A Review of the Mr. Saltwater Tank Virtual tank Build Program

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I consider myself to be a relatively knowledgeable hobbyist. I wouldn’t classify myself as an expert, but at this point I can answer more questions than I’m asking, and I am confident in my abilities to develop, maintain, and cultivate a living and healthy reef tank. I’m also not looking at starting any new builds anytime soon (with 3 tanks going currently, my wife would kill me…or worse…).

However, when I heard about the Virtual Build Program being offered by Mark Callahan (Mr. Saltwater Tank), I was excited about the possibility of learning from one of the most recognized experts in the hobby. I (like many reef hobbyists) have watched many episodes of Mark’s popular YouTube video series, and so I am very familiar with his no-nonsense commonsensical approach to reefing and his expertise as a professional in this industry. I decided to enroll in Mark's program, with the hope to learn some skills from one of the best that might benefit me and my reef. …and I am SO glad that I did!

The Virtual Build Program surpassed my expectations! In the very first session on “Choosing a Tank” (a session about which, I freely admit I was skeptical about how much I would actual learn), Mark thoroughly explains the different options available to reefers and walks you through the many variables necessary to consider in choosing a tank (many of which I had honestly never considered). I was blown away by how much I learned (and now know why my next tank will be much different than the one I currently have running). In each of the subsequent sessions, Mark deals with everything from filtration and sump design to substrate and equipment choices (lighting, flow, etc.) to the development and maturation of your tank. Each of these sessions lasts roughly an hour and thoroughly explores each of the different aspects of building and developing a tank. Mark’s facilitation is engaging and interesting, and above all thorough—dealing with many aspects of the reef tank that I’d honestly never thought through!

During the program, we as participants were invited to take part in the Q&A that followed each session or to email Mark with questions that came up before or after each session. This was invaluable since there were multiple times that I would think of a question after the session that had not occurred to me during the video conference.

This 10 weeks has been one of the best investments in this hobby that I’ve ever made (and I’ve invested a lot…)! I’ve learned a great many tools that will be helpful not only in the building and development of my next tank (…ok…maybe I am thinking about another one…), but also have added many skills and ideas to my proverbial “tool belt” that I can use on the tank I am currently running.

One of the most beneficial aspects of the program is that Mark is all about walking with you in designing your tank around your own reefing philosophy, needs, situation, and Tank Personality, rather than just telling you what you “must” do. While there are certainly some solid recommendations and “do’s and don’ts” given (solid help that takes a lot of the complication out of the hobby and makes decision making a simple task), one of the things that comes clear is that the development of your tank and the choices you make are ultimately determined by your own specific situation, and Mark gives you the tools you need to make the best decision about each of those things with no-nonsense guidance.

What’s more is that these weeks haven’t been knowledge gained that I leave behind, because I have access to the videos and will continue to go back and consult them for refreshing my skills or to get ideas I may have missed the first time around. That means that when I do finally get around to that next upgrade, I'll be able to review the videos to be sure I don't miss ANY details!

Whether you’re considering starting a new tank, or if your tank is already running, and you’d just like to learn some new skills and ideas, I can solidly recommend the Virtual Tank Build program to you! Whether you’re just starting out, or if (like me) you consider yourself an experienced reefer, this program is an investment you should definitely make! It’s an enjoyable and enlightening journey that you’ll be glad you made!

EDIT: The VTB program is now closed. Mark is now running a program about Chemistry and Tank Automation which you can find via this link.

Last edited:

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review, I've been a slave to the forums and never took this type of stuff seriously. I do have respect and have watched many of Mark's videos, I just didn't know what it would give me other than what I could get in forums. However, just typing that out makes me see how one-sided and confusing that could be in itself.

The holiday sale makes this look awfully tempting.

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark is one of the people that inspired me to get into the hobby to be honest. Great stuff

prinaudo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not agree more, Mark's web series has been great help. I could not of had a better experience.

Ddavis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that most of the items that Mark puts out seem to be excellent and well thought through, mostly referring to his free youtube video's he had on line. However, I purchased his automation guide and was very disappointed because of the basic content int the guide and the fact that it was extremely short. I wrote these same comments to Mark but never heard anything back. After that time I have been holding off on buying anything additional from him but after reading this review and seeing some of the comments maybe my single point of reference with the automation guide is a one off. Now I too am considering buying the VTB program.

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it kill you to wait

I've done a few thread about my build that took over 9 months for various reasons and delays. In that time i was fortunate to use that time to plan. I did have a plan at the beginning. But in the course of all that waiting i did discover that plans don't always go as anticipated. I'm a natural planer, and organiser. I did my thread around that. Lots of pictures, i've did my own aquascultures, sculptures with tonga branches which i couldn't find any references anywhere.

So i did my own videos on YouTube, all my build up there, and in my thread lots of trick i've learned while waiting for the D-Day, lol. Time paid OFF actually. So i have a custom made tank now, with all kinds of refinements , one being a external glass wavebox for only $30 while the one on the market is $ 600 + .

People rush to put the water in and forget to plan and foresee the aquascape, the flow rate and waterflows, while studying it reduced my demand from 5 pumps to 3 pumps for my 150 Gallons tank.

Bottom line when you plan your steps you save money, and we all know that mistakes in are hobby= big $$$$$ its as simple as that. I did put lots of money in it, because i wanted a good system for my retirement. One that i wouldn't have to upgrade in 5 years from now, but just replace or upgrade what would default.

I'm not a wiz by any means, not good with tools really. But people say i have imagination, and lots of it. And thats what's needed to survive in a hobby often led by overbearing technology. Thats my 2cents on it.

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these DVDs I currently have no internet but am still interested in buying them if I can use them

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back