acclimating corals

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how most people go about acclimating their corals to their new tanks? Let me explain. So I go and order 10 new sps frags. Place them in the grow out tank and acclimate them to that light. They begin to grow and do well and have been proven not to have any flatworms or bugs. So time to move to the DT. Now if it is a new tank then I could just acclimate to the new lights again, but what if I already have sps colonies growing in there? I can't take the light away from them, so how do I acclimate the new corals without being detrimental to the existing coral?

mcbridepcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Star lowest lighting position, gradually bring them up weeks, or days to there desired and or proposed lighting requirements. FYI not all coral respond the same.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is a possibility, currently what I have.

40b under Chinese led lights. There is a paly frag, ZOA frag, two acro frags, couple other small things. These are all growing and doing well in this tank.

120 under dual kessil 360 and dual t5. Tank is still fairly new. What can I move over and expect to do well? Should anything and everything go straight to the bottom and work up?

I have struggled with sps badly in the past. I now have two that are actually growing and j don't want to kill them off by moving them to the new tank and wrong spot.

Vucious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in a frag rack at bottom and then gradually move the entire rack up everyday for 1 week.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are only running 2 360s and 2 T5 on a standard 120, I highly, highly doubt you can shock then with light.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually place my new frags in the front corners of the tank where the par level is at it's lowest. A week later I move them to the middle front, then a week after that slowly start moving them up the rocks until I figure out where they seem to like it best.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back