My Biocube29

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Biocube29 established in April 2012. After having multiple freshwater aquariums for years I decided to try a small reef. Here is the progress so far! I am planning on removing the tang once it gets a little larger. The cromis has disappeared along with a previous clownfish and striped blenny. Any ideas of where these guys could have went? Everything else seems to be doing great besides for a flower pot, which I hear can be hard to care for. Thanks!

IMAG0719.jpg
IMAG0684.jpg
IMAG0494.jpg
IMAG0830.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0854.jpg
    IMAG0854.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 410

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks great! What kind of star is that on the sandbed? I hope you have good luck with the apple. I have heard of them crashing tanks much larger than yours so if you notice issues, take action immediately... They are so cool though.

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that it is a red throny star. My lfs said it is reef safe, and it has not bothered anything. I've had it for about four-five months and haven't fed it anything. I've also heard that apples crash alot of tanks, but mine seems to be doing fine. I dose the tank with zooplex and brine shrimp. I also just picked up some Aquavitro fuel, but not sure if that would help it or not. Heres a video of the sea apple eating..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm2uDbLXJ6Q

CrazyKonen05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower pot corals (goniopora) do not do well in most tanks over an extended period of time. They will likely require some special care. Some quick searches on Google will help you out. The tank looks great. I have a BC29 as well, and am thinking of going to LEDs. Is yours lit by T5?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has the stock compact fluorescent lighting with lunar blue moon glow LEDs. I am planning on upgrading the lighting very soon but am not sure what I want. What LEDs were you looking at?

Hans24hrs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only advice I have for a biocube is keep an eye on the cooling fans and lights. I had one (yes HAD one) until it caught my house on fire, and my family and I had to stay in a hotel for a month and then a rental houes for another 4 months. Apparently they are notorious for their fans burning out and then lights getting to hot and melting cover. note I didn't have one with the LED's. Other than that I liked it lol. good luck with it, but PLEASE keep and eye on it, I wouldnt want that happening to someone else.

CrazyKonen05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only advice I have for a biocube is keep an eye on the cooling fans and lights. I had one (yes HAD one) until it caught my house on fire, and my family and I had to stay in a hotel for a month and then a rental houes for another 4 months. Apparently they are notorious for their fans burning out and then lights getting to hot and melting cover. note I didn't have one with the LED's. Other than that I liked it lol. good luck with it, but PLEASE keep and eye on it, I wouldnt want that happening to someone else.

Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that. Guess I'm glad I don't have the stock hood!

As far as LEDs, I want one of the controllable fixtures from Reef Breeders, but I just missed the group buy on them!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet nano!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks great! What kind of star is that on the sandbed? I hope you have good luck with the apple. I have heard of them crashing tanks much larger than yours so if you notice issues, take action immediately... They are so cool though.

Yes do be careful with that sea apple as it can crash the whole tank in no time ... also Seastars are IME not that easy to keep alive for a long time ... and sometimes turn on your and feed on what you do not want them to feed on
FWIW

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower pot corals (goniopora) do not do well in most tanks over an extended period of time. They will likely require some special care. Some quick searches on Google will help you out. The tank looks great. I have a BC29 as well, and am thinking of going to LEDs. Is yours lit by T5?

Goniopora are not that easy to keep ... IME but here is a link to a good article on them :

Feature Article: The Successful Aquarium Culture of Goniopora Species — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that it is a red throny star. My lfs said it is reef safe, and it has not bothered anything. I've had it for about four-five months and haven't fed it anything. I've also heard that apples crash alot of tanks, but mine seems to be doing fine. I dose the tank with zooplex and brine shrimp. I also just picked up some Aquavitro fuel, but not sure if that would help it or not. Heres a video of the sea apple eating..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm2uDbLXJ6Q

How's the tank coming along if I may ask ?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going great. I plan on upgrading the lighting fairly soon. Thinking about a 150w kessil.

What corals do you think you will have in the tank at that time as that will make a difference in what light to use as some need a lot and some do not really need all that much. So is there a hood over that 29 right now and will you be taking that off as I guess it is a Biocube with the built in hood right ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going great. I plan on upgrading the lighting fairly soon. Thinking about a 150w kessil.

Given that I stated that Sea Apples can cause a tank crash if they die or release toxins as a defense mechanism, below is a link to an article that describes them in detail plus the dangers they can pose :

WaterWorldWeb

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look in the rear chambers for the fish that went missing?

Yup, checked all 3 chambers and they weren't back there... I'm guessing that the small green cromis starved because it wouldn't eat pellets and a hermit had a snack. I usually feed brine shrimp about 3 times a week, but sometimes I get really busy with school and work and just forget. Maybe thats what happened to the stripped blenny as well. No idea where the clownfish went though.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back