Comments Needed - Potential 4(d) ruling on threatened corals

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this has been posted already I apologize. However there are only 3 comments on the page at the time of this post so the word needs to get out!

From ReefBuilders.com:

National Marine Fisheries Service requests Comments from public to ascertain a potential 4(d) ruling on threatened corals

Uh oh. It looks like someone is doing their job at the National Marine Fisheries Service. Do you remember the 20 species of corals that were listed as threatened in 2014? The agency stated today: “We are now considering whether there are protective regulations that are necessary and advisable for the conservation of these 20 recently listed corals.†And so the agency started to solicit comments in the next step to see if a 4(d) ruling on 20 corals it recently listed as threatened could be applied in the future.

Read more: National Marine Fisheries Service requests Comments from public to ascertain a potential 4(d) ruling on threatened corals

Responses to this request for information must be received by March 16, 2015.

To file a comment brief you can head on toward the link below:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=NOAA_FRDOC_0001-3274

Here is a PDF to help you prepare an effective comment to the regulation:
http://www.regulations.gov/docs/Tips_For_Submitting_Effective_Comments.pdf

Please get the word out! If the 4(d) ruling comes into play, we are ALL in trouble...

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for bringing this up. I'll have to look into it a bit more when I have internet access from something other than my phone.

Would this ruling prohibit all sales/trades of these corals, or just the harvesting from wild colonies? I would be strongly opposed to limiting the sale and trade of aqua cultured and hobbyist propagated specimens, but probably less inclined to not put limitations or even prohibit the collection from natural reefs. Like I said, I'll have to look into it more before forming an opinion, but thank you for bringing this to my attention.

OP
OP
cdness

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4d ruling would make it illegal to own, transport, sell or trade any specimen on the list... however they can put in exceptions to the rule to exclude aquaculture and captive propagation. However it is not likely if the 4d ruling goes through.

The largest issue is the pd here couldn't tell the difference between a birdsnest and a frogspawn, let alone exact identification. So this would lay the groundwork for making the ALL illegal to assist with enforcement

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should we be fighting the listing or be trying to make aquacultured specimens exempt?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fight it unless it is based on scientific evidence.
Those corals are endangered, its not from the aquarium trade but none the less they are endangered.

OP
OP
cdness

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threatened, not endangered... I am all for protection in the wild if it is scientifically sound protections. Unfortunately many of the ones fighting the trade are doing it solely on emotion and not science.

If they are threatened and need protection, then look at it from the aspect of the captive trade is very successful. Stop wild colony collecting. Make incentives for local aquaculture and promote captive propagation.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 53 54.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.1%
Back