1 clown or 2?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is time for my last finned livestock addition. I would like to add a clown, or maybe a pair. If I get one, it would be larger and more expensive. If I get two, they would be standard inexpensive baby clowns. Are they cool flying solo? Or do they really need a clown partner for optimal conditions? Would I be over stocking to add 2? Also, any recommendations for additional cuc? The only issue I currently have is green hair algae.

Current livestock is:
1 Yellow watchman goby
1 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Royal Gramma
1 Tiger Sand Conch
1 hermit
3 nessarius snails
8 corals, softies and lps

Stealthprix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think you should be okay adding a pair but that will be a fairly large bioload. What's causing your hair algae? Excess nitrates? Adding more fish could possibly make that problem worse.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you have the lights on for? Are the lights on 100%? Is the tank near any windows? What are phosphates? I have 3 clowns in my tank. I have 2 that are a pair and don’t leave each other side. My first purchase. Love seeing them together. And my other one is attached to an anemone so they all do their own thing. Personally I would get 2 clowns.

Stealthprix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always kept pairs. I had a short-lived pico that was only stocked with a single clown and it just wasn't the same. Not to me at least.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates always test zero. I assume they are wrapped up in the algae. I am running purfiltrum too. I manually remove some from time to time, but I am also interested in feeding my lawn mower blenny, so I don't really mind the algae. Tank is 5 months old. Already been through cyanobacteria.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you running the lights for?

Blues ramp up for 1 hour in the am, than whites ramp up for 1 hour and stay on for 8 hours with blues too. Whites then ramp down for 1 hour then blues ramp down for an additional hour. Then no lights for 12 hours. Phosphates always test zero.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blues ramp up for 1 hour in the am, than whites ramp up for 1 hour and stay on for 8 hours with blues too. Whites then ramp down for 1 hour then blues ramp down for an additional hour. Then no lights for 12 hours. Phosphates always test zero.
12 hrs is a long time from what I’ve heard. I only keep mine on for 8 hrs. From 12-1pm it’s all blue then from 1-7pm it’s white and blue then at 7-8pm it’s just all blue. If you have any red or green lights the algae loves those so if u can turn them off the I would if not no big deal.

Stealthprix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do more frequent water changes and reduce light duration at least for awhile and see if you can kill off some of that algae. Adding more fish will lead to higher nitrates which will in turn feed the algae.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, you don’t need to have a pair of Clownfish...a single Clown will be fine! I have two nano tanks with a pair of designer Clowns in the one tank and a single True Percula in my other tank.
Here is the problem I foresee with adding a pair of Clowns to your tank.
You may have an issue with your Firefish and/or Royal Gramma becoming scared or picked on by your potential newcomer/s. Clownfish are territorial! A mated pair would pose a bigger problem due to elevated aggression in their territory. A single Clown, not so much.
As for CUC, you may want to try adding a Black Diadema Sea Urchin and increase the amount of snails and species to what you currently have. Also, up the number of hermits too. Caribbean Red Legs and Scarlet Reef hermits are an ideal choice. Look into adding shrimp and a couple Emerald Crabs to your population as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back