T.W.'s 20 gallon Nano

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok enough with the noob thread, time to start posting in a build thread I think. I'm still putting the finishing touches on the plumbing lines but here is the Stand and tank in its final resting place....
SANY0058.jpg

SANY0060.jpg

SANY0062.JPG

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have finally gotten all my plumbing working correctly. Tomorrow I will get the salt in there and borrow some of my Son's flake food:wink: to start the cycle! Fun Fun and probably a bunch more "DoubleCheck" questions to go with it all!!!

On a side note I need to give some public thanks to LukeG who let me PM him constantly for the past 3 days when I was having troubles getting everything up and running. Luke always responded with constructive advice, thoughts, or ideas on how to resolve my issues and questions.
Thanks a bunch Luke, your help was and is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you solved the issue. I totally understand because I just finished a build. The rewards aren't far off and you'll feel a real sense of accomplishment.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost ready to start the cycle

Thanks Luke. I finished adjusting my flow at around midnight and knew I wouldn't be able to sleep without mixing my salt. So at 1 a.m. I finished. I let it circulate until 6am then tested it with a hydrometer. Initial read is 1.020 so I added 1 more cup of salt.

Question 1. Is 1.025 a good number to shoot for? I will have Corals down the road.
Question 2. What do you recommend for a temp? I am shooting for 78-79f right now.
Question 3. In regards to cycling: How much & how often do I add flake food?

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp and salinity numbers look good. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule on how much food to add. I'd base it on how much ammonia you build up.

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now that everything is up and running good, I want to shift a little of my attention and research to picking out a CUC. I used dry rock and sand so there won't be anything quick about this cycle. But that gives me time to relax and get some input from others.
1. I am going to have some corals and 2 Clowns eventually. What is a good all around crew to get?
2. I image a small variety of snails but what kinds and how many?
3. I want to get 1 Emerald Crab for sure but other than that I am open to suggestions.
4. Where do you get yours from? LFS? or Online.

I know what Albert Thiel uses in his from reading an interview with him so I will shoot him a question or two but others thoughts are also greatly appreciated.

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be a great looking tank! I like the aquascape a lot
I would certainly wait a bit before adding the CUC. Don't want to kill them with the cycle :smile: Also waiting will allow food to grow in there for them.
In my 16 gal nano I started with 5 turbo snails, a couple sand sifting nassarius, 3 blue leg hermits a red hermit, a fighting conch, and my beloved emerald.
I lost a few of the snails (I assume they starved since there isn't much algae) I replaced the lost snails with a lettuce nudibranch, and a tuxedo urchin (who will no doubt be moved to my FOWLR tank in due course) I am now feeding algae sheets directly to the urchin and nudi.

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mark. I know that I am a ways off from adding anything to the tank just yet. It will probably cycle quicker though, if I stop staring at it but I can't. LOL

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mark. I know that I am a ways off from adding anything to the tank just yet. It will probably cycle quicker though, if I stop staring at it but I can't. LOL
LOL A watched pot as it were LOL

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is running smooth so far, ***Knock on Wood***. I sure am glad I decided to go with a sump. Not sure you would have been able to see much it I didn't! I keep a flashlight next to my tank so when I get up during the middle of the night I can check the tank without turning on the house lights. I am 99.99% positive my overflow will not flood, but it is still new and if it helps me sleep I will get up and check. LOL

R2R_SANY0071.jpg

Anyway two days ago I just couldn't stand it any longer, I know I know patience right? So I went and picked up a shrimp for the tank and put him in......

R2R_SANY0070.jpg

....well part of him anyway!!!!:bigsmile:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Luke. I finished adjusting my flow at around midnight and knew I wouldn't be able to sleep without mixing my salt. So at 1 a.m. I finished. I let it circulate until 6am then tested it with a hydrometer. Initial read is 1.020 so I added 1 more cup of salt.

