Banggai Cardinalfish to be banned!? Even aquacultured ones!?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it go. I am sure that the NOAA is gonna dissolve the minute that they see these comments and banggai fisherman will be back in business. I think that I saw a report from the AP that every law enforcement organization from The Avengers to the Boy and Girl Scouts is on the way to arrest the criminals anyway.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is I know is I noticed my pair of Banggai cardinals has a brood. So I am thinking that using the yellow tang as an example I can sell the babies for $200-$400 each or I can sell the breeding pair to an investor for about $10,000...
Still feel there is no need for a ban, but also no need to import the fish either.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can end up like clowns, right? $50 early on. Maybe down to $30 as more and more people CB them. Then, the abberent ones show up and get bred. Midnight Banggai, Montana White (don't want to steal the Wyoming name), long fins, clear ones or ones with zebra stripes.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can end up like clowns, right? $50 early on. Maybe down to $30 as more and more people CB them. Then, the abberent ones show up and get bred. Midnight Banggai, Montana White (don't want to steal the Wyoming name), long fins, clear ones or ones with zebra stripes.
I like Midnight Banggai... I will have to TM that one. Or Banggai Boots. I will also have to come up with some proprietary fake long spine urchins for the broods. Ones that look real but don't eat your coraline or send you to urgent care.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good gravy. It’s enough that you try to trash democracy. What do you suggest? Then you go on to make an assertion about the constitution that, if you thought about it, makes no sense. What year do you think it is? Do you think state laws should over ride the 13th and 19th amendments? Those are just the obvious ones that come to mind. They don’t apply to the military. Who’s your favorite president? Jefferson Davis doesn’t count unless you want him to.
In the USA we have a Representative Republic, not a democracy.

The 13th and 19th fall under the heading of protecting citizens.

It's 2023. I am going to forego answering the question of who my favorite president is in an effort to not derail this thread any further.

You know, Banggai Cardinals never really appealed to me in the first place.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget the ever popular "koi" variation that looks like blotches of color frankensteined together.

Bigfish502

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...so is this like not taking the car away from a teenager with too many speeding tickets so that you can threaten them to take it away later, then hope and wish that they slow down now? Maybe the neighbor with the dog barking all day will send it to training now that another neighbor has a baby? Stay in an toxic relationship since the other side said that they are going to do better this time, again?

Fisherman are now all of a sudden going to care and get smart with no change to the status quo? Fisherman going to learn something new and buy new equipment instead of lighting a fuse or putting a toxic elixir in the water just out of the kindness of their hearts with no change to the status quo? Very few other humans change without changing the status quo, so why should any of them be any different?

What has been happening is not working, so anybody got any actual steps to take? Do we say "pretty please, with sugar on top" this time? If not this proposal, then what? HOW do you hold Indo accountable? What actual actions do you take? Anybody got anything besides hopes and dreams? I am seriously wondering about what can actually be done.
No I thought we'd take a page out of your book and threaten them with a ban if they don't clean up their act. Give them an ultimatum that if they don't clean up their act in 5 years time the NOAA will institute the import ban. In that 5 years investments can be made in expanding captive breeding efforts domestically and abroad to signal how serious we are about it. If they fail to make sufficient progress at least then we will have expanded our captive breeding efforts to the point to where we could more easily do without Indonesian wild imports.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I thought we'd take a page out of your book and threaten them with a ban if they don't clean up their act. Give them an ultimatum that if they don't clean up their act in 5 years time the NOAA will institute the import ban. In that 5 years investments can be made in expanding captive breeding efforts domestically and abroad to signal how serious we are about it. If they fail to make sufficient progress at least then we will have expanded our captive breeding efforts to the point to where we could more easily do without Indonesian wild imports.
Unfortunately, most undereducated and impoverished humans do not act like that. They will look at that, as we have four years and eleven months to continue their current actions and then the last month they will do the minimum to get an extension. "because they are making changes "
I feel, as I said before, this needs to happen at the distributor level with a pledge that they will not import any Banggai's. That way you cut off the economic flow. We will still need to address the blowing up the reefs for materials for roads issue... but that is another deal.

