1 MP60QD for 210 reef?

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 210 gallon (6'x2'*2.5') SPS dominant tank. It will have ~230 pounds of LR and 320# or more of sand. My current aquascape plan is to have 2 mounds of rock with caves and hiding spaces about a third of the way in from each side. That could easily change to incorporate a bridge between them.

Will 1 MP60QD give me enough flow ( depending on mode)?
Would I be better off with 2 MP40's or adding something like a Maxspect or other gyre?

TIA,

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is Acropora /SPS dominate.

I started my 210 with one MP60 on one end and 2 MP40’s on the back. It was ok until my acros stared getting big, then I added another MP60 on the other end.

A while later due to low flow areas again with bigger colonies I added 2 more MP40’s one on each end toward the back and higher than the MP60’s.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps in terms of liters per hour but it will in no way be sufficient to create the random flow that you need. Just using one pump will also lead to tons of dead spots etc.
I would definitely go with more and smaller pumps.
In my sps dominated 1000L tank I use two octo puls 4’s, three Sicce SDC’s mounted on OceanMotions and a tunze wavebox and I still have dead spots and difficulty getting proper flow to larger colonies.

OP
OP
cmor1701d

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is Acropora /SPS dominate.

I started my 210 with one MP60 on one end and 2 MP40’s on the back. It was ok until my acros stared getting big, then I added another MP60 on the other end.

A while later due to low flow areas again with bigger colonies I added 2 more MP40’s one on each end toward the back and higher than the MP60’s.
Wow. Always chasing flow for the across. I guess 1 will work to start with small colonies but I need to work on adding more.
Thank you.

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's also discuss your lr and sand plans. Are you chasing pound numbers or just plain rock density? Is this all going in the main display or split between DT and sump? I would be less concerned with rock weights and more areas that they take up. Keep in mind that as the frags grow into colonies and fill in rock spaces, you maybe forced to remove structures to afford growth space.

If you are looking into rockwork for colony placement I would recommend less is more and to utilize the magnetic frag racks for the back wall to give corals room to grow. If you haven't watched them yet, brstv has a set of vids on aquascaping.

OP
OP
cmor1701d

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps in terms of liters per hour but it will in no way be sufficient to create the random flow that you need. Just using one pump will also lead to tons of dead spots etc.
I would definitely go with more and smaller pumps.
In my sps dominated 1000L tank I use two octo puls 4’s, three Sicce SDC’s mounted on OceanMotions and a tunze wavebox and I still have dead spots and difficulty getting proper flow to larger colonies.
Interesting thought. So adding 5-6 approx 2,000 gph wave pumps around the tank would give me better flow all around.
Any way to control that many together?
Thanks for the thought.

OP
OP
cmor1701d

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's also discuss your lr and sand plans. Are you chasing pound numbers or just plain rock density? Is this all going in the main display or split between DT and sump? I would be less concerned with rock weights and more areas that they take up. Keep in mind that as the frags grow into colonies and fill in rock spaces, you maybe forced to remove structures to afford growth space.

If you are looking into rockwork for colony placement I would recommend less is more and to utilize the magnetic frag racks for the back wall to give corals room to grow. If you haven't watched them yet, brstv has a set of vids on aquascaping.
I will definitely check out the brs vids. I was planning on using it all in the display tank and possibly putting a few pounds in the sump.
This will be interesting as I was wondering if I needed more rock.

I was planning on fragging colonies that grow to large and trading or selling them.

I plan on starting an aquascaping thread shortly. I'll watch the vids before doing so.
Thank you.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought. So adding 5-6 approx 2,000 gph wave pumps around the tank would give me better flow all around.
Any way to control that many together?
Thanks for the thought.
Well, I would rather add some bigger pumps than that and run them lower but yes, that’s the idea.
No idea about control but I would thing the MP’s would work. If I cared I would use a breakout box for my stuff and control it through my profilux.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back