French's 75g

French27

Excitedly New to the Hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it time to start my own build thread so here we are. I am in the research stage at this point. Below is a table i created to assess the size tank I should start up. I ultimately settled on a 75g FOWLER to start with adding in corals some months later after I have a better understanding of water chemistry from a hands on perspective. It really has been enjoyable starting to learn and plan for my first tank. My wife is also looking forward to it. We are very frugal, and it will take some time to gather the requisite equipment and materials, but that will only serve to build anticipation. Please comment!

Size Assessment.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I discussed a RODI water unit, and she was all for it since it would supply us with clean drinking water as well. I settled on a 4 stage BRS RO unit with drinking water set up. I also ordered a DI cannister to add onto the system for when I am ready to start mixing salt water. Overall the install was pretty easy.

IMG_20150304_204400_671.jpg
IMG_20150304_210105_315.jpg
IMG_20150308_155806_649.jpg

OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to run the RO water to the basement where the DI canister will be. We are planning to have the DT in our family room in the basement, with the SUMP and support equipment on the other side of the wall behind the DT. The support room is where our Washer, Dryer, Hot Water Heater, Furnace, Electrical Service Panel, and my work bench. The room is quite large, so I don't think it will cause a problem for the DT support equipment to be in the same room as all of these other appliances.

OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 40g breeder for a DIY sump and a 20g Long for a QT or even an eventual frag tank in April from the PETCO dollar/gallon sale.

Here is some of the other support equipment I have to date. Not much, just bits and pieces.

OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the spreadsheet i put together to evaluate skimmers. I have settled on a Reef Octopus 150INT. Not on the list, but should provide for a future upgrade if desired at a minimal increase to electrical consumption. It seems Reef Octopus come highly recommended.

Skimmer.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been visiting three LFS over the past 3 months to get an idea on their husbandry practices, quality of fish, quality of knowledge, and willingness to have honest discussions. Through the visits (At least 4 at each) I have a preliminary list of fish we are interested in. We certainly haven't set on a specific number or anything like that at this point. The only must have at this point is a pair of Ocellerus Clowns. Here are the rest:

Coral Beauty Angel
Potters Angel
Anthias after we have more experience in the hobby
Golden Midas Blenny
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish
Green Mandarin (Long after tank is established)
Neon Goby(s)
Goby / Pistol Shrimp Pair
Falco Hawkfish
Flame Hawkfish
Longnose Hawkfish
Yellow Candy Hogfish
Yellowhead Jawfish
Bluespot Jawfish (long down the line)
Melanerus Wrasse
Red Finned Fairy Wrasse
Leapord Wrasses
Royal Pencil Wrasse
Maybe 1 Tang

Inverts:
Cleaner Shrimp
Pistol Shrimp / Goby Pair
Maxima Clam
Hermits
Snails
Anemone later (@least 6mon.)

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is proabaly one of the nicest set up build threads, your tank is going to be awesome. Is it going to be fish only or have corals too?

OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Shep! The tank will be fish only for a couple months, and then we will start adding corals. Starting with some softies and LPS. Eventually I would like to take a shot at SPS, but probably after having a better handle on reef chemistry. We are interested in the following:

Softies:
Pipe Organ
Flower Tree

LPS:
Frogspawn
Elegance
Galaxea
Platygyra
Chalice

SPS:
Acro
Monti
Birdnest

OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is the preliminary drawing for the DIY sump I am planning. The drawing is 1/4th scale (1" = 4"). I may be going without a filter sock, haven't yet decided. The upper left section will house the protein skimmer. The middle section will have live rock and algae, and any critters warranting a sentence. The final section is the return section with a submersible pump. Let me know what you think.

OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat down to start researching lights and after a discussion with the LFS I trust the most, I decided to make a list of lighting options (below). I think the list is complete, but then again I am just starting to learn about lights more in depth. I am planning a FOWLER to start, then moving in some softies, LPS, and SPS as my experience grows. Just looking at the table below, two Kessils are the way to go. Does anyone have thoughts? I am sure glad I took the time to compile the info, as I was leaning the T5HO route. Alas, I have plenty of time to make a decision, so input is welcome!

Thank you all.

