1 year old majestic angel started hiding?

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so my majestic angel started hiding after being in the tank for awhile. Nothing new was added to the tank. I think i got him in the DT around 6 months ago? At december i thought he died but i found him under the rocks. This guy used to own the middle part of the tank and is now just hiding.

he is still very fat so he is eating a lot so he shouldn’t be suffering. I see him go out once a week (still in the same area) and nothing is bullying him but when i get close he bolts back in. Is he suddenly scared of people? The angel is such a beauty and just started getting the adult colouration, anyway to get him to come out more?

it is a 210
Stocking:
- desjardini tang (boss of the tank)
- hippo tang
- moorish idol
- female spotbreast angel
- a pair of clowns
- Regal angel
- red toothed trigger
- fowlery tang (yes i know these guys get big and i didn’t order one but the seller switched up my bellus with it and he is still small. I’m still looking for someone who will take this guy, don’t even mind for free.)

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you feeding at the same time everyday and the fish isn’t out there begging? that’s odd,
Red shirts “sometimes” send my fish into a panic, although my corollary could be wrong..
You sure someone didn’t all of a sudden start bullying?

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you feeding at the same time everyday and the fish isn’t out there begging? that’s odd,
Red shirts “sometimes” send my fish into a panic, although my corollary could be wrong..
You sure someone didn’t all of a sudden start bullying?
Maybe i feed so much they are not begging anymore? the auto feeder goes off 4x a day and i also feed frozen and nori. The angel used to bully the moorish but i feel like it is getting bolder now as the moorish is now bigger then when i got em.

Maybe the guests scared him off? i have a feeling someone has been poking at the glass behind my back. I've had both children and adults poke at the glass which send the fishes running (If thats the right term), although most of them swim back to the front of the glass after a few seconds. Even if i tell them off they might still do it behind my back ;Meh.

ill try to watch more carefully with bullying too

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so my majestic angel started hiding after being in the tank for awhile. Nothing new was added to the tank. I think i got him in the DT around 6 months ago? At december i thought he died but i found him under the rocks. This guy used to own the middle part of the tank and is now just hiding.

he is still very fat so he is eating a lot so he shouldn’t be suffering. I see him go out once a week (still in the same area) and nothing is bullying him but when i get close he bolts back in. Is he suddenly scared of people? The angel is such a beauty and just started getting the adult colouration, anyway to get him to come out more?

it is a 210
Stocking:
- desjardini tang (boss of the tank)
- hippo tang
- moorish idol
- female spotbreast angel
- a pair of clowns
- Regal angel
- red toothed trigger
- fowlery tang (yes i know these guys get big and i didn’t order one but the seller switched up my bellus with it and he is still small. I’m still looking for someone who will take this guy, don’t even mind for free.)
I’d recommend looking out for any signs of bullying (Especially from the trigger and tangs). Possibly try lure out the majestic with food.

Also, back to the bullying, best way to catch a bully is:
Set your phone down with the full tank in view, and record a 45-50 minute long video.
The biggest key to this working is:
You MUST walk away from the tank for that time. Fish sometimes act different when you’re there.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend looking out for any signs of bullying (Especially from the trigger and tangs). Possibly try lure out the majestic with food.

Also, back to the bullying, best way to catch a bully is:
Set your phone down with the full tank in view, and record a 45-50 minute long video.
The biggest key to this working is:
You MUST walk away from the tank for that time. Fish sometimes act different when you’re there.
Oh never thought of doing that! the fish all follow people around so they might not be bullying eachother so much when peoples around!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a majestic in my 210g for over 10 years, he pretty much works the rocks. He's out but definitely in the rocks more, maybe that's just their thing.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a majestic in my 210g for over 10 years, he pretty much works the rocks. He's out but definitely in the rocks more, maybe that's just their thing.
i see.. well he still seems to be eating alot from what i see from his belly, Ill try watching for signs of bullying anyway just in case.

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Majestic that was only bullied at night or early in the morning when no one was watching. We didn't even know who the bully was. We suspected a Goldenheart trigger. And it eventually chased the Majestic against an intake tube and he got stuck and died. And the Majestic was the biggest fish in the tank.

It seems when I watch or feed the tank I see some bullying and when I am not looking (no one is looking) there is another kind of bullying. But thats what I would put my money on. You can even buy a cheap camper to set up to view the tank through your phone anytime. We are looking at doing this with our DT.

What to do about it is a different story. If the Majestic is not beat up and eating you can just let it go, but you never know when it takes a turn for the worse. I recently lost a small angel to a bully and now he is picking on my Pesonifer. At this point I have decided to let it play out but it is concerning for sure.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%

Back