Back To The 50

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm back to the 50g...thankfully, all the fish made the move fine :)
Snapshot_20140815.JPG

Not sure they're actually in the picture, though, lol. Taking it with a webcam is tough!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am vinegar-dosing this tank, but at a low level. I started with 1.5ml and just bumped it up to 3ml, but that's where I'll probably stay (for now, at least) because I am seeing a noticeable reduction in nitrate and phosphate at this level. :) Maybe I can finally have some corals soon...

It's a bit yellow in the light spectrum right now, but that's because I bought the bulbs expecting to use them on my planted 125. Since that tank broke in the move, I'm using the 2-bulb fixture for the reef, but need to replace the warmer white with an actinic.

Dad bought a used saltwater tank, so I got some live rock <3 it has some coralline algae and sponges on it. It also had a couple of bristleworms but I accidentally killed them T-T.

I have some things to pay off first, but I'm looking to load this tank up with pods for Echo (the scooter dragonet) and then save up for a 125g. I want brand new this time. Kinda burnt out on used.

Yes, I am running a canister on this tank now. My Dad gifted me a Fluval FX6 for my birthday and I've never seen my water look so good. I know a canister isn't optimal, but I will be cleaning it a minimum of weekly so it should be OK. Given the fact that I need to avoid water accidents as much as possible (being in a rented apartment), the closed nature of the canister may be best anyway. Another plus is there's no chance of my best friend's baby falling into it....

I'm beginning to see what people meant about the LED I had being low-light. Even a 2-bulb T5 is brighter than the LEDs were (and now I can see them side-by-side, as the Sea Star LED fixture is currently being used on my FW 29g).

I also need to save up for a skimmer. My poor little used one, already held together by zip-ties, snapped a leg in the move....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did lose one FW fish (not surprised - Rummynose Tetras shock and die if you even scare them too badly) and have to give up a few more because the 125g guys are all crammed in my 29g, but I didn't lose any salties, and hopefully will be able to re-upgrade the FW soon. :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know algae and diatoms are normal in a newer tank, but is cyano? I probably do have some rock die-off from the stuff I just got, so that could be the reason, right...?

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It breaks my heart to announce that I am having to give up my aquariums. My husband left me and the place I have to move into for now is not allowing me to have them. I will have to save up and make a new start when I find a new place. TT-TT

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back