Question 1. Is 1.025 a good number to shoot for? I will have Corals down the road.
Question 2. What do you recommend for a temp? I am shooting for 78-79f right now.
Question 3. In regards to cycling: How much & how often do I add flake food?

1 and 2 are fine IME but do not add salt directly to the tank if you have any life forms in as if it lands on one of them it can literally burn them so-to-speak, especially once you have corals in the tank and when preparing SW to add it is best to let it age for about 24 hours before using it so it stabilizes.

And on adding flake or other food for the cycle, once your ammonia starts to go up you really do not need to add any more. Nitrite will show up and peak at some point and then fall to zero, sometimes overnight and then your tank is cycled and ready for fish and/or corals ...

I gather that the rock you are using is not live rock or cured rock and so some organic matter is needed to get the cycle going ... a small piece of cooked shrimp or even of frozen shrimp is usually plenty to get the cycle going after a few days once that starts to decompose but flake will work too, and some use plain ammonia to get it going and that works too.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is running smooth so far, ***Knock on Wood***. I sure am glad I decided to go with a sump. Not sure you would have been able to see much it I didn't! I keep a flashlight next to my tank so when I get up during the middle of the night I can check the tank without turning on the house lights. I am 99.99% positive my overflow will not flood, but it is still new and if it helps me sleep I will get up and check. LOL
Anyway two days ago I just couldn't stand it any longer, I know I know patience right? So I went and picked up a shrimp for the tank and put him in..........well part of him anyway!!!!:bigsmile:

So what shrimp did you pick as from the picture I cannot see which one it is and I have to assume that your tank did cycle ...

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:bigsmile: Albert, that's a piece of the tasty little cooked shrimp I picked up from the butcher an threw in 2 days ago!!! Sorry my sense of humor can be off sometimes.
My ammonia is now on the rise, slowly, but rising. It's only .50ppm so it has a ways to go yet.

The rock is Reef saver from BRS. So the cycle will take longer I believe.

I did mix in the tank this time only as there was nothing living in there at the time. From now on I will use 5 gallon food grade buckets to mix.

Last edited:

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coming along nice now. Think about getting a small piece of good live rock after the cycle just to transfer some life.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:bigsmile: Albert, that's a piece of the tasty little cooked shrimp I picked up from the butcher an threw in 2 days ago!!! Sorry my sense of humor can be off sometimes.
My ammonia is now on the rise, slowly, but rising. It's only .50ppm so it has a ways to go yet.

The rock is Reef saver from BRS. So the cycle will take longer I believe.

I did mix in the tank this time only as there was nothing living in there at the time. From now on I will use 5 gallon food grade buckets to mix.

Sorry I misunderstood ... I thought you added a real live one to the tank ... my mistake .. and yes that is a good rise in ammonia but it will go a lot higher and nitrite often does not appear until day 10 or 11 or so ... but from there on it keeps rising ... and as you say with what you are using it will take about 4 weeks maybe a lithe more for your tank to cycle but that is fine, it takes the time it needs but eventually the nitrite will fall to zero and your tank is then cycled. Of course it needs a little patience but I prefer letting it all happen naturally rather than trying to speed it up with thoe bacteria additives that iMO do not really make all that much difference really, maybe a few days ... although some claim that you can cycle the tank in a few days .. but IME that is not really what is happening .. you are doing the right thing !

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information Albert! I am only checking ammonia right now, although I did test PH (8.0) just to get a base line number. I am checking ammonia daily, which is probably overkill but it gives me something to do with the tank instead of staring at it LOL. I do get to explain the Nitrogen Cycle numerous times to family members when they see that piece of shrimp in my tank. The first thing they say is "WHY". Then I get to sound smart and explain it to them. And then I get to smile at the blank look on their face as I talk water chemistry!

I look forward to a thriving Reef!!! A lot more work than any FW tank I have ever had but it will be so worth it. Plus I am retired so this keeps me off the streets!:angel:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%

Back