0ppm nitrates. Thanks to algae scrubbers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joeganja
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 10, 2014
Messages
2,891
Reaction score
974
Location
Modesto, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me about 8 years but finally installed an algae scrubber for $30 and got my nitrates to 0. Like jeez that's insane I think. We spend all of our efforts to bring it down under 5ppm well let me guide you towards algae scrubbers. The uprising of them. They will really help. Especially for people who have sps like me.
 
Following. I'm getting one for my new build.
 
I noticed I have best colors when my nitrates are around 5. I'm at 0 right now and I'm adding nitrates because it's too low. LOL
Yeah I was reading your post man. I'm just surprised on why too low of nitrates would affect sps like why would they need nitrates if they are the main key to lower them in order to have success in keeping a sps dominant tank. Like alk affects sps big time but wouldn't you think nitrates need to be as low as possible.
 
Yeah I was reading your post man. I'm just surprised on why too low of nitrates would affect sps like why would they need nitrates if they are the main key to lower them in order to have success in keeping a sps dominant tank. Like alk affects sps big time but wouldn't you think nitrates need to be as low as possible.

I know what you mean. Before I always tried to keep them as low as possible and that worked. For some reason on this system now, it's naturally low and I have a ton of fish. Since dosing nitrates my colors are getting better. Also started dosing aminos too. Which add nitrates but not phosphates (so they say). With that combo I'm seeing some positive results. Hopefully in a few more months the changes will be significant.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new