Bigfish502

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, most undereducated and impoverished humans do not act like that. They will look at that, as we have four years and eleven months to continue their current actions and then the last month they will do the minimum to get an extension. "because they are making changes "
I feel, as I said before, this needs to happen at the distributor level with a pledge that they will not import any Banggai's. That way you cut off the economic flow. We will still need to address the blowing up the reefs for materials for roads issue... but that is another deal.
There is a possibility they will try to do that which is why the ultimatum has to be unyielding so they don't procrastinate. As things stand currently if the ban went into effect tomorrow the whole industry would erupt into chaos and the price for Banggai cardinal fish would quadruple as domestic aquaculture simply isn't currently able to keep up with the demand. Whether Indonesia makes changes or not the 5 years would give us time to increase captive breeding capabilities so that if it comes down to it we aren't struggling to meet demand.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You should also ask for a source of the OP's comment, "Domestic production is very difficult, and is space and labor intensive, and will therefore likely never grow cost effective to meet the demand here in the U.S."
Is it to hard for you to ask yourself? Or you don't really want to know because it won't change your opinion, I am guessing. Just trying to poke at me for not questioning what you think I should. I'm more curious about the claims that everything is already captive bred anyways so who cares. I have asked multiple times in this thread what those stats are, both for captive breeding here in the US and importation statistics (wild-caught, captive bred, aquaculture) and no one seems to know, but are still supporting a ban despite not knowing actual statistics. Everywhere I search people interchange captive bred with aquaculture and it doesn't look like NOAA differentiates either. If you are going to ban something shouldn't you know the granular statistics of what you are banning? Seems like Step 1 to me, which is why I question claims of percentages.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to get somebody to post an article or come on the record, but I have heard from a few industry folks that the reports of selling wild caught cardinals as AQ are probably true. Of course, none of this matters if nobody will step up and own it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a possibility they will try to do that which is why the ultimatum has to be unyielding so they don't procrastinate. As things stand currently if the ban went into effect tomorrow the whole industry would erupt into chaos and the price for Banggai cardinal fish would quadruple as domestic aquaculture simply isn't currently able to keep up with the demand. Whether Indonesia makes changes or not the 5 years would give us time to increase captive breeding capabilities so that if it comes down to it we aren't struggling to meet demand.

So we are hoping? Hope is not a strategy or course of action. You are expecting a country that has not done anything yet with this species or others is all of a sudden going to care. Again, how do you make the thread so unyielding that they listen? How? NOAA listed this fish as endangered in 2016 - are you sure that the threats have not happened already to no avail?

Seriously, do you not feel that this approach is not naive and foolish? Are you willing to risk the rest of the hobby on Indo's response to this? If after five years nothing has changed and the wild populations are in even worse shape, what do you say then to the folks who want to ban everything else for wild collection? Our hobby and industry certianly will have lost their voices on the topic. You willing to hitch all of our trailers to this turd of a trailer? I DO NOT want you to hitch all of our trailers onto this turd.

I don't mean to get all preachy or anything, but do you have teenagers or young adults in your home? Have you ever led a team of workers who suck? You would NEVER put your livelihood on the line with this same approach to a career or young people who depend on you to make them functional.

Hope is not the mother of invention, necessity is. Nothing will changed until somebody makes them.

Maybe if we send them this?
sugar.gif

Bigfish502

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are hoping? Hope is not a strategy or course of action. You are expecting a country that has not done anything yet with this species or others is all of a sudden going to care. Again, how do you make the thread so unyielding that they listen? How? NOAA listed this fish as endangered in 2016 - are you sure that the threats have not happened already to no avail?

Seriously, do you not feel that this approach is not naive and foolish? Are you willing to risk the rest of the hobby on Indo's response to this? If after five years nothing has changed and the wild populations are in even worse shape, what do you say then to the folks who want to ban everything else for wild collection? Our hobby and industry certianly will have lost their voices on the topic. You willing to hitch all of our trailers to this turd of a trailer? I DO NOT want you to hitch all of our trailers onto this turd.

I don't mean to get all preachy or anything, but do you have teenagers or young adults in your home? Have you ever led a team of workers who suck? You would NEVER put your livelihood on the line with this same approach to a career or young people who depend on you to make them functional.

Hope is not the mother of invention, necessity is. Nothing will changed until somebody makes them.

