The twelve shrimps of Christmas: How many shrimp do you keep in your tank?

How many shrimp do you keep in your tank?

• There are no shrimp in my tank.

Votes: 184 27.6%
  • There are 1-2 shrimp in my tank.

Votes: 289 43.3%
  • There are 3-5 shrimp in my tank.

Votes: 139 20.8%
  • There are 6-9 shrimp in my tank.

Votes: 30 4.5%
  • There are 10 or more shrimp in my tank.

Votes: 25 3.7%

• Total voters

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank's full of hitchhiker pistol shrimp, so not exactly sure how many. There's one I recognize when I see it as well as my skunk cleaners, but I am sure that there are many more.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 peps and a coral banded. My then newly acquired wrasses treated them as snacks on the go

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and a not a shrimp Mantis “shrimp” presently. Who has remained a model citizen for a month being in the tank after hitching in .

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pair of the blood red fire. They're always hanging out together. Had em for a couple years now. If only I could train them to eat the out of control gsp ..

Attachments

• IMG_20231127_162950393.jpg
    IMG_20231127_162950393.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 29

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One coral banded in my DT and several “ghost shrimp” I got as feeders that ended up in my overflow.

I also have an unknown number of hitchhiker pistol shrimp and what I assume are mysis shrimp.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Fire, 2 peps, and 2 skunks.
Then I got a long nose hawkfish.
In 24 hours there were none.
What a dummy…..well….now I know.

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrimp per capita is through the roof. I love inverts, especially shrimp. In a ~34 gallon tank I have

- 1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp (named Lobster-Tail)
- 1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp (named Lego)
- 2 Penderson Cleaner Shrimp (collectively called the White Walkers)
- 3 Bumble Bee Shrimp (unnamed)
- 7 Sexy Shrimp (unnamed)

I used to have a Cleaner Shrimp affectionately named chopsticks, but he figured out coral were vending machines when I spot feed the LPS. He went back to the LFS.

All the shrimp get along. They all kind of do their own thing and don't really acknowledge the others.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many shrimp as possible!!

New tank has a pair of coral banded shrimp
6 peppermints
One skunk cleaner

... I would like a carpet anemone so I can get a family of sexy shrimp but I hear they are too good at catching small fish.

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One little pistol shrimp ❤️ She has a goby sister with her so I never see them (or hardly ever) but I hear her popping away all the time. When she comes out to bulldoze I can’t help but make the noises. (Brrrrrrrrr… BEEEPBEEPBEEP! Brrrrrrr…) my husband thinks I’m crazy.
My Pistol Pete likes the Bikini Pink bed because it has rocks and shells that he piles up in front of gobies opening. It's neat to watch him carefully stack the rocks and tap them in place.

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Tiger pistol shrimp Bob (the builder) lives with Archie the pink spotted goby. We love watching as Bob bosses Archie around while he is on guard duty all hours of the day. We are sure they have disagreements in their burrow. Sometimes Archie will grab a tiny hermit crab or a trochus and take it into the burrow for Bob - building materials? So funny to see them scurry out only be nabbed again and returned to the lair. Sometimes Bob will even chuck them out! We see them a lot and their partnership is one of the most interesting things in our tank.

We also have Sweeney (Todd) the skunk cleaner who is massive and will jump onto my hand and give me a manicure if I have it in the tank for any extended period.

Then Pinky the fire shrimp who was very timid we hardly saw for the first year but now he is quite brave and often seen.

Also Rocky the Coral Banded Shrimp who is scared of nothing and will come to the glass to try and pick a fight with me.

Love the shrimp!

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None right now. My snowflake ate them all! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Working on setting up a new 120. When I do, the snowflake will go into a secondary tank so I can have all the cool things again!

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all the extra dead mysis that my kid over feeds count? If so... Like 103. If not just three, the 1x Peppermint, 1x fire, and 1x Skunk. Love the long antennae on the cleaners!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love shrimp. Currently I have none except a huge colony of mysid shrimp. I learned long ago shrimp and lps dont mix well together. The shrimp steal food from the lps sometimes damaging them. My Skunk cleaner and blood shrimp were the talk of the tank anytime people came over that didnt do reef stuff. Both would happily clean your hand though the blood shrimp was less delicate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back