“Display” HOB Refugium

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon cube AIO tank and looking to add a HOB refugium to help bring down nitrates and phosphates and also as a place for copepods. Problem is I can’t hang the refugium on the back due to it being an AIO and my back chambers are full, so the refugium would have to go in the side. Being on the side of the tank is fine but I don’t want it to be an eyesore either. So looking for ideas on how to make this HOB refugium a nice display with some nice macro algae, but at the same time also helping reduce nitrates and phosphates.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you can try these:

get a small glass scraper from flipper or any company of your choice to keep the glass clean. add a small amount of miracle mud or live sand from @AquaBiomics (if you’d like) and boom, a display fuge

OP
OP
AllAmericanReefs

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The Miracle Mud seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment unfortunately but I have looked into that for substrate. This is the refugium I was thinking of getting, https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/advanced-hang-on-back-refugium-pro-series-large-fiji-cube.html. What kind of inverts if any could I house inside of that HOB refugium?
that HOB fuge can definitely work. as for sand, you can get any sand you’d like. eventually it will provide a habitat for your micro fauna. inverts can be anything that fits inside of the fuge. i would recommend cerith, trochus, nassarius snails (vibex, the smaller kind), or astrea snails. maybe a dwarf blue hermit crab or two(they may eat your snails later on though for their shells.)

OP
OP
AllAmericanReefs

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that HOB fuge can definitely work. as for sand, you can get any sand you’d like. eventually it will provide a habitat for your micro fauna. inverts can be anything that fits inside of the fuge. i would recommend cerith, trochus, nassarius snails (vibex, the smaller kind), or astrea snails. maybe a dwarf blue hermit crab or two(they may eat your snails later on though for their shells.)
I might wait a few weeks just to see if that mud does come into stock. But I did see that Brightwell makes a nice looking substrate for fuges. Think a sexy shrimp or two would fit in there? Or too small of an area?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I might wait a few weeks just to see if that mud does come into stock. But I did see that Brightwell makes a nice looking substrate for fuges. Think a sexy shrimp or two would fit in there? Or too small of an area?
that could work? but id focus more on CUC for the small fuge area so it makes it self sufficient. usually in sumps in the refugium it does build up detritus and inevitably you’ll have to go in and do some cleaning. with a dedicated CUC you’ll have to worry less about it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back