1" FS-100 Flow Sensor Stopped working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Chavin20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my FMK right when it was released in 2017. I also order an extra 1/2" flow sensor. (Total one 1" and three 1/2")
Couple of months after installing the 1" for the return pump and one 1/2" flow sensor for Carbon reactor, the 1/2" stopped working. I took it out, checked, cleaned,reinstalled it, still no reading. I did not contact Neptune. I was busy with work. I did not really need it, plus I have extra.

Last night (7 PM), when I got home the 1" sensor also stopped working. I checked the flow graph, it stopped reading around 1:30 PM. I took it out to clean, still does not work.

I believe they are out of warranty. Anyone know how to fix it?

OP
OP
Chavin20

Chavin20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say clean, did you take it completely apart and verify the paddle wheel is spinning freely?

I did not took it completely apart. I spray vinegar into the paddle wheel, let sit, spray some more, let sit, then pour water in it, and also verify that it was spinning freely.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine stopped working it was because it was filled with crud in the socket that holds that paddle wheel. If you take the cover off you can pop out that wheel and clean really good and then put back together. If this doesn't solve your problem then it would be an electrical problem, loose wire or something like that.

OP
OP
Chavin20

Chavin20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine stopped working it was because it was filled with crud in the socket that holds that paddle wheel. If you take the cover off you can pop out that wheel and clean really good and then put back together. If this doesn't solve your problem then it would be an electrical problem, loose wire or something like that.

Thank you, I will try taking it apart.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar issues. Fmm lock up when I hook up more than flow meter. And from what I understood similar issues occur when you hook 1" flow meter.
1st check of the flow meter stop working or the module is locking up
2nd if you have more than this flow meter connected to the fmm, unplug and test the flow meter alone after you factory reset the fmm module
3rd contact neptune with your observation.
In my case thu neptune graciously offered to change my flow meter I stopped using the fmm entirely not for flow not for ATO. I did not want to risk it given how many issues people are reporting with fmm, atk and the flow meters.
For flow I purchased japanese PRS flow meter, 1000 times better and more accurate than neptune.

OP
OP
Chavin20

Chavin20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar issues. Fmm lock up when I hook up more than flow meter. And from what I understood similar issues occur when you hook 1" flow meter.
1st check of the flow meter stop working or the module is locking up
2nd if you have more than this flow meter connected to the fmm, unplug and test the flow meter alone after you factory reset the fmm module
3rd contact neptune with your observation.
In my case thu neptune graciously offered to change my flow meter I stopped using the fmm entirely not for flow not for ATO. I did not want to risk it given how many issues people are reporting with fmm, atk and the flow meters.
For flow I purchased japanese PRS flow meter, 1000 times better and more accurate than neptune.

I haven’t have the time to play around with it. When I do and it do not work, I will remove it. It takes up space anyway.
I will look into PRS flow meter.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the PRS is any different than the Neptune. They both look to be the same specs and use the same off the shelf sensor (YF-G1 DN25).

Both have the same mold release points.
Both have the same orientation of the cable exiting the housing.

So I'm not sure purchasing a PRS is going to give you anything better than what Neptune offers.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the PRS is any different than the Neptune. They both look to be the same specs and use the same off the shelf sensor (YF-G1 DN25).

Both have the same mold release points.
Both have the same orientation of the cable exiting the housing.

So I'm not sure purchasing a PRS is going to give you anything better than what Neptune offers.
Well I have the prs for 3 years now and have 3 neptune flow meters. All of neptune flow meters either give less accurate reading or flat out do not work.
Also it's about the controller unit not only the flow meter itself. With Neptune ly fmm itself lock down and screw many other functions.
I run zeovit and flow reading is very important on my reactors, I only trust PRS and this is from experince.
Also spec is a sheet of paper with some vendors. I learned that the hard way.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I periodically disassemble the apex flow sensors and makes sure that any debris is removed from the paddle and from the pin pivot points. So far has restored function in all cases.

OP
OP
Chavin20

Chavin20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I periodically disassemble the apex flow sensors and makes sure that any debris is removed from the paddle and from the pin pivot points. So far has restored function in all cases.
Good tip, if it works after disassembled and cleaned, I will add this to my maintenance schedule.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back