10 gallon cold water tank

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am thinking about setting up a 10 gallon cold water tank, with lots of algae and some rock, and was thinking of stocking it with a rock gunnel, but I can’t seem to find any care info for these guys? Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am thinking about setting up a 10 gallon cold water tank, with lots of algae and some rock, and was thinking of stocking it with a rock gunnel, but I can’t seem to find any care info for these guys? Thanks!
I haven’t kept that species, but related fish from the Pacific are pretty straightforward - feeding well on small krill and diced seafoods. Given this species shoreline habitat, I think you should cover the tank very well.
Do you know their required temperature range?
Jay

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I will make sure the tank is covered well with lots of foliage and rocks, I’m just curious on whether or not 10 gallons is big enough and I do not know the temperature range, that is what I am trying to find out. As for feeding what would you reccomend that is relatively easy to feed.
I haven’t kept that species, but related fish from the Pacific are pretty straightforward - feeding well on small krill and diced seafoods. Given this species shoreline habitat, I think you should cover the tank very well.
Do you know their required temperature range?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock gunnel is found in the coastal waters of North America and Europe. It ranges from Labrador and Greenland to Delaware Bay in the West Atlantic, and from the Kanin Peninsula to the Bay of Biscay in the East Atlantic. Within its range it is found from the intertidal zone to depths of over 100 m. Search averge sea temps. in these areas for a reasonable base temp.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock gunnel is found in the coastal waters of North America and Europe. It ranges from Labrador and Greenland to Delaware Bay in the West Atlantic, and from the Kanin Peninsula to the Bay of Biscay in the East Atlantic. Within its range it is found from the intertidal zone to depths of over 100 m. Search averge sea temps. in these areas for a reasonable base temp.
Alright, I will probably keep it around 55-60 degrees. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what temperature do you have to be concern with tank sweating, and does glass thickness come into play? Just curious
Any of the lower temps than room temp can cause glass sweating I’m pretty sure. And yes material and thickness comes into play, acrylic tanks are better for less sweat and the thicker it is the better as it insulates more and sweats less.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what temperature do you have to be concern with tank sweating, and does glass thickness come into play? Just curious
I’ve seen 66 degree water in a tank with 3/4” glass sweat in a humid room. It is a function of water temperature, room air temperature and humidity, insulation value of the glazing plus air motion. Engineers can spec this out pretty well, but I cannot. I think the two factors they use is the dew point and the temperature of the surface of the glazing.
Jay

Back