1 Day tank swap advise

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
I have a new tank and stand that is going to be set up in the same spot the current tank sits on.
I have to do this in 1 day because I have to have someone come and help me take the tank from my garage to my basement. I then need help to move the old tank, set and level the new stand and lift the new tank onto the stand. The rest of the setup will be just me.
The total water volume on the new tank is almost the same, about 100 gallons or so.
I have new live sand and a new caribsea life rock aquascape that I'll be using. I have about 8-10 lbs. of 25 year old Fiji rock that has been in my sump for about 2 years and maybe about 10 lbs. of the same rock in my DT I will be using.
Should I use mostly new water or most of the current tank water?
Do you think I have enough of the old seeded rock for the swap?
Should I add bottle bacteria?
Do you think my plan is doable or doomed?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in one of those black Rubbermaid livestock troughs and remove everything (or most of it) there in-advance. If you use new saltwater I'd probably add something like Bio-Spira with all the new rock you're adding.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are heavily stocked, adding some bottle bac wouldn't hurt, but 20lbs of live rock will seed the rest pretty quickly. I would go with something like half existing water and half new.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back