Lighting.PNG

Aquatic Life T5 HO
Fluval T5 HO Quad Lighting System
EcoTech Marine Radion XR15
Hydra 26 LED
EcoTech Marine Radion XR15 Pro
Kessil A160

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome and following along!

OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it certainly has been too long. After some months spent learning the art of Fly Fishing, and dealing with some items added to the family plate, I find myself coming back to this thread to review and continue the plan for a in home reef aquarium. The process of implementation will be slow as my wife and I are now expecting, but it is good to be back here again.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do it!

Fishphi784

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat down to start researching lights and after a discussion with the LFS I trust the most, I decided to make a list of lighting options (below). I think the list is complete, but then again I am just starting to learn about lights more in depth. I am planning a FOWLER to start, then moving in some softies, LPS, and SPS as my experience grows. Just looking at the table below, two Kessils are the way to go. Does anyone have thoughts? I am sure glad I took the time to compile the info, as I was leaning the T5HO route. Alas, I have plenty of time to make a decision, so input is welcome!

Thank you all.

Aquatic Life T5 HO
Fluval T5 HO Quad Lighting System
EcoTech Marine Radion XR15
Hydra 26 LED
EcoTech Marine Radion XR15 Pro
Kessil A160

I very much appreciate the forthought you are putting into what I am sure will be a great build! As for your question, I would consider the hydras or radions over the kessils. This recommendation is based on your future requirements for sps or high light demand lps . The kessils a160s will be underpowered for a 75 gallon reef in terms of both spread and intensity. If you we're talking 360s, it would be a different story. That said, the kessils are excellent lights, just a bit underrated for your application.

OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much appreciate the forthought you are putting into what I am sure will be a great build! As for your question, I would consider the hydras or radions over the kessils. This recommendation is based on your future requirements for sps or high light demand lps . The kessils a160s will be underpowered for a 75 gallon reef in terms of both spread and intensity. If you we're talking 360s, it would be a different story. That said, the kessils are excellent lights, just a bit underrated for your application.

Thank you for the input Fishphi! As I look back through my posts, I agree with you regarding the kessils a160s. With more research I am leaning toward a 4 or 6 light T5HO fixture, and maybe a kessil or two in the future to get the "shimmer" they put out. I am looking at the aquatic life and even an ATI fixture. What do you think, a 36" or 48" fixture?, Or would 2x kessil 360s truly cover the tank.

upload_2016-2-18_19-40-42.png

Last edited:

Fishphi784

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input Fishphi! As I look back through my posts, I agree with you regarding the kessils a160s. With more research I am leaning toward a 4 or 6 light T5HO fixture, and maybe a kessil or two in the future to get the "shimmer" they put out. I am looking at the aquatic life and even an ATI fixture. What do you think, a 36" or 48" fixture?, Or would 2x kessil 360s truly cover the tank.

upload_2016-2-18_19-40-42.png

I think you would be fine with any of the options you proposed (6 bulb t5, 2 360s, hybrid). That said, i think 2 a160s and 4 t5 retrofits Would be ideal. You would have enough intensity for sps, no shadowing and thus no sps tissue loss where shadows would normally occur, controlability, moderate cost, less annual bulb replacement cost than t5 alone, and excellent shimmer. This option would require a hood for ideal aesthetics and somewhat increased install and control complexity, but I think it would be more than worth the disadvantages. Another attribute of setup is you get the perceived front to back depth observed with LEDs and the brightness of t5.

OP
OP
French27

French27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be fine with any of the options you proposed (6 bulb t5, 2 360s, hybrid). That said, i think 2 a160s and 4 t5 retrofits Would be ideal. You would have enough intensity for sps, no shadowing and thus no sps tissue loss where shadows would normally occur, controlability, moderate cost, less annual bulb replacement cost than t5 alone, and excellent shimmer. This option would require a hood for ideal aesthetics and somewhat increased install and control complexity, but I think it would be more than worth the disadvantages. Another attribute of setup is you get the perceived front to back depth observed with LEDs and the brightness of t5.

I like the idea of the retrofits. We were planning to make a canopy as it is, so this may be the way to go. I can always start with the T5s and add the kessils as we go.

Thanks!

Fishphi784

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back