“Sump Skimmer”

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I place a skimmer inside a 10gallon tank and bring the water up to the level it’s supposed to be in my “acting sump” and not put anything else in there? So just skimmer and nothing else? I’m asking because I’ve never seen this before.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you can. Will the 10g be plumbed into your main system?

main reason why you probably haven’t seen this is if you have a sump that could accommodate a skimmer, it would be a lot more work to set up a separate tank solely for a skimmer, plumb it in, etc.

but if done right I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Just going to need to make sure that there’s enough water going through the aforementioned 10g for the skimmer to properly filter out all the organics from the system

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you can. Will the 10g be plumbed into your main system?

main reason why you probably haven’t seen this is if you have a sump that could accommodate a skimmer, it would be a lot more work to set up a separate tank solely for a skimmer, plumb it in, etc.

but if done right I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Just going to need to make sure that there’s enough water going through the aforementioned 10g for the skimmer to properly filter out all the organics from the system
Eh, idk about plumbed in, I should be able to grab some pipes right.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah, but what’s the layout with this tank va your system?
So I’m a newbie so forgive ignorant thoughts. I’m thinking if I have this thought out right. 10g tank underneath my 75g tank. I saw a skimmer that needs 8” of water in the “sump”. A 10g is 12” high. Place skimmer in “sump”/10g tank and run a hose or pipes up to the back of the tank. Is this correct?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to have an overflow on your tank to feed water to the "sump" and then a pump in the "sump" to pump water back to the tank.

The issue is without baffles the water level in the sump with the skimmer will fluctuate (which most skimmers do not like) as water evaporates so you will need to top of regularly to keep the water level somewhat consistent (or even better use an ATO).

The other issue is with an overflow on the tank is that there is extra water that drains from the tank to the sump if the return pump is turned off, so you have to make sure you have room in the sump to accommodate the extra water.

Setting up what you are suggesting is adding a sump to the tank and I'd reccomend if you are going to do it use a bigger tank and add some baffles. You can do it for cheap.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a HoB skimmer instead. Problem solved.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a HoB skimmer instead. Problem solved.
I really don’t wNt nothing hanging on the back. ThTs why I got rid of my hob filter, and with protein skimmers those cups when they get filled are a sight for sore eyes

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t wNt nothing hanging on the back. ThTs why I got rid of my hob filter
Then the only option is to empty your tank, drill it, and refill. Without drilling you at minimum would have to use a HoB overflow to feed your sump.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to have an overflow on your tank to feed water to the "sump" and then a pump in the "sump" to pump water back to the tank.

The issue is without baffles the water level in the sump with the skimmer will fluctuate (which most skimmers do not like) as water evaporates so you will need to top of regularly to keep the water level somewhat consistent (or even better use an ATO).

The other issue is with an overflow on the tank is that there is extra water that drains from the tank to the sump if the return pump is turned off, so you have to make sure you have room in the sump to accommodate the extra water.

Setting up what you are suggesting is adding a sump to the tank and I'd reccomend if you are going to do it use a bigger tank and add some baffles. You can do it for cheap.
Sheesh, sounds like a headache.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the only option is to empty your tank, drill it, and refill. Without drilling you at minimum would have to use a HoB overflow to feed your sump.
Sheesh, I guess I’m better off having the hob and building a canopy

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh, I guess I’m better off having the hob and building a canopy
Hooking up a sump isn't hard, but it's harder if your tank doesn't already have an overflow (I'm assuming yours doesn't). Thats made even harder if it's already filled with animals in it. To make it easier you can use a hob overflow, but those have fell out of favor in the hobby and IMO for good reason. If they lose siphon (which in theory shouldn't happen) they will overflow your tank with the water from your sump.

Adding a sump to put a skimmer in isn't as easy as I believe you thought it was. If you're going to do it at least make the sump big enough that you can use it for more than a skimmer. If not willing to properly add a sump my suggestion would also be to just use a hob skimmer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooking up a sump isn't hard, but it's harder if your tank doesn't already have an overflow (I'm assuming yours doesn't). Thats made even harder if it's already filled with animals in it. To make it easier you can use a hob overflow, but those have fell out of favor in the hobby and IMO for good reason. If they lose siphon (which in theory shouldn't happen) they will overflow your tank with the water from your sump.

Adding a sump to put a skimmer in isn't as easy as I believe you though it was. If you're going to do it at least make the sump big enough that you can use it for more than a skimmer. If not willing to properly add a sump my suggestion would also be to just use a hob skimmer.
Any suggestions for a good hob skimmer? I assume would have to be double the tank size correct? 75g

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for a good hob skimmer? I assume would have to be double the tank size correct? 75g
No. Get one that is properly sized. I have a reef octo on my 90 gallon and love it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I have and would work for your tank too. BRS is out of stock though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back