My Heteractis Magnifica (Ritteri Anemone) Journey

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DAY 1

Well I just acclimated my first and second Heteractis Magnifica (Ritteri Anemone) to the tank. I temp acclimated them, drip acclimated them, and then temp acclimated them again. I received one that has neon green tips and is about 10-12" in size! It was sticky and is now all expanded in the tank and the clown went straight to it. They are swimming all around in it and it is a beautiful site to behold. I have to say, I am in love!

(I'll fire up the live cam in a bit for you all to check out)

Now for the second one. I wasn't supposed to receive another but it was added to my order as a special gift. :D It is only about 3" or so but it is NEON green and has the most deep purple base! It is a dream looking one for me. It has expanded but is now on the move!

I will get some pics, and please wish me luck!

I am like a kid on Christmas morning!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my LED's on very dim. What do you suggest is a good rate of light acclimation for these guys?

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always kept them under t5 or halide but in general, I just put some eggcrate over the area that the ritteri was and kept my normal photoperiod. You could probably do something similar with LEDs by cutting to half of normal? Big thing is that if it's expelling zooanthellae or looks really stressed, you should probably cut back a little.

Where did you get the anemones? If you wouldn't mind, please PM me. Been looking for the 2nd anemone for a while.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got them from AquaSD and thanks for the info.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to this Rev. Congrats on the 2. Loving mine as well. As for a photo period, mine hasn't moved from where I originally placed it. Its directly under 1 of 3 250 14k's mh, around 12 inches (height of lights and depth to surface).

Country boy using tapatalk on a HTC Evo

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritteris are gorgeous nems. What kind of clowns do you have with it? It seems like they went for the larger of the two, which is good. Some clowns can be kinda rough on anemones while building up their slime coat and can beat up small ones. A 10-12" nem is a beast though.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see pictures. I was thinking of adding one to my anemone tank. I will be following this thread to see how yours do.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The clowns have always hosted a frogspawn. I added some new BTA's several weeks ago and they instantly started hosting in the BTA's and at night they stay in the frogspawn. Well today they almost instantly went to the Ritteri and have not left it. Do you blame them it looks so comfy! LOL!

Oh they are Picasso clowns. :D

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev

What you need to watch out for is inflating and deflated of any kind.

Usually Magnificas show up and look good for the first day or two. Then they begin to expand and contract trying to rid themselves of any infected tissues or bacteria.

Most anemones like fish are sick when they first come in, not sick as in noticeablely sick. Like all fish have ich inside them but it takes a trigger, in our systems its the same all it take is one trigger of stress and they will begin to contract and expand to expel anything bad inside.

They also prefer flat surfaces. If you want i can send you something a vendor on here helped me to create especially for when i treat magnificas.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What you need to watch out for is inflating and deflated of any kind.

Usually Magnificas show up and look good for the first day or two. Then they begin to expand and contract trying to rid themselves of any infected tissues or bacteria.

Most anemones like fish are sick when they first come in, not sick as in noticeablely sick. Like all fish have ich inside them but it takes a trigger, in our systems its the same all it take is one trigger of stress and they will begin to contract and expand to expel anything bad inside.

They also prefer flat surfaces. If you want i can send you something a vendor on here helped me to create especially for when i treat magnificas.

Yes please PM me!

Also what should I look for as far as the mouth goes?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also does anyone know what is good flow or bad flow? I am afraid I have to much.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth should never be open or gaping after is acclimates to your system. Usually they will do one explusion of water and refill themselves if they are healthy if not it may go on and on. Its torture. Sometimes i have to treat with anti biotics to clean them out.

Good flow is strong but not direct. I prefer waveboxes for all of my anemones displays. The rocking motion is much better.

Also if they ball up at night they are healthy.
a869f032.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok right now the the large anemone is rocking like he is in a boat with my vortechs on alternate flow patterns. Also the mouth maybe cracked open a hair. Hard to tell.

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and also... if ones moving around.. be careful.. they love powerheads..

like mine.. it has since fully recovered from this and is now in its own tank doing wonderfully. lesson learned, the hard way.

photo-81.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back