µmols to ppm help...

  • Thread starter Thread starter mcarroll
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
15,680
Reaction score
9,302
Location
Virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reading too many things giving me nitrate and phosphate concentrations in µmols but I speak ppms.

I'm sure since I learned to read ppm's in the hobby that it's wrong or at least antiquated. ;)

Can someone tell me how to convert ppm's of NO3 and PO4 to µmols?

I have only gathered enough to know that it's not a straightforward conversion factor kind of thing.

Thanks for any answers or pointers!!


P.S. If you can also explain, if both units are usable for expressing concentration, why we measure in ppm instead of µmols, it would hopefully be interesting. :)
 
We should not use ppm since it is inherently flawed. Scientists use molar units.

It is straightforward, you just have to know how to do it.

mw nitrate (molecular weight) = 62 g/mole = 62 mg/mmol
mw phosphate = 95 g/mole = 95 mg/mmol

The short and rough estimate (which ignores the density of the seawater and equates ppm and mg/L) is to divide the weight based concentration (ppm) by the grams per mole.

1 ppm --> 1 mg/L

for nitrate:

1 ppm --> 1 mg/L / 62 mg/mmol = 0.016 mmole/L = 16 umole/L
 
Thanks!!! :)

molecular weight corresponds to atomic weight?

"Standard Atomic Weights:"
Nitrate = NO3 = (14 + (16 • 3)) = 62 mg/milli-mol
PO4
= (31 + (16 • 4)) = 95 mg/milli-mol

Got it so far, I think. :)

I tend to see nutrient nitrate concentration in the literature raised to 6.0 µmols/L fairly often.

To go backwards to ppm (for my test kits), I would go back to milli-mol, so:
6.0 µmols/L = 0.006 milli-mol/L​

And then convert to mg/L:
.006 milli-mol/L • 62 mg/milli-mol = .372 ppm​

Did I get that right?
 
6.0 µmol/L of PO4 would then be 0.57 ppm?
 
Thanks! This is going to be a huge help!! :)
 
We should not use ppm since it is inherently flawed. Scientists use molar units.

If I'm reading a modern scientific article about coral that uses mg/l or ppm rather than molar units, can I infer anything about the quality of the work, or in your estimation is that putting too much on it?
 
If I'm reading a modern scientific article about coral that uses mg/l or ppm rather than molar units, can I infer anything about the quality of the work, or in your estimation is that putting too much on it?

I'm not sure, but probably not. It might be more of an aquaculture "cultural thing".
 
Here's exactly how concentration of nitrogen is expessed in one article:
"above 5 μmol l−1"

Is that ≆ to "above 0.31 ppm" nitrate?
 
Oh...forgot my meta questions:

What exactly do the units mean as expressed?

I would write what I think they mean as: µmol/L

They use all lower case, no slash and what's the -1 for? It seems like I see almost all chemistry units expressed with a -1 at the end.
 
The -1 is used to designate that the unit with the -1 after it is the denominator. So 5 μmol l−1 is also equal to 5 μmol/l.
 
Okay, it's time for my once-every-decade nitrate units conversion question!

Seems in fish literature there's a different standard for reporting nitrate than us and than the above examples which I think were in coral literatue.

For fish they seem to like mg/L of NO3-N.

If possible I'd like confirmation or correction on translating to ppm of NO3. I'm thinking it's a similar conversion as done earlier in the thread, but maybe not the same?

Goog say multiply mg/L NO3-N by 4.43 based on the atomic weight of the atoms.

Screenshot 2026-10-06 at 4.31.17 AM.png


So if I read that X fish is going to react badly to 250 mg/L NO3-N....is that the same as saying 1,108 ppm NO3?

I'm trying to read up on what levels of nitrate are actually verified as (acutely) harmful to fish but whenI do that conversion I'm getting these huge ppm NO3 numbers nowhere close to what anyone I've ever heard of getting in their tanks.....wondering if the numbers are correct of maybe the Goog is misleading me? :)

Thanks in advance....
 
Okay, it's time for my once-every-decade nitrate units conversion question!

Seems in fish literature there's a different standard for reporting nitrate than us and than the above examples which I think were in coral literatue.

For fish they seem to like mg/L of NO3-N.

If possible I'd like confirmation or correction on translating to ppm of NO3. I'm thinking it's a similar conversion as done earlier in the thread, but maybe not the same?

Goog say multiply mg/L NO3-N by 4.43 based on the atomic weight of the atoms.

Screenshot 2026-10-06 at 4.31.17 AM.png


So if I read that X fish is going to react badly to 250 mg/L NO3-N....is that the same as saying 1,108 ppm NO3?

I'm trying to read up on what levels of nitrate are actually verified as (acutely) harmful to fish but whenI do that conversion I'm getting these huge ppm NO3 numbers nowhere close to what anyone I've ever heard of getting in their tanks.....wondering if the numbers are correct of maybe the Goog is misleading me? :)

Thanks in advance....
NO3-N is nitrate nitrogen or the amount of nitrogen from a molecule of nitrate. Conversion is correct.

My impression is fish tolerate a boat load of nitrate.
 
NO3-N is nitrate nitrogen or the amount of nitrogen from a molecule of nitrate. Conversion is correct.

My impression is fish tolerate a boat load of nitrate.
Thank you!

Indeed on the boat load.

I'm learning, among other things, that public aquariums are dirty, nasty environments compared to our home aquariums. Yikes! (at least judging by NO3 levels)

In terms of acute toxicity, LC50 NO3 values for baby fish (including larvae, fry, fingerlings, juveniles) seem to range from astronomic to near-infinite....from a "low" of 800 ppm to as much as 22,000 ppm!! (some were seawater, some freshwater....doesn't seem to matter)
 
About 12 years ago, one of the Reerfcentral members who was a chemistry professor (he published the composition of NOPOX based on NMR in his lab) searched carefully on nitrate toxicity and the lowest marine LC50 he could find was 2200 ppm nitrate ion.

https://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2497914
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new