10 Gallon Frag Tank Nitrate Question

alex408

View Badges
Reaction score
Im setting up a 10 gallon LPS frag tank , My goal is to run a fishless system. Would a decent amount of snails and crabs and daily feeding them produce enough waste to keep me in the 5-10ppm margin , Secondly Im debating on either doing 1/2 sandbed or to run as a bare bottom .

Top Shelf Aquatics

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
it should work in theory, but every one's system is unique. such a small system may likely experience wider swings too at the start.

the system will have to run for months while you log nitrate readings and then start seeing patterns. that should allow you leeway to tweak the snail/crab population. a more direct approach will be water changes as needed if/when you get over the target nitrate range.

OP
alex408

alex408

View Badges
Reaction score
I appreciate the reply makes total sense im going to give a try given it mainly going to be a qt tank more than anything
it should work in theory, but every one's system is unique. such a small system may likely experience wider swings too at the start.

the system will have to run for months while you log nitrate readings and then start seeing patterns. that should allow you leeway to tweak the snail/crab population. a more direct approach will be water changes as needed if/when you get over the target nitrate range.

Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

• Yes

Votes: 75 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Maybe considering the set up

Votes: 116 17.6%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 357 54.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.5%

Online statistics

Members online