“Keep you hands out of the tank”— literally or figuratively?

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding elevated ph... That will have more to do with being away rather than simply keeping your hand out of the tank. Carbon dioxide in your breath will bring ph down, so it will always trend upwards if the house is empty a while. I even see lower ph on the weekends when everyone is home all day compared to weekdays when everyone is out for 6-8 hours
Agreed in a home that will be true. Our tanks though are in an outbuilding and we have an outside air exchange device on our heating and a 1/2' tube to our skimmer with fresh air as well.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the best things i did was start gluing frags down instead of placing/wedging them in places which i would then just move a few days later or it would fall. now i "cant" move them and they grow great. so in my sense i think it was a "stop monkeying around" issue, i try and make sure my hands are relatively clean when even they go in

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2937.jpg These gloves work great for general maintenance in the tank. They certainly don't have the feel of bare hands for fine placement of corals and such, but work well for all other things. That is if your tanks not super deep.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2937.jpg These gloves work great for general maintenance in the tank. They certainly don't have the feel of bare hands for fine placement of corals and such, but work well for all other things. That is if your tanks not super deep.
I like that but most gloves are too small for my hands. How do they fit?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're actually too big for me, but I have a medium sized hand and wear a medium in most gloves. Wish you could order them by size. They seem to be durable. No leaks so far. I've used them for a few months now. Every so often I'll soak them in bleach water, inside and out. And let them hang dry. I used to have a 30 inch deep tank and they were a little short for working on the bottom. This is my second pair. Last tank was setup back in 2011. I've since downsized substantially tank wise and they work well. Current tank is about 22 inches deep.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We tried these at work for handling fish without exposing ourselves to chemicals. They were too bulky for delicate work.... I would much rather use a surgical glove if I needed to pick up a tiny frag. My hands generally work well in a large nitrile glove.

Rolrod39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key in this hobby. I have been in the hobby for a little over 3 years and I do research at leasl once a week. The nitrate cycle is very important to learn about and using your water test tell where your going is key. If we can do it you can to

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of taking any chances when moving my live rock or adding some SPS corals to my tank I always try to use my Tunze Protective Gloves when going in! They come packaged from #TUNZE - 10 per pack and they are only $7.00 dollars from from AquaCave! Its worth it if your going to actually use them..
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 5.59.35 AM.png

Last edited:

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of taking any chances when moving my live rock or adding some SPS corals to my tank I always try to use my Tunze Protective Gloves when going in! They come packaged from #TUNZE - 10 per pack and they are only $7.00 dollars from from AquaCave! Its worth it if your going to actually use them..
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 5.59.35 AM.png
Thanks for this.

Those long red and blue ones are so thick they are impossible to use if you need use of your fingers and thumb lol.

I'll put an order in for these.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely a believer, after my last vacation, that hands out of the tank does wonders...

My alkalinity tripled in usage towards the end of my vacation with no hands in the tank. I dont move frags as all mine are fixed to the rock work, but do change out nori daily, pick up snails on their backs, etc.

There soaps and lotions we use definitely inhibits the tanks growth in one way, shape, or form..

Edit: oh and to note, I don't use anti-bacterial soaps either..

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely a believer, after my last vacation, that hands out of the tank does wonders...

My alkalinity tripled in usage towards the end of my vacation with no hands in the tank. I dont move frags as all mine are fixed to the rock work, but do change out nori daily, pick up snails on their backs, etc.

There soaps and lotions we use definitely inhibits the tanks growth in one way, shape, or form..

Edit: oh and to note, I don't use anti-bacterial soaps either..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting, whats the deal with Anti Bacterial soap? I never heard anything about that before..

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second on the chemiclean! I had a really bad outbreak and didn’t want to go down the “chemical road” because of my slimmer going nuts and all but after I used it twice. (My slime was bad) and set up an algae reactor, everything has been good so far. Biggest thing is I’ve let the tank just do what it was and dose accordingly
Good luck!

af2d091d452f8eefd20a98dbd50edf3b.jpg
11ad270b20e2c83d23ecec1ae74054ca.jpg
a74879ddf5530f2807f37779ad28616d.jpg
I have a bad cyano problem as well. Seems I've been fighting it for months. Chemiclean worked very well. But after 5 times the cyano still comes back. I'm wondering if I have too few nutrients. My phosphate levels and nitrates are undetectable. What do ya think?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back