I'm thinking i will do some testing and see if (a) my rodi water tests positive for any phosphate and (b) my premixed salt has any phosphate. If both of those seem not to be the problem then I know it's either my food or my sand and rock, correct? I am fighting a rather bad case I cyano right now and wonder if the high phosphates are contributing to that
Okay I've been nixed on the forum before for this but here goes my friend.
Cyno can/will grow in any tank, mature or otherwise.
It's a bacteria which is out competing better, more desirable algae, whether that be green, brown, orange. Whatever.
I've only had Cyno when phos or trates were 0,or super close.
There's a balance of nutrients each tank maintains and it's different in every tank.
Some call it and follow the redfield ratio, which I mentioned yesterday.
I don't know if any tank hits that ratio but there is a ratio nonetheless.
My little tank has been disconnected from my big tank for months now.
I'm getting Cyno in there so I tested and sure enough, 0 phos, 2 trates.
Yikes!
I haven't changed water in there for months how can this be?
Whether I'm making sense I don't know but right now my suggestion is to blast all cyno areas with more flow and don't do a water change.
Nothing wrong with cyno it's just ugly.
As soon as I get my son to school we can discuss the gfo.
Short version:
Trates are too low, phos too high.
Doubting salt/rodi has any phos.
Most likely food but mostly leaching from rocks. Very common.