Offical Eco-Bak Thread

Chaz D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So essentially, if you are having issues with your phosphates being high and nitrates being non existant, and you are running bio pellets is to add more livestock/bioload and feed more.

No...You want to increase nitrate without increasing phosphate. You can't do this by additional feeding or livestock additions. A pure source of nitrate is the only way, sodium/calcium nitrate or you can buy some Brightwell NeoNitro.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No...You want to increase nitrate without increasing phosphate. You can't do this by additional feeding or livestock additions. A pure source of nitrate is the only way, sodium/calcium nitrate or you can buy some Brightwell NeoNitro.

Thats another option, but I'm not going to say it's the only way.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would my Yellow Star Polyp be sucking the nitrates out of the tank? They are my best growing softy coral. Maybe I need to pull some out ... because I have a clam that needs nitrates too and there seems to be alot of things in my tank that consume or need nitrates.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question guys, could I run non BRS pellets in BRS dual reactor?

You could but, the real question is how effective would that be in a dual reactor. My guess is probably not very. They really need their own reactor to better control the flow through and tumble plus, the RO canisters are not effective.

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experiencing some of the same issues currently. Nitrates at 0 for the last month or more and phosphates remaining high at 0.8 or so. I'm using Salifert nitrate test and Hanna checker for phosphates. I'm using Dr Tims Bio-Pellets and just added my final third this past weekend so they have been running on the system for abit over 6 weeks. I was just about to add a few more fish to the tank. I guess if the phosphates don't drop in the next couple weeks, I can reduce skimming efficiency as well as add the microbacter7 or something similar. Any other suggestions?

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most bio pellet users keep some GFO around for phosphate reduction once they run out of nitrates.

Brandon

RobbReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm expirencing some stn after run Eco bak three years. If I turn the flow up the faster it stn it seems. The slower flow stns slower is there something I can do or recommend ? I was running alk at 9.2 when this all started also but dropped down to 8.2. All perms are in check.
Alk 8.2 Hanna
Cal420 salifert
No3 0 salifert
Po4 o salifert
Sal 1.025

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experiencing some of the same issues currently. Nitrates at 0 for the last month or more and phosphates remaining high at 0.8 or so. I'm using Salifert nitrate test and Hanna checker for phosphates. I'm using Dr Tims Bio-Pellets and just added my final third this past weekend so they have been running on the system for abit over 6 weeks. I was just about to add a few more fish to the tank. I guess if the phosphates don't drop in the next couple weeks, I can reduce skimming efficiency as well as add the microbacter7 or something similar. Any other suggestions?

I think the best thing to do would be to add to your bioload via more fish or more feedings. One of the most important things to remember with the use of pellets is to FEED! And also remember the pellets take six to eight weeks to colonize so for you they are just now starting to become fully active. Are the phosphates reading at .08 or. 8?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm expirencing some stn after run Eco bak three years. If I turn the flow up the faster it stn it seems. The slower flow stns slower is there something I can do or recommend ? I was running alk at 9.2 when this all started also but dropped down to 8.2. All perms are in check.
Alk 8.2 Hanna
Cal420 salifert
No3 0 salifert
Po4 o salifert
Sal 1.025

How large is your bioload? How often do you feed? Having your alkalinity at 9.2 was pushing your limits. If your phosphates and nitrates are truly at 0and you're not feeding your tank enough you are staving your Corals

RobbReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heavy bio load. I have about 17 fish now. I've been feeding once a day bi weekly water changes.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude... these things are like a dream come true.

"Nutrient issues? Get more fish and feed multiple times a day."

Sweet! Never thought we'd hear that in this hobby. :D

Brandon

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adding more fish today and feedings will increase. Thinking about getting some of the Elos fish food that doesn't contain any phosphates as well. Dropping some phoslock in today too.

I think the best thing to do would be to add to your bioload via more fish or more feedings. One of the most important things to remember with the use of pellets is to FEED! And also remember the pellets take six to eight weeks to colonize so for you they are just now starting to become fully active. Are the phosphates reading at .08 or. 8?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adding more fish today and feedings will increase. Thinking about getting some of the Elos fish food that doesn't contain any phosphates as well. Dropping some phoslock in today too.

Can you possibly post a video of your reactor and show me your rate of tumble of the pellets?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back