10+ foot tank considerations?

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 220 gallon 72x30x24 peninsula and looking to upgrade to either 10 foot 120x36x31 or 12 foot 144x36x31 non-peninsula. I'm curious for those who have similar tank sizes on how best to configure the tank build based on your experience. It will be glass and eurobraced for a SPS tank.

Are there things you would do differently that would have made maintenance easier?

overflow type ? external/c2c/etc.

Did you wish you would have gotten it drilled for closed loop?

how many return lines?

I have a 60" sump, is that enough for a tank double my current size ?

Thanks in advance.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not have a tank this large currently I used to maintain an 8x4x4 Reef at the LFS I worked at and I helped install some 22 x 3 x 5 Swim tanks.

Water movement is extremely difficult with tanks this large. The 22 ft tanks had closed loops and this is likely how would go if I had a reef that long. There just isn't a great way to get water movement that far down a tank without a closed loop. The Reef tank was peninsula style with 2 return lines. both coming through sea swirls with educators on the far end of the tank opposite the overflow. I liked this set up because it was fairly unobtrusive while adding flow to the far end.

OP
OP
lakai

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not have a tank this large currently I used to maintain an 8x4x4 Reef at the LFS I worked at and I helped install some 22 x 3 x 5 Swim tanks.

Water movement is extremely difficult with tanks this large. The 22 ft tanks had closed loops and this is likely how would go if I had a reef that long. There just isn't a great way to get water movement that far down a tank without a closed loop. The Reef tank was peninsula style with 2 return lines. both coming through sea swirls with educators on the far end of the tank opposite the overflow. I liked this set up because it was fairly unobtrusive while adding flow to the far end.
I was thinking 4 mp60's and reuse my 4 mp40's, its not necessary to go all the way down the length unless its a peninsula right ?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only run the returns all the way down the length for a pinensula. I really feel that powerheads on the far end of a pinensula ruin the look.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the world wide coral 1000 gallon tank video. The hydro wizards are worth the investment… if you don’t want a Cl

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back