Web Camera

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from vacation and everything went well with my tank thanks to my Apex and automation but I'm thinking that a webcam on the tank and sump might be a good idea moving forward to help ease my mind while away. Can anyone make a recommendation on 2 or 3 cameras?

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Wow, the Wyze Cam Pan v3 looks pretty cool and at a reasonable price. Thanks for the tip!
Oh, wow! They are inexpensive and seemly good little cameras! I added my Nest Cam into Apex and love the integration, but I'll check these out for inexpensive options to add multiple cams. Thansk!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago one of the fittings on a return pump became loose and my sump was drained while everything in the tank was fine. My temp sensor and pH probes are both in the sump so I saw my temperature go up to 107 and my pH drop to 1.6. I thought that not only was something very wrong with the tank but that my house may have been on fire. Needless to say I am getting a camera so this doesn’t happen again. The tank is totally fine. There was some water that soaked into my floors but it is what it is. Everything is fine except I need a new temp sensor because mine is not insane despite calibrating. Thanks for starting the thread. Looking into Wyze!

reefbliss2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RING camera is always rolling, tied with a full room camera, APEX and leak detectors. I highly reccomend having it all work together for that "worst case scenario" moment when your out-of town. Also have a friend or family aware of the set up so you can advise if your away.

I had a return pump fail the first day I was out of state with my family. I contemplated driving home (hours) just for this. Had a local reef shop aware of my set up and took care of it while I was gone. Turned a terrible situation into a bad situation. Instead of terrible into worse. Happy Reefing!!

Screenshot_20240225_084819_Ring.jpg

Last edited:

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might worth noting wyze have had multiple, quite severe privacy issues with the way they manage access to the cameras.
Last one was just a few days ago, the one before ~5 months ago.

Personally I wouldn’t touch their products unless I plan to hack them and gain complete control over the hardware.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RING camera is always rolling, tied with a full room camera, APEX and leak detectors. I highly reccomend having it all work together for that "worst case scenario" moment when your out-of town. Also have a friend or family aware of the set up so you can advise if your away.

I had a retuen pump fail the first day I was out of state with my family. I contemplated driving home (hours) just for this. Had a local reef shop aware of my set up and took care of it whole I was gone. Turned a terrible situation into a bad situation. Instead of terrible I to worse. Happy Reefing!!
Your fish room view is what got me thinking about a camera. I have my DT and sump on Apex with leak detectors and backup programing but my fish at and coral qt are not on Apex. I Tunze ATO's on both qt's but every so often they get "hung up" and don't top off so I thought a camera would help me see the water level drop.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might worth noting wyze have had multiple, quite severe privacy issues with the way they manage access to the cameras.
Last one was just a few days ago, the one before ~5 months ago.

Personally I wouldn’t touch their products unless I plan to hack them and gain complete control over the hardware.
That is what has kept me from adding webcams in the past. I didn't know it happened to Wyze as well.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at work about 40 minutes away. My husband was 15 minutes away so he was able to make it home since I thought the house was burning down. I honestly had not thought of a leak sensor. But I am going to buy one now. 30+ gallons of water one time probably not a huge deal. 30 gallons repeatedly probably a huge deal.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you actually don't "have" to have the script but you get extra features if you do. I set mine to the smoke alarm detector so hopefully it alerts to heater malfunction tones etc...since I have these for the house, it makes it easier. the outdoor one runs off battery. I have mine set so if power goes out, my wifi runs on UPS so I can get a constant signal without power for about 3 hours.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what has kept me from adding webcams in the past. I didn't know it happened to Wyze as well.
Local cameras + VPN (actual VPN that allows you to connect remotely to your home network, not the snake oil companies sell as a service to bypass regional restrictions) is a much nicer, and secure solution than cloud based devices, especially when it comes to cameras/microphones inside your home.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local cameras + VPN (actual VPN that allows you to connect remotely to your home network, not the snake oil companies sell as a service to bypass regional restrictions) is a much nicer, and secure solution than cloud based devices, especially when it comes to cameras/microphones inside your home.
I might have to look into this. Might be over my head though.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back