OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't start playing catch up, I'll probably forget something...

Rewind to a few weeks back and I participated in my first ever live sale. Reeftide's Pot of Gold Sale. I literally spent 8hrs glued to my phone hitting refresh. It was definitely fun, but also a little much for me and the family being glued to my dang phone all day. I didn't want to miss a really good deal or one of a couple frags I was hoping for. All in all I bought 10 and received 1 freebie. Here is what I got:

Raja Rampage chalice
Pompeii chalice
Green micro
Yellow Submarine favia
Anti Venom favia
Jelly Bean favites
Nightcrawler favites
Blow Pop zoa
Mystique zoa
Splatter hammer
Meteor Shower cyphastrea

Shipping was fast and well packaged. I was very pleased with that. Everything appeared healthy as well. I have had them all for nearly 3 weeks and everything is doing well except for the splatter hammer. It started great, but after a few days it receded a lot and got the pinched tentacle look. Long story short, it has lost lots of tentacles and has been sitting in a low flow/area for a couple weeks now. I'm not sure if it'll make it or not.

Now for some photos!

IMG_20220323_165302939.jpg

IMG_20220323_165248339.jpg

IMG_20220331_212347321.jpg

IMG_20220323_165233101.jpg

IMG_20220323_224056565.jpg
IMG_20220323_224048633.jpg

IMG_20220323_165056188.jpg

IMG_20220323_224346786.jpg

IMG_20220323_163542360.jpg

Before...

IMG_20220323_165254059.jpg

And how it's going...

IMG_20220402_091044636.jpg

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the same day that my coral shipment arrived, the BRS order with the new RODI filters, Hanna phosphate checker, and Salifert magnesium test came in as well.

The magnesium was reading 1125 that day and 1090 the next. Wow, that's really low. I decided it was time to start dosing. I couldn't go to the lfs for a couple days, but when I did, I picked up Fritz Alk, Ca, and Mag. The person working at the store told me to just dump half the bottle of magnesium in and see what it reads. I was told you can't raise it too fast. I wasn't sure if that was accurate so I did some research and just followed the directions on the bottle which had me dose 125ml. It took several days of raising it by about 120ppm/day, but it finally arrived at the 1350+ range. Alk was dropping at the same time during Mag dosing and I wanted calcium bumped up a bit. I was testing twice a day for about 10 days straight. I have to dose everyday and have been able to sustain Alk at 7.7, Ca 395-400, and Mag at 1350-1425 currently.

As for phosphate, the Hanna first tested at 0.31, then 0.55. I wasn't sure if it was accurate or not because I made some rookie mistakes such as spilling reagent powder and shaking the bottle causing mico bubbles. I only have 10 packs of reagent so phosphate isn't tested often. The past 2 tests have been 0.41 and 0.39. I believe these to be more accurate.
Obviously this is quite high. I'm looking into options to safely drop them while not blowing the bank and causing more work than needed. I did clean out the skimmer and placed it in the tank. After 3 days of running, phosphate was 0.39, but nitrate dropped to 5ppm. I really want it at least 10 like it has been so the skimmer is not currently running. I'm curious if high phosphate is why my corals, more specifically zoas have stopped growing? They are all looking great, just not growing.
25 packs of reagent have been ordered, but they aren't due for delivery for a few weeks.

Lastly, everything on my RODI has been changed out. Membrane, sediment, DI, and 1 and 5 micron carbon. It is making water at lightning quick speeds. 70ish minutes vs 4.5hrs previously. I've since overflowed the jugs twice...

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I've been dosing, I've noticed my lps looking a lot better. The toadstool as well. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks of consistent good levels of calcium and magnesium. Alk was pretty stable before. Generally 8.45-8.6 and only occasionally 8.3. Since dosing, it's sitting at 7.7.
Phosphate is the next parameter to tackle.

While the new hammer continues to struggle, the original hammer is really taking off. It's splitting a 3rd and possibly a 4th head right now.

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing I forgot to mention is that I sold my green agave, green paly, and Nirvana. With all of the new corals coming in, it's time to get more selective on what we have. I didn't want to, however, my wife insisted and has been complaining about those for weeks. What's funny is she chose 2 of those...
The zoa/paly garden is forever changed.

