0 nitrates but had 5

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reset my wifes fluval 13.5 in her office with a large aquascape a guy gave me. The rick has coraline algae all over it. It had 5 ppm nitrates last weekend before i added a shrimp, possum wrasse and goby all very small fish. (All of the inhabitants were in a so called QT tank until i added them in the fluval. It was daily WC and i was over it for the last three weeks. So please dont flame me for adding the fish at once)

I used ammonia and turbo start to cycle. Zero ammonia was detected 2 weeks ago. So its been dormant for about 2.5 weeks until adding fish

Today i test everything and get
0 ppm nitrates
.04 phos
8.4 ph
1.025 salinity

Any idea how nitrates plummet so quickly?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are really not a big deal. Especially 5 ppm. The ammonia and nitrites are what you should be looking at and getting past before you ad fish. I still bet you’re good because of wc and the turbo start.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reset my wifes fluval 13.5 in her office with a large aquascape a guy gave me. The rick has coraline algae all over it. It had 5 ppm nitrates last weekend before i added a shrimp, possum wrasse and goby all very small fish. (All of the inhabitants were in a so called QT tank until i added them in the fluval. It was daily WC and i was over it for the last three weeks. So please dont flame me for adding the fish at once)

I used ammonia and turbo start to cycle. Zero ammonia was detected 2 weeks ago. So its been dormant for about 2.5 weeks until adding fish

Today i test everything and get
0 ppm nitrates
.04 phos
8.4 ph
1.025 salinity

Any idea how nitrates plummet so quickly?
A well lit tank with algae, even the microscopic kind, can easily strip a tank of nitra…

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back