‘Rainbow Bottom’ Anemones are like Nothing We’ve Ever Seen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FishandSticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same green foot, also this video is under natural light. Ive never had a problem with tube nems. Except when I dropped a fish straight into one in a 20 gallon. Oops
To be fair though ive even seen a rock flower anemone eat a cleaner shrimp before. Not sure if it was already dead first though.

Last edited:

FishandSticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess its probably possible the diver could have fed the pistol shrimp to the anemone for the video. Just posted it as its the only video I could find relating to it.

FishandSticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess its probably possible the diver could have fed the pistol shrimp to the anemone for the video. Just posted it as its the only video I could find relating to it.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They appear to be Anthopleura fuscoviridis, in which case long term survival could be very poor indeed. In my experience with others in this Genus they'll need plenty of food and consistent feedings, and I'd imagine a clownfish would be a meal. They do harbor Zooxanthellae but should be treated as non photosynthetic. We'll see how the first buyers report back. Strange for all these vendors and hobbyists to jump on something like this and drop so much cash with basically no info about them.

ecamden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have some at That Aquarium Place in Spring Tx. Not sure how many are left but Jamal had 3 on Wednesday. If he has any left by tomorrow he said he'll bring them to reef currents. They're absolutely stunning in person

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not a natural host for clowns - you can keep it !

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given there is not much info to go on, it seems to me to be incredibly irresponsible of LFS's, or anyone, to be selling these. Buyer beware!

Buyer: Man, those look awesome!
Seller: Yes, don't they!
Buyer: Are they photosynthetic?
Seller: Um, yeah, well, we don't know.
Buyer: Would it be good to spot feed them?
Seller: Um, yeah well, we don't know.
Buyer: Ok, so where do you think it should be placed in a tank?
Buyer: Are they a temperate or tropical water species?
Buyer: Are they toxic?
Buyer: Hhhmmmm... Ok, so what exactly do you know about them?
Seller: Actually, nothing other than they look awesome!
Seller: If you want one they start out around... um, yeah, well, because they look pretty cool, they're pretty expensive. How bad do you want it?

Last edited:

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given there is not much info to go on, it seems to me to be incredibly irresponsible of LFS's, or anyone, to be selling these. Buyer beware!

Buyer: Man, those look awesome!
Seller: Yes, don't they!
Buyer: Are they photosynthetic?
Buyer: Would it be good to spot feed them?
Seller: Um, yeah well, we don't know.
Buyer: Ok, so where do you think it should be placed in a tank?
Buyer: Are they a temperate or tropical water species?
Buyer: Are they toxic?
Buyer: Hhhmmmm... Ok, so what exactly do you know about them?
Seller: Actually, nothing other than they look awesome!
Seller: If you want one they start out around... um, yeah, well, because they look pretty cool, they're pretty expensive. How bad do you want it?

It seems dollar signs are more important than general care information and the wellfare of the animals being sold. This new fad has been pretty disappointing to see take root.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems dollar signs are more important than general care information and the wellfare of the animals being sold. This new fad has been pretty disappointing to see take root.

The whole “pump and dump” tactic always works. Preys on weak minds that want acceptance and attention and turns a healthy profit.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Isn't that the truth and I hope you are right in that it is just a fad.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course these are going to be expensive, it's a brand new species. While I certainly agree it would be better to know more about them there is a certain excitement when new species of fish, coral or anemones hit the market and you get to learn about them first hand at home. It's not everyday or even every year something truly new hits the market. While there no doubt will be some at home losses, similar losses would likely happen in retail / wholesale environmental but many in those situations would be less likely to share their experiences at least at the same level as a hobbyist who is at home staring at their new specimen vs the wholesaler who sees 100s of 1000s of rainbows pass through weekly.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course these are going to be expensive, it's a brand new species. While I certainly agree it would be better to know more about them there is a certain excitement when new species of fish, coral or anemones hit the market and you get to learn about them first hand at home. It's not everyday or even every year something truly new hits the market. While there no doubt will be some at home losses, similar losses would likely happen in retail / wholesale environmental but many in those situations would be less likely to share their experiences at least at the same level as a hobbyist who is at home staring at their new specimen vs the wholesaler who sees 100s of 1000s of rainbows pass through weekly.
I agree with this but the timing is extremely suspicious. No one has posted these for sale until after the Reef builders article and they all dropped their inventory linking to this article with this hyped up title and a $500 price tag. More than likely Jake was given a couple nems to hype this up on his channel and that’s something he should disclose

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this but the timing is extremely suspicious. No one has posted these for sale until after the Reef builders article and they all dropped their inventory linking to this article with this hyped up title and a $500 price tag. More than likely Jake was given a couple nems to hype this up on his channel and that’s something he should disclose

unfortunately, I agree. It's pretty suspicious.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well... the species isn't new at all. They've been around a long time. Just because they got CITES permits to collect some of this species doesn't mean they should have, that goes for the countless other coral species that are never collected. It doesn't mean it's even rare either, look how many instantly popped up for sale, it's a hype game. And our concern for losses is due to the fact that every other species In its Genus is cold water and predatory. If the same is true for this anemone, survivability will be poor. Many hobbyists refuse feeding less demanding corals, when these could require several feedings per day. Just saying it's likely more demanding and just offering them without mentioning any care is irresponsible.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very suspicious, indeed!
If it walks like a duck...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back