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last update for now. A week from today I'm taking the family to the Indianapolis Children's Museum. Afterward, I'm picking this up.

Screenshot_20220411-145849.png

I've been wanting a Mccosker's Wrasse, but they've been non-existent in my area. Thankfully someone on here has one. I'm really looking forward to getting him!

That's it for now, folks. There is yet another major update as well as several other things things, but I'll save that for next time.

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This arrived today...

IMG_20220411_171927391.jpg

IMG_20220411_191742547.jpg

I compared the reviews between the OW-10 and 25. The 25 was supposed to have much better power overall and it definitely doesn't disappoint. It's only been running a few hours now, but I currently have it set at level 3, random flow. What a world of difference compared to the Hydor 240. I'm still using one Hydor on the opposite side for the time being. I plan to upgrade that side to an OW-10 in the future. I'm not seeing the big dead spots as before and the water surface is receiving phenomenal agitation. No more dust all over the surface.
The clowns seem to enjoy playing in the hefty current, but the RG has yet to come out of the rocks.

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, nearly 2 months since I last posted on this thread. I've been incredibly busy with a new job and life now that it's warmer out. I still can't post much of anything right now, but in a nutshell, all was well with my reef right up to almost the 4 month mark. Then, the majority of my corals, especially the zoas, began melting and withering away quickly. After about 2 weeks of not knowing what was wrong, I realized my nitrate test kit was super inaccurate and my nitrates were actually 0 for probably 3+ weeks. I ordered Brightwell Neonitro and after about a week of dosing, most corals began bouncing back. I did officially lose my Utter Chaos. The first coral loss. Some others are hanging on, but not sure if they'll make it or not. There are some corals that are thriving relatively speaking as well.
That's all I have time for. Maybe a better update with photos will come soon. Tomorrow, the tank officially hits 5 months!

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow marks 1 year since starting this adventure. A lot has happened both good and bad during this past year. Watching hundreds of dollars worth of coral die sucks, but hopefully the knowledge gained will far outweigh the losses.
I definitely dropped updating this thread big time and with things at work and life settling a bit, hopefully I can get back to posting more regularly. For the time being, I'll start with a then and now.

Back in April, my reef was pretty darn cool. All was well and I couldn't have been happier.

IMG_20220420_192532808.jpg

Then things started to go downhill and by May/June corals were dying and I couldn't figure it out. A faulty test kit showed 5-10 nitrates, but in reality it was 0. I dosed Brightwell Neonitro which helped at first, but then what I now know was dinos took hold in July. At that point nitrates were well above 0 (10-15) so I checked dinos off the list. It was a long summer... We'll save all of those details for a future post. For now, just know that the dinos have been gone since mid November and I have very recently started adding corals back. Some of the original corals continued to grow through all of this while some are still on the brink of death or haven't changed good or bad. The softies were the hardest hit as I essentially lost all of my zoas and ricordia. The toadstool lives, but won't extend it's polyps much at all. All 3 of my hammers are gone too. My goni has been closed for months. However, some such as my jack o lantern, meteor shower, and raja rampage are essentially coming back from the dead. Before and after pics definitely coming soon. The candy cane, jelly bean, and yellow submarine continued to grow, however.
The new corals are all doing very well. More pics to come.
Here is my current look as of a couple days ago without a filter.

IMG_20221231_223855538.jpg

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is officially 1 years old today. In some ways, I wish I had started this sooner. After keeping freshwater for about 18 years it was long past time, but I was hesitant. High cost, high risk, and a more sensitive environment made me second guess my skills. After keeping some of these things alive for a year now has been very challenging, but incredibly rewarding as well.
It's been an interesting journey. Lots of ups and downs, but even as recently as a few weeks ago, I'm still discovering new life in my tank. The diversity is truly incredible. Even in a small tank like this. I literally don't know what I may discover every time I peer inside this glass box, good or bad. It's always changing. Sorta like city life I suppose.

Some of the challenges I've faced over the past year:

Faulty refractometer
Faulty calibration fluid
Dinos
Hydroids
Apstasia
Bryopsis
High phosphate
Power loss for nearly 24 hours

A list of just a handful of the rewards:

Corals
Tank diversity
Fish
I've met a couple really cool local reefers
Reef knowledge
Keeping stuff alive!

