Do you have a sheriff in your tank?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of my chromis have been having a heated argument this afternoon and my hippo tang has been stepping in to separate them when they start to get out of hand.

Does anyone else have a sheriff/enforcer in their tank?

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanted a sixline wrasse to casually keep some pest populations in check. He's mostly cool and does good work but he bullies my yellow clown goby sometimes

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my tomini tang was the sheriff, but never was a bully. it actually kept peace in the tank with its size.

i've since rehomed it and only have 2-3 fish in my 40B now.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a sixline wrasse to casually keep some pest populations in check. He's mostly cool and does good work but he bullies my yellow clown goby sometimes
My six line is still pretty tiny but he has a big personality too. Doesn’t bully anyone but chases my dwarf angels around a bit.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tomini tang was the sheriff, but never was a bully. it actually kept peace in the tank with its size.

i've since rehomed it and only have 2-3 fish in my 40B now.
How long did you keep him in a 40? I have some algae that I would like taken care of and I’m wondering whether I can responsibly add a tomini or a scopas juvenile for a few months to take care of it naturally. I have larger tanks that he would go into eventually.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How long did you keep him in a 40? I have some algae that I would like taken care of and I’m wondering whether I can responsibly add a tomini or a scopas juvenile for a few months to take care of it naturally. I have larger tanks that he would go into eventually.
i got it very small. maybe 1.5-2 inches. grew to almost 4" within a few months.

i say, if you responsibly buy it to rehome it(and have the home picked out before the purchase) you should be good to go. i would've kept it longer, but thought 4" was big enough to rehome and replace with a very small court jester goby.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sailfin is the biggest in the tank. He has no ego but keeps things peaceful. I bet if he wasn’t there the purple tang would be a bunch more aggressive with everyone. Althou my emperor angle is getting pretty big and about the same size as the sailfin. They now have standoffs but so far so good. We see

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sailfin tang is most definitely the sheriff with some minor bully thrown in for good measure.

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a sheriff, more like the town ruffian. My male halichores chrysus will randomly start crap with the gramma, the clowns, and even try and nip the eyes of the conchs. Thankfully it’s usually a foul mood that passes. Did have to rehome a diamond goby though. He hated that guy

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang is the king of my tank, and he rules with an iron fist.

He is the most aggressive fish in the tank but honestly he isn’t too bad. I’ve always been able to get a new fish acclimated with using the mirror trick. Once a fish has been in the tank a few days he mostly leaves them alone. He will still dart at someone who is in his way but it doesn’t get violent.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a sheriff, more like the town ruffian. My male halichores chrysus will randomly start crap with the gramma, the clowns, and even try and nip the eyes of the conchs. Thankfully it’s usually a foul mood that passes. Did have to rehome a diamond goby though. He hated that guy
Lol… I haven’t quite yet found a fish pair that hated each other but that’s super interesting. Fun to hear the random stories!

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang is the king of my tank, and he rules with an iron fist.

He is the most aggressive fish in the tank but honestly he isn’t too bad. I’ve always been able to get a new fish acclimated with using the mirror trick. Once a fish has been in the tank a few days he mostly leaves them alone. He will still dart at someone who is in his way but it doesn’t get violent.
I so want a purple but i am definitely worried about aggression. Do you have any other tangs?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Guy!
20240409_152242.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so want a purple but i am definitely worried about aggression. Do you have any other tangs?
My only other tang is a tomini and there is no real aggression between them other than the quick chase if the tomini is in the purple tangs way, but he does that with every fish.

Putting a mirror up to the tank when introducing a new fish has work really well for me with my purple tang.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only other tang is a tomini and there is no real aggression between them other than the quick chase if the tomini is in the purple tangs way, but he does that with every fish.

Putting a mirror up to the tank when introducing a new fish has work really well for me with my purple tang.
Haven’t had to use the mirror trick yet. This si going to sound so silly but do you just hang one off the side of the tank?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 74.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back