - with a tank this size you have to divide every number by 3 when to talk to your S/O about it...

Thanks for jumping in Chris! The fish were already enjoying the extra room last night. Can't wait for things to clear up and settle in.

And, thanks for the tip! :)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man, wish I could've been there.

7:00, it's already hot by then, I would've had them up at 5, haha .

rocknut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, Eric, you really have a knack for finding some amazing lightly used tanks, don't you? :) Can't even imagine being able to get inside a tank to clean it, that is too cool. Honestly can't wait to see what you do with this one after watching your last two tanks fill in and mature. Oh the possibilities... :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back