Banggai Cardinalfish to be banned!? Even aquacultured ones!?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...so are you hitching all of our wagons for the future of the hobby on Indo now caring and doing something, or not? It is an easy question.

I don't know if the wild populations will ever recover. I do know that if the US bans wild collection for our hobby that people will look other places for the blame. I am nearly positive that if we do not ban and the wild population get worse then it will be easier and easier to ban things that might not require it like these do.

Were you not around when clownfish bans from certain parts of the ocean were the reason that captive raise clown became a thing? Local governments started serious restrictions after Nemo fearing the worst - the good governments. I miss Soloman Island True Percs, but they needed to be banned, or at least severly limited. I guess you probably did not know about this since it was actual restriction and not hope that got this going.

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it to hard for you to ask yourself? Or you don't really want to know because it won't change your opinion, I am guessing. Just trying to poke at me for not questioning what you think I should. I'm more curious about the claims that everything is already captive bred anyways so who cares. I have asked multiple times in this thread what those stats are, both for captive breeding here in the US and importation statistics (wild-caught, captive bred, aquaculture) and no one seems to know, but are still supporting a ban despite not knowing actual statistics. Everywhere I search people interchange captive bred with aquaculture and it doesn't look like NOAA differentiates either. If you are going to ban something shouldn't you know the granular statistics of what you are banning? Seems like Step 1 to me, which is why I question claims of percentages.
There is little data provided, even in the official proposal. It is estimated that around 120,000 Bangaii are imported to the U.S. from less than five providers overseas (roughly 500,000-600,000 globally) annually. These sales account for around 6% of their total annual revenue. There seems to be no "statistics" to validate claims for either side honestly. I agree with you and also recommend questioning the idea that captive breeding stateside is "difficult" yet there are local reefers I have met over the years that breed clowns and cardinals easily. It boils down to the fact that even with so-called "captive-bred" efforts overseas the natural Bangaii population is still declining, so authorities are considering banning all imports/exports, which to me makes sense. Didn't mean to come off trying to "poke at" you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back