Maybe if we send them this?
sugar.gif
Hope has nothing to do with it. If Indonesia changes their ways, great. If they don't, at least we will have had to time to properly prepare alternatives. Perhaps Indonesia hasn't put as much effort in because we haven't given them any reason to seriously believe we would cut them off. Actions speak louder than words. If they see that we are proactively building up captive breeding capabilities ahead of the deadline they are more likely to take the threat seriously.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope has nothing to do with it. If Indonesia changes their ways, great. If they don't, at least we will have had to time to properly prepare alternatives. Perhaps Indonesia hasn't put as much effort in because we haven't given them any reason to seriously believe we would cut them off. Actions speak louder than words. If they see that we are proactively building up captive breeding capabilities ahead of the deadline they are more likely to take the threat seriously.
Why would anyone build up capacity for CB Cardinals without the ban?

It's not like this is a national project with government funding. Consumers will continue to choose the cheapest Cardinals they can get. The ban will create a national shortage and a need for the CB market to adapt to.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That sounds like the definition of a hopeful outcome.

We hope that the fish don't go further down hill. We hope that indo cares at all. We hope that they take stuff seriously now when they have not in the past. We hope that CB will ramp up when wild specimens will still be available at cheaper prices.

There is not anything actionable in that whole paragraph or proposal. If not this, then what? I have yet to hear any other form of something to do, other than hope or nothing. I submitted mine, which is to allow import and export from true CB - this is actionable, not hope.

Back to the question... do you want to hitch our future as hobbyists on a hope that this can work out?

Bigfish502

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would anyone build up capacity for CB Cardinals without the ban?

It's not like this is a national project with government funding. Consumers will continue to choose the cheapest Cardinals they can get. The ban will create a national shortage and a need for the CB market to adapt to.
Simple, the NOAA tells ORA and all the other aquaculture operations that in 5 years time a ban on wild imports will be instituted, unless Indonesia can show "exceptional" progress with preserving the species wild populations.
That sounds like the definition of a hopeful outcome.

We hope that the fish don't go further down hill. We hope that indo cares at all. We hope that they take stuff seriously now when they have not in the past. We hope that CB will ramp up when wild specimens will still be available at cheaper prices.

There is not anything actionable in that whole paragraph or proposal. If not this, then what? I have yet to hear any other form of something to do, other than hope or nothing. I submitted mine, which is to allow import and export from true CB - this is actionable, not hope.

Back to the question... do you want to hitch our future as hobbyists on a hope that this can work out?
Both of our approaches involve some amount of hope. You hope that the ban will prevent the aquarium hobbyists from losing face and will help the species recover. I hope that by giving our aquaculture operations time to properly prepare they can supply demand while at the same time hoping that Indonesia will see the work being done to move away from wild harvesting and will act to increase their own aquaculture operations as well increase their protections of wild populations. But regardless of our hope, both our plans involve some kind of call to action. If the NOAA moves forward as if a ban will take place (unless by some strange miracle the wild populations magically rebound wink-wink ) but is willing to give time for domestic aquaculture operations to properly prepare, the Indonesian government is more likely to take that seriously. And even if they don't, we will be more prepared for a ban and the economic fallout will be less severe than if they went and passed a ban the very next year. Like stocking up on supplies before the long winter. Switching to all captive bred Banggai cardinal fish isn't a change that can happen overnight. New facilities need to build, business models adjusted, methods perfected, and distribution meticulously planned. Sure wild caught might be cheaper in the short term, but like what see with the ocellarus clownfish when a saltwater fish is easy enough to breed captive production will eventually become more convenient and arguably cheaper than wild harvest.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’ve reviewed the science behind their decision or are you just taking them at face value? What percent of cardinals are bred and imported vs bred in the US? What percent are wild caught and imported?

I am not a scientist. I've reviewed the NOAA proposal, the article posted by @FeliciaM, the conference talk by Sprung, and I've made a decision on which side I'm on.

The % of imported vs bred is not important; I do not think this hobby is important enough to DEMAND import of a fish used for ornamental purposes. Maybe it's because I am not obsessed with what see as government overreach.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple, the NOAA tells ORA and all the other aquaculture operations that in 5 years time a ban on wild imports will be instituted, unless Indonesia can show "exceptional" progress with preserving the species wild populations.

So is your main concern with keeping the purchase price low? Is that why you are so concerned with supply?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back