OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of day one. No real aggression, but definetly some tension. I feel really close to the livestock limit of this tank. I feel like things will calm down as time passes. The clowns are extremely active, but not going after anyone. Their presence is enough to stir things up though. The firefish's tail is split, but I have not seen anyone go after him. The yellow watchman goby's dorsal is a little ruffled. I have seen the lawnmower blenny take a couple of runs at him, but he is standing up for himself more than usual. Everyone is eating.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch that fire goby closely hell be the first to get beat up check regularly and move him or the clowns if you see any aggression just speaking from personal experience good luck

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns will be easier to catch as the goby is far faster and will likely dive into the rockscape

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch that fire goby closely hell be the first to get beat up check regularly and move him or the clowns if you see any aggression just speaking from personal experience good luck

The Firefish is actually totally cool with the clowns. He is their buddy. The Royal Gramma used to heckle the Firesfish, but now that the clowns hang out with him, the Royal Gramma leaves him alone.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone us settling in nicely except the Yellow Watchman Goby. The tension seems to be expressing itself at the bottom of the pecking order. Now the Lawnmower Blenny has completely displaced the YWG from the bottom of the tank. There are plenty of caves, but the LMB just runs the YWG out of every spot. The YWG hangs out in the top corners, and even allows himself to be impinged on the intake to rest. I stuck my magna float up in one corner, and he takes advantage of that for a perch but I am concerned about him getting food. I do see him foraging on the sand bed at night when the lights are off. So I ordered a magnet rock ledge to hopefully give him some new space to call his own. I think I will be able to target feed him up there also. It arrives tomorrow.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Firefish is actually totally cool with the clowns. He is their buddy. The Royal Gramma used to heckle the Firesfish, but now that the clowns hang out with him, the Royal Gramma leaves him alone.
Score for you man glad to here you had success not many do is all

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The YWG still floats between the top of the tank and his spot on the sand bed. I am very pleased with the magnet rock ledge that I bought, but he has yet to use it. I am able to shoosh him down and target feed him at feeding time, and he if puffing up in a threat display to defend himself, so I am still hopeful, but I know that CONSTANT stress will take its toll on him. I am watching him closely...

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, you called that one. My female clown just freaked out and killed the fire fish. Pretty sad. He was my first saltwater fish. Happened so quick there was not much I could do. It was probably the space of two hours we went from normal to "you must die", like with a vengeance...

Hopefully things will calm down now.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The YWG has been having a hard time of it... The LMB started back in on him, and the Royal Gramma does not help. The clowns basically ignore him, but he has been on the ropes for a few days now. He allows himself to be impinged on the top pump return and just hangs there all day. When the lights are out he comes down and forages around, but there is not much food left by that time.

I just put him in my DIY acclimation box with some food. He is chilling. I hope to get his health back up and then I think I will try and find a new home for him. Any thoughts or advice?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back