Offical Eco-Bak Thread

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dowtish - 0.00 wow that is fantastic!!

Curious how often do you have to use an algae magnet on your glass? thinking the super low p04 should help keep that glass clear.

Actually Shelly, I would prefer my phosphates be 0.03-0.05. And even when I'm getting a 0.00 reading I know it cant be true, simply because of the amount I feed. When I get a 0.00 reading I even up my feedings more.

As far as algae on the glass, I almost have to clean it everyday. Maybe I really dont need to, but I do it anyway. There are days that there is really nothing on the glass and others it is covered. I assume it just depends on the amount that I am feeding that week.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually Shelly, I would prefer my phosphates be 0.03-0.05. And even when I'm getting a 0.00 reading I know it cant be true, simply because of the amount I feed. When I get a 0.00 reading I even up my feedings more.

As far as algae on the glass, I almost have to clean it everyday. Maybe I really dont need to, but I do it anyway. There are days that there is really nothing on the glass and others it is covered. I assume it just depends on the amount that I am feeding that week.

Yeah I know .03 is the sweet spot - but I was just thinking that ecobak is really working good to get p04 to .00 (after all the livestock gets their share).

And I was hoping when I finally get to .03 I could clean my glass less too.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago my p04 got up to .09 so I changed out the HC GFO and the next day p04 was .04. I just now checked it (it's been a week since my last water change) and it's holding steady still at .04 with the hanna checker.

I do see that my 'tumble' in the ecobak reactor has slowed down alot due to some bacteria slim (that's a good thing) ... so I was thinking about rinsing it with tank water to loosen it up (after doing my 10% water change today). Is that the right thing to do? or should I leave it alone?

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts?

I read these comments on another forum. What are your thoughts?

"the down side to running BPs, is they thieve a lot of your rocks bio activity."

"In time (months) the LR will lose a good chunk of its bio activity
with the use of BPs"

:playball:

Last edited:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read these comments on another forum. What are your thoughts?

"the down side to running BPs, is they thieve a lot of your rocks bio activity."

"In time (months) the LR will lose a good chunk of its bio activity
with the use of BPs"

:playball:

I think this is totally wrong. That is my first thought.

Bio-pellets are not only a food source but a SUBSTRATE for bacteria to live and grow on. You are just adding more bacteria, not taking any away.

Here is a question for you? So when people add more LR to their sump, does that mean all the bacteria suddenly leaves the LR in the display???

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points Chris. I didn't agree with the statements when I read them as well but was curious...

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one know the bacteria 'strain' name of the type that Ecobak attracts? I'd love to dig deeper into the chemistry of it all ... especially the part about how much nitrates you need to phosphates, and why.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one know the bacteria 'strain' name of the type that Ecobak attracts? I'd love to dig deeper into the chemistry of it all ... especially the part about how much nitrates you need to phosphates, and why.

Found this ratio on another site ...

Bacteria that consumes phosphates and nitrates need carbon to do so in a ratio of C:N:p = 106:16:1
Phosphate high, 0 nitrate, what should I do? - Page 2 - Water Chemistry - Nano-Reef.com Forums
Redfield ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So essentially, if you are having issues with your phosphates being high and nitrates being non existant, and you are running bio pellets is to add more livestock/bioload and feed more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back