Offical Eco-Bak Thread

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought with all the use of Bio-Pellets and a lot of info out there both true and false it would be a good place to keep track of everyones results!

I personally have been using it for about a year with great results (Warner Marine Brand)
I think the most common misconception is the amount needed and the time it takes to become viable as a nurtient exporter. IMO this greatly depends on several factors
1.Amount of pellets
2.Stocking level (Fish/Coral)
3.Quality of Skimmer
4.Amount of feedings, Quantity/Times Daily
5.Starting with very low Po4 in the first place and proper seeding of Eco-Bak
6. Quality reactor w/Correct amount of flow
7.Directing reactor output to skimmer intake

These are just a short list of what i have learned through trial and error, You are encouraged to comment with your experiance with Eco-Bak.
Bill

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent idea Bill!

I read this thread in March of this year, and felt like this was the best place to get any answers from the man him self. Jon is a great guy, and will answer any questions you have. I know that a few of us have participated in this thread and thought it was worth linking it.

the official ECOBAK thread... - 3reef Forums

OP
OP
poolkeeper1

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent idea Bill!

I read this thread in March of this year, and felt like this was the best place to get any answers from the man him self. Jon is a great guy, and will answer any questions you have. I know that a few of us have participated in this thread and thought it was worth linking it.

the official ECOBAK thread... - 3reef Forums

Thanks, And there is another thread that I myself posted quite a bit in but will leave that in the junk pile it belongs!
Bill

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 thing is a good skimmer. This why I took mine offline. I was run 600ml in 216g of water with itech 200 skimmer. 1st I was running 1000ml of EB. Jon told try half. I was still gettin burnt tips on my acros. With my alk was 7.8-8.1kh. We turn down the flow still no help. So now I'm waiting on jon's new skimmer.

OP
OP
poolkeeper1

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share a comment that Jon Warner made to me about the proper use of his product, He said that the secret is to feed the crap out of your tank so that your fish and coral are not starving and let the EB remove the excess nutrients Via a very effecient skimmer.
This goes way back to the beginning when it just came out and no one was sure how this all worked, But the more i fed the better my SPS started to look and once the EB was colonised my Po4 was very low in the 4-10 PPB range with no other form of Po4 reduction used in the system.
It did take a few months to fully realize it's potential but i have never looked back nor spent another penny on GFO!
Bill

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;_lMaAQwyV-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lMaAQwyV-M&feature=player_embedded[/video]

OP
OP
poolkeeper1

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Vidio, Clearly explains the process and the do's and dont's but there are some differences from one brand to another, And that comes from a year of seeing which ones work and those that do not.
All Pellets are not created equal IMO and some just plain do not deliver results, So rersearch and choose wisely.
Thanks for the Vidio Chris.
Bill

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"they're not going to cure your bad habits" very well put..

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zef.. Interesting.. I may be in teh same boat as you are having too much pellets. the Reactor is also very key.

OP
OP
poolkeeper1

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zef.. Interesting.. I may be in teh same boat as you are having too much pellets. the Reactor is also very key.

I also just removed some of my EB due to it clumping, I was running almost 2X the amount but my Bioload is much lower now that I cleaned house to finally rid the Flatworm Issue from my tank.
It took cutting all my colonies from the Rocks they were on and replacing the rock after cutting the corals off and tossing all the encrusting bases and only keeping Clean Dipped and Inspected coral that were bug free. It was a lot of work and i tossed anything even close to unhealthy and thing are starting to look like they used to again!
But back to the EB it is now at 1,000ml which is about right for my water volume and tumbling freely again, Plus my Po4 tested at 4PPB and I see no Algae on my glass at all.
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u basing the EB volume off water volume, coral population or fish population? I am going to scale mine back to about 600ml due to lower fish volume. I'm getting burnt tips at 7.7 Dkh.

Sent from my Androit tablet using Tapatalk

OP
OP
poolkeeper1

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u basing the EB volume off water volume, coral population or fish population? I am going to scale mine back to about 600ml due to lower fish volume. I'm getting burnt tips at 7.7 Dkh.

Sent from my Androit tablet using Tapatalk

All of the above, I'm a little over the water volume amount but I feed a lot and have quite a few fish plus plenty of coral. Right now I'm running enough for 200 gal water volume, If that helps you decide.
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Yea that sorta helps. I have way less coral load and only 50 more gallons. I only have 7 fish.

Pecked out on my Android tablet with Tapatalk

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have any Microbe Lift special blend I can buy from them? Animal City was supposed to order some for me but they said their distributor was out of stock so who knows when I will get some. AC doesn't have any neither does PetSmart so I'm left ordering online. I really wanted to start it this weekend since I've had the EB running for about 1.5 weeks now.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to have it to seed the EB. And Sean from Ebay can order it for you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back