My family and I have gotten a lot out of this project and I'm curious/excited for what's to come.
In time, I really need to back track and show off everything in better detail. Until then, a photo from last night before a standard 20% WC.

IMG_20230105_164649816.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is officially 1 years old today. In some ways, I wish I had started this sooner. After keeping freshwater for about 18 years it was long past time, but I was hesitant. High cost, high risk, and a more sensitive environment made me second guess my skills. After keeping some of these things alive for a year now has been very challenging, but incredibly rewarding as well.
It's been an interesting journey. Lots of ups and downs, but even as recently as a few weeks ago, I'm still discovering new life in my tank. The diversity is truly incredible. Even in a small tank like this. I literally don't know what I may discover every time I peer inside this glass box, good or bad. It's always changing. Sorta like city life I suppose.

Some of the challenges I've faced over the past year:

Faulty refractometer
Faulty calibration fluid
Dinos
Hydroids
Apstasia
Bryopsis
High phosphate
Power loss for nearly 24 hours

A list of just a handful of the rewards:

Corals
Tank diversity
Fish
I've met a couple really cool local reefers
Keeping stuff alive!

My family and I have gotten a lot out of this project and I'm curious/excited for what's to come.
In time, I really need to back track and show off everything in better detail. Until then, a photo from last night before a standard 20% WC.

IMG_20230105_164649816.jpg
Tank looks really good!! I love the aquascape design you have in your tank

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share my first torch. This is an early birthday present and man was it worth the year long wait. Lazy's Coral House currently has a really, really good deal on gold indo torches. I am not disappointed at all. This was put in the tank yesterday.

IMG_20230108_201432322.jpg

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share my first torch. This is an early birthday present and man was it worth the year long wait. Lazy's Coral House currently has a really, really good deal on gold indo torches. I am not disappointed at all. This was put in the tank yesterday.

IMG_20230108_201432322.jpg

Very nice! Did you by chance have a YouTube channel? I’m in Cincy as well and I followed that channel, but they never updated it.

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Did you by chance have a YouTube channel? I’m in Cincy as well and I followed that channel, but they never updated it.
I do, but it's mostly bass guitar and skydiving videos lol I've been thinking about doing some reef videos, but nothing has been done yet.
Lazy has a YouTube channel? Didn't know that. He updates his website very often. Definitely worth the drive to Dayton!

I'll have to check out your build thread...

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, but it's mostly bass guitar and skydiving videos lol I've been thinking about doing some reef videos, but nothing has been done yet.
Lazy has a YouTube channel? Didn't know that. He updates his website very often. Definitely worth the drive to Dayton!

I'll have to check out your build thread...

Oh haha I was referring to the channel that I think was called cincyreefer.

Are you going to the frag swap on the 21st?

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh haha I was referring to the channel that I think was called cincyreefer.

Are you going to the frag swap on the 21st?
Ah yes, that's a different cincyreefer. I'm assuming it's the guy who had a build thread on here last year and stopped posting during the summer. He did have some videos. Not sure what happened to him.

Yes, I plan to go. This will be my first time. Definitely excited! Are you going?

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, that's a different cincyreefer. I'm assuming it's the guy who had a build thread on here last year and stopped posting during the summer. He did have some videos. Not sure what happened to him.

Yes, I plan to go. This will be my first time. Definitely excited! Are you going?
Yup! Went last year, had no idea what I was doing. The coral was really fair priced though and people were nice. Looking forward to going this year now that I know a thing or two.

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely spend more time working on my tank or looking in it than updating this thread...

This past Saturday was the Cincy Reef Swap. First swap and what a good time. It's amazing how cheap some hobbyist sell their corals for and I was able to get some really good deals including scoring a HG micro for a fraction of what everyone else charges.
My wife picked out 3, daughter picked out one, I picked 3, and wife/I chose one together so it was a family event for sure. My son was happy enough collecting business cards and stickers off everyone's table lol Here is what we got...

IMG_20230121_214408284.jpg

IMG_20230121_172242707.jpg

IMG_20230121_214351168.jpg

IMG_20230122_184345078.jpg

IMG_20230122_185637952.jpg

IMG_20230122_185557994.jpg
IMG_20230122_185317021.jpg

IMG_20230121_